Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We could easily accommodate Ben Arfa, Barton and Ireland in the same team IMO.

How?

A five-man midfield with Barton on the right and Ireland in advanced CM. With HBA off the striker.

Anyway, as we've proved in the last few weeks we definitely need more depth in the squad!

How?

A five-man midfield with Barton on the right and Ireland in advanced CM. With HBA off the striker.

Anyway, as we've proved in the last few weeks we definitely need more depth in the squad!

A five man midfield with two strikers? And three at the back? Hell's bells.

How?

With Ben Arfa as a CAM it would not be 'easy'. Probably not possible, tbh.

agreed. Ireland would have to play in that position and Ben Arfa on the left or right.

Ireland doesn't really play out wide, and he looks like a deer in headlights playing any deeper than attacking midfielder.

We have Nolan, Tiote and Guthrie for the deeper midfield positions, so i think we need one more midfielder who can fill in, but i really don't think Ireland fits the bill. ask brummie how well he performs when having to sit deep and contribute to the defence.

So we'd basically be signing him as a Ben Arfa backup, but i think we'd do better to get a promising youngster who is prepared to spend a couple of seasons challenging for a starting role.

Ireland seems to be someone who only plays well when given a regular run in the side, rather than someone who can come in for a game or two. with his injury problems, mental instability, low confidence and high wages i basically think we should stay the fuck away. even if he performs well in the remaining games (and playing for a contract with us he should) i wouldn't be convinced.

Nah, I meant basically 4-5-1 but with HBA as a "second striker" and Ireland as an attacking CM. It would mean leaving out Nolan or Ireland, whoever wasn't performing or available.

That basically puts Ireland in the centre of a 4 man midfield which would be suicide. Alan Smith looked like Vieira against him earlier in the season, it was embarrassing.

Personally I wouldn't touch him with a shitty stick.

A scenario to cover for every midfield injury (1 at a time like). No-matter which way you look at it it's better than Danny Guthrie slotting in.

------------------------------

Ireland

Arfa Nolan Tiote Barton

Ireland

Jonas Nolan Tiote Arfa

Arfa

Jonas Nolan Tiote Barton

Arfa

Jonas Ireland Tiote Barton

Jonas                       Arfa

Ireland Nolan Barton

Theoretically he could be backup to both Nolan in CM and Ben Arfa in the free role, so I could see the sense in signing him if we think he could get his head straight.

Obviously the fact that he's a complete tosser who hasn't had a good game in a couple of years is a bit of a negative, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Nah, I meant basically 4-5-1 but with HBA as a "second striker" and Ireland as an attacking CM. It would mean leaving out Nolan or Ireland, whoever wasn't performing or available.

That basically puts Ireland in the centre of a 4 man midfield which would be suicide. Alan Smith looked like Vieira against him earlier in the season, it was embarrassing.

Personally I wouldn't touch him with a shitty stick.

I agree, I've already said that if he doesn't contribute for the next six games I wouldn't buy him. For the sake of argument I was assuming that if we sign him he will have shown some of his form from earlier seasons.

(Although FWIW if Nolan can cope in a 4-man midfield any mammal with lungs should be able to have a decent go!)

These two (Ian W and Jonny Hall) literally have a response to everything, no matter how illogical it may appear.

I was taking the p*ss man :facepalm: :lol:

What I said still stands.

Good for you.

It was only a year back that Wullie rated Guthrie more than Barton.

Because only a year back Barton was a complete waste of space and Guthrie was a good midfielder for the side.

We're not doing the whole hindsight s*** again are we? "HAHA You thought Barton was s*** and look at him now!!!!1"

Sorry that we don't all have a crystal ball like you.

lets just see how he does last 6 games, there is a very good player buried beneath the bullshit surrounding him he just needs an arm around his shoulder from coaching staff and manager and to feel wanted which he hadn't at villa or with mancini at city

Besides it is sort of obvious the squad attacking wise is this so why not sign someone who could add to the depth of that

Guthrie is probably the most basic footballer i've ever seen, it's all good trying to maintain possession and playing the simple ball, but he takes it to an extreme level.

Even if we don't get Ireland, we still need more boddies in midfield, I realy don;t want to go another season with Danny Gootrie and Ryan Taylor as our first choice back-up.

lets just see how he does last 6 games, there is a very good player buried beneath the bullshit surrounding him he just needs an arm around his shoulder from coaching staff and manager and to feel wanted which he hadn't at villa or with mancini at city

Besides it is sort of obvious the squad attacking wise is this so why not sign someone who could add to the depth of that

i agree he can be a good player but for him to get into top form everything has to be right for him. By that i mean he needs to be in peak fitness (he's usually not), with a guaranteed first XI role in his preferred position (which he wouldn't get if we signed him) and to be settled mentally (unlikely). take any of those things away or present him with an obstacle and he crumbles. it's ok for players to lapse out of form now and again but ireland's dry run has lasted two years at two different clubs. with so much stacked against him i think we'd be better off letting him be Aston Villa's problem and looking elsewhere. not like we don't have the money and scouting team for to do just that.