Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Had we not have dropped the four points, relegation would be forgotten about and we'd be two points behind sixth place (argh). There'd probably be grounds for this thread.

I think it's a pipe dream atm though - even if seventh place accommodates European qualification.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Is it 6th for Europe this season? Do we have a good chance?

No.

I'd much rather just stay up than get overconfident

I don't think it's totally ridiculous, given that seventh could well be a European place and we're in seventh.

I agree that consolidation of our status is still priority, though. But a good run and it's not impossible. I doubt anyone envisaged us getting into Europe during Souness' last season.

FWIW Europe would cripple our squad, we can barely cope with league games nevermind 8 more games pre-christmas (if we got into group stages). Not that I think it'll happen. Concentrate on safety first and then we can start looking up the table.

Is there much financial gain from coming 6th/7th and qualifying for the Waffa? Like Disco says, if we didn't bulk out the squad, more fixtures would actually damage our domestic season. We can't afford to be next year's victim of "second season syndrome" (there's one every year) just cos we qualified for Europe.

Assuming we do, obvs. :pow:

don't think this is that unrealistic - we're in 7th and that itself may be good enough. what's more we've done well in the past few games with 2 of our best players out and with Nolan, Shola not 100%. As things stand I could see liverpool, everton and bolton overtaking us, but if we took a bit of a gamble and spent money in this window i could see us cementing ourselves in this position.