MLS

Kaizero

Guest Phil K

If he's so obsessed with everything being "spanish speaking" then he should upsticks and take the club into Mexico, surely ?

This is like that certain Russian at Chelsea insisting everyone on the playing staff speak Russian or else.

If he's so obsessed with everything being "spanish speaking" then he should upsticks and take the club into Mexico, surely ?

This is like that certain Russian at Chelsea insisting everyone on the playing staff speak Russian or else.

You'd think having ownership of C.D. Guadalajara would be enough. They already employ a strict Mexican-only policy. Rare that something like that actually works...imagine a PL club hiring only English players. :lol:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-orlando-soccer-stadium-funding-changes-20130530,0,349565.story

But in what appears to be a change of heart, Jacobs wrote to Orlando City Soccer Club President Phil Rawlins on Thursday to say she is "fast-tracking" the project.

Hmm...I know many people at Visit Orlando including a few on the board. I might need to reach out and see what help I can be on this analysis.

You'd think having ownership of C.D. Guadalajara would be enough. They already employ a strict Mexican-only policy. Rare that something like that actually works...imagine a PL club hiring only English players. :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVsl4loYR67EmtExI5JDYVwWF7NpPn5WQ70qMD03xcMnXwJM91vA

They would be in the same place as Valencia/Atlético if they didn't limit themselves though.

Any more news on the New York City frankenstein? When it's supposed to join the league? At least I'll finally have a team I care about in the MLS, even if it's just to despise it.

Marcos Senna signing for the Cosmos. Perhaps the stupidest move they could have made.

Only 36! That's 18 in MLS years.

37 next month actually :lol:

He didn't even cut it in Liga Adelante anymore, bar the occasional FK. His legs fell to pieces years ago.

Guest Nixon

We've seen a lot of older players (Juninho being the latest) struggle in MLS because of its physicality. Having worked in NASL and watched it extensively, it's even tougher than MLS. It lacks the technical aspects, but players are rougher and the play is very quick in terms of front to back.

I would also add that at least Juninho is surrounded by talent. Thierry Henry, Fabian Espindola and even Dax McCarty make his life a little easier (the latter because he protects him a lot). Senna has none of that, with a lot of the Cosmos roster comprising of ex-MLS guys they've picked up on frees.

Even from a marketing perspective it doesn't make sense. He only appeals to the kind of people who are already coming through the door. Very weird. 

That's an odd one. The MLS has been getting better about signing old, washed up, european players. I guess the league is progressing a little bit. Just looking at the current Designated Players, the average age is a lot younger than when that rule first came about.

Marcos Senna signing for the Cosmos. Perhaps the stupidest move they could have made.

Only 36! That's 18 in MLS years.

37 next month actually :lol:

He didn't even cut it in Liga Adelante anymore, bar the occasional FK. His legs fell to pieces years ago.

My main memory of Marcos Senna is always going to be him playing with his shorts completely drenched in blood, during Villareal's run to the CL semifinals. I was stunned they even let him continue.

He was a fantastic player in his day, I'd assume he's on the verge of falling apart now, as I assumed he had retired. It always irked me that he played for Spain even though he had absolutely no connection to the country whatsoever.

Ex-Hartlepool United striker David Foley (who scored 0 goals in 98 league appearances in League One and League Two) is a handy player in the NASL. I'm sure Marcos Senna will cope.

Rafa Marquez came to MLS at 31 and was utter dogshit, while Marco Di Vaio has been excellent at 36. It's really hit or miss with aging European players.

It'll be interesting to see if Senna has anything left. He's definitely not the kind of player to draw ooh's and aah's from American fans, if that's what Cosmos are going for.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVsl4loYR67EmtExI5JDYVwWF7NpPn5WQ70qMD03xcMnXwJM91vA

They would be in the same place as Valencia/Atlético if they didn't limit themselves though.

Any more news on the New York City frankenstein? When it's supposed to join the league? At least I'll finally have a team I care about in the MLS, even if it's just to despise it.

:thup: Good shout for Bilbao. Mighty impressive that they're able to compete with mostly Basque players. Just goes to show the incredible depth in Spain. Imagine NUFC trying to field a team of all Geordies. :lol:

New York City FC is due to start play in 2014, I believe.

Cuba, Flip:

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/06/19/rumor-central-if-orlando-city-sc-join-mls-2015-head-coach-adrian-heath-says-?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Owner said if we become an MLS team, Kaka will join.

I still thought he would move here and join...didn't think here meant Orlando if it happens.

Makes sense given the massive Brazilian tourism market here in Orlando and Florida. Flip's got another Orlando team.

He's really good friends with our owner.  I had this thought the other day when I heard he trained with the team but I didn't dare voice any ideas out loud, it would seem preposterous that Kaka would play in Orlando.  This says otherwise though.  A great coup by the owner and hopefully a mouthwatering morsel for Don Garber to chew on.