Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bramble was nowhere near as bad as a lot on here are claiming, he made plenty of mistakes leading to goals but he didn't do it every week, he wouldn't have played over 100 Premier League games here if was making mistakes as often as lot of you are suggesting. :lol:

On his day he's a very good central defender.

Bramble was nowhere near as bad as a lot on here are claiming, he made plenty of mistakes leading to goals but he didn't do it every week, he wouldn't have played over 100 Premier League games here if was making mistakes as often as lot of you are suggesting. :lol:

On his day he's a very good central defender.

Bramble had everything to become a great defender, everything except a brain.  Towards the end of his time the errors he made were a lot more regular than before and he was a liability.  I backed him for most of his time here but couldn't in the end because the cock up's were far too regular.

Ireland though, he's been a massive mistake since he arrived.  I hope that we don't compound that mistake by signing him beyond the end of this season on any terms.

Shola's saving grace has been the amount of managers we've had since Sir Bobby. He should have been shipped out long ago. Sadly, no club was stupid enough to pay money for him.

Would you still have Bramble here?

I wouldn't have him back now, because he'd never be accepted by the c***s that boo off even our best players.

I wouldn't have let him leave in 07, though. It was stupid of Allardyce, who spend money on far inferior defenders.

I wouldn't have him back now, because he'd never be accepted by the c***s that boo off even our best players.

I wouldn't have let him leave in 07, though. It was stupid of Allardyce, who spend money on far inferior defenders.

Bramble going was right, he was finished here, mainly because of people getting on his back but his mistakes were far too regular and costly in the end and I think he couldn't handle the pressure brought on by his mistakes.  It wasn't just Allardyce who let him go, Roeder didn't offer him a new contract either.

OK... so putting it down just on player for player terms and ignoring fans' opinions do you think Bramble would improve our defence on the basis that he'd be in the starting line-up?

If yes, then who would he replace?

Bramble going was right, he was finished here, mainly because of people getting on his back but his mistakes were far too regular and costly in the end and I think he couldn't handle the pressure brought on by his mistakes.  It wasn't just Allardyce who let him go, Roeder didn't offer him a new contract either.

by the end of his time here he was a wreck. when the crowd turn on you it can do that and it's often best to get away.

by the end of his time here he was a wreck. when the crowd turn on you it can do that and it's often best to get away.

Agreed but the crowd getting on his back was self inflicted, people lost patience with him as his mistakes were usually absolute howlers.

Agreed but the crowd getting on his back was self inflicted, people lost patience with him as his mistakes were usually absolute howlers.

no denying it, even with the howlers he was better than andy o'brien. bramble would make an obvious mistake that cost a goal, o'briens were more often but less obvious basic bad defending instead of a swipe and miss that any numpty could spot.

He also scored two goals that got us into Europe. And the absuse didn't stop.