MLS

Kaizero

They have a lot of stuff in place and the backing of the Mayor. 

The city has already bought about five city blocks downtown for the stadium and have had the blueprints commissioned, there was an article about it today actually: http://www.scoringthird.com/2013/02/inside-orlando-city-stadium.html

I think something really big will have to happen for us not to get the next franchise, we've met all of the requirements that MLS has put in front of us and already have the support in place.

On a side note, I think 18,000 is a lot of seats, but it's what MLS requires now so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MLS teams choking in the Concacaf Champions League again, can't really be taken seriously as league until they start beating teams outside of it.

Fucking pathetic.

Watching the last ten minutes of that LA game, I thought I was watching a Newcastle game the way they were giving possession away for free.

Just got back from Fire/NYRB. Was decent enough in terms of quality, but I cannot imagine pinning my happiness on some of their attacking ineptitude. Henry came on for half an hour and threw his arms up every time he made a run and didn't get the ball, was pretty hilarious, but he had a nice hit against the post. Also $9 for a tallboy :anguish:

Anyone think that in the next few years the MLS will consist of 4 regional division with say 18-20 teams in each. They play each other in their own league home and away and the top few teams go into the play offs?

I just think that the way the MLS are now handing franchises out willy nilly it will come to that, especially if they are given the likes of New York 2-3 teams.

Anyone think that in the next few years the MLS will consist of 4 regional division with say 18-20 teams in each. They play each other in their own league home and away and the top few teams go into the play offs?

I just think that the way the MLS are now handing franchises out willy nilly it will come to that, especially if they are given the likes of New York 2-3 teams.

So...80 teams? I'm skeptical. Support's just not there yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an MLB/NFL-size MLS though (30 teams or so) within the next decade.

So...80 teams? I'm skeptical. Support's just not there yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an MLB/NFL-size MLS though (30 teams or so) within the next decade.

I guess it depends on how far they want to go, every major city to have at least one team?

80 teams seems high, but say the league consisted of four 15 team leagues, thats 60. Team will only be guaranteed 28 games a season, plus any play offs that occur. Add on cup games, and any potential mid season friendlies and it's a few teams.

Just don't think there's enough interest for that many top-tier teams. Nor infrastructure to support it. We'd have a hard time fielding just 5 more NFL teams, and that's far and away the most lucrative sport in the U.S.

Granted, NFL franchises are significantly larger than MLS franchises and require a lot more capital.