Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't feel too much spite towards him tbh, probably couldn't believe his luck when we came calling offering a change of scenery for a couple of months when he's injured anyway. Just another farcical decision by NUFC, and similar to the Gosling deal I see it more of taking a punt on getting a decent player on the cheap rather than with any real consideration for the team's needs. Everything we do is centered around the smallest possible financial risk.

Guest neesy111

I can't feel too much spite towards him tbh, probably couldn't believe his luck when we came calling offering a change of scenery for a couple of months when he's injured anyway. Just another farcical decision by NUFC, and similar to the Gosling deal I see it more of taking a punt on getting a decent player on the cheap rather than with any real consideration for the team's needs. Everything we do is centered around the smallest possible financial risk.

Signing players when injured is not a small financial risk tbh.

Guest neesy111

It is if you're not paying them.

If your not paying for wages then aye, but we are paying Gosling and Ireland decent wages.

Guest neesy111

I thought we weren't paying Ireland until he plays?

I've heard nothing about that, I thought we were paying part of his wages.

It is if you're not paying them.

If your not paying for wages then aye, but we are paying Gosling and Ireland decent wages.

i doubt gosling's getting much like?

Enough to by a £800,000 house in October.

Guest Roger Kint

If he's not back and playing by the end of the loan we should just leave him. Too much of a risk.

:kinnear: :mackems:

For God's sake. He's injured! He didn't force himself on the club. If anyone's the complete joke, it's the person who sanctioned the deal, not the player himself.

I think a lot of fans just love to hate footballers generally as they wish they made it themselves!!

If he's not back and playing by the end of the loan we should just leave him. Too much of a risk.

Disagree? Splashing the cash for a nutcase struggling with injuries and playing s*** for Villa for quite some time is wrong/ too big of a big risk imo. I he had shown he still had it here - why not - but obviously he hasn't.

agreed. personally hope we dont sign him permanently as there's better players out there and with all his baggage he's too much of a risk. with the extra carroll money, and having had a few months to plan out transfer targets, hopefully we can find better.

Guest Roger Kint

Disagree? Splashing the cash for a nutcase struggling with injuries and playing s*** for Villa for quite some time is wrong/ too big of a big risk imo. I he had shown he still had it here - why not - but obviously he hasn't.

I was laughing because that was the ultimate statement of the blatently obvious. As if anyone would think Ashley is going to sanction signing him if he doesnt even get fit while here now.

I was laughing because that was the ultimate statement of the blatently obvious. As if anyone would think Ashley is going to sanction signing him if he doesnt even get fit while here now.

Ben Arfa was signed for £5m despite having a broken leg (after playing 2 games) and without the club having any reasonable idea of what he'll be like when he returns. Could say the same about Gosling, who no doubt would have been given a decent signing-on fee as a Bosman. So Ireland being signed irrespective of fitness is not all that unlikely tbf.

I think Ben Arfa is likely to be an exception. The chance to sign a player of his ability for that money is too good to turn down, especially since his leg break seems to have been pretty clean.

Even Gosling was a pretty unique situation... a chance to pick up a good young player for almost nothing.

Guest Roger Kint

Ben Arfa was signed for £5m despite having a broken leg (after playing 2 games) and without the club having any reasonable idea of what he'll be like when he returns. Could say the same about Gosling, who no doubt would have been given a decent signing-on fee as a Bosman. So Ireland being signed irrespective of fitness is not all that unlikely tbf.

Gosling was a free. HBA was already here and was going to overcome his broken leg. We are talking about signing a bloke who has shown nothing either in fitness or form over a long period and has suffered niggling injuries in the whole time he has been on loan here. Its a different thing alltogether tbh

I think Ben Arfa is likely to be an exception. The chance to sign a player of his ability for that money is too good to turn down, especially since his leg break seems to have been pretty clean.

But you could say the same about Ireland to an extent. When fit and on form and starring for a City side with a decent number of £20m+ players, he was undoubtedly a good player. And his injury (in theory) isn't a serious one that'll damage him physically.

Not saying I believe this is the case, but I don't think it's too stretched to imagine Ashley looking at Ireland as a worthy gamble. Good age, of good calibre/talent, was performing well a few years ago, but is cheap now due to a drop in form in recent seasons (bit like Nolan when we signed him). If he turns things around then we get a valuable player who normally wouldn't be an option for us in for a low price.