MLS

Kaizero

The Miami team is a great example of what I hate about American culture:

The team doesn't exist yet and there's a "rivalry"and "fans."

It's manufactured and phony. You can't be a passionate fan or passionate hater because there's nothing to be passionate about. There's no history. No authenticity.

Doesn't stop anyone having an opinion about it.

I'm not a Florida expert, but if there's a bonafide regional rivarly between both cities, then it wouldn't be manufactured. A lot of football rivalries are an extension of that - weren't Sunderland and Newcastle rival cities before they had football teams?

Yes, MLS rushes too much in order to fabricate football culture, instead of letting it develop naturally (all those rivalry cups between cities hundreds of miles apart...). But there's a lot coming from the Orlando camp that sounds fresh. Heck, even how both franchises are coming to be already gives some ammo for banter.

I'm not a Florida expert, but if there's a bonafide regional rivarly between both cities, then it wouldn't be manufactured. A lot of football rivalries are an extension of that - weren't Sunderland and Newcastle rival cities before they had football teams?

Yes, MLS rushes too much in order to fabricate football culture, instead of letting it develop naturally (all those rivalry cups between cities hundreds of miles apart...). But there's a lot coming from the Orlando camp that sounds fresh. Heck, even how both franchises are coming to be already gives some ammo for banter.

:thup: Spot on.

Nobody having a laugh at the proposed "Miami Vice" name though? That's like renaming West Ham "Eastenders".

It's horrible. In a perfect world, the name is "Miami Soccer Club" or something.

In a perfect world they don't have a team. Ungrateful sports city If I've ever seen one.

Nobody having a laugh at the proposed "Miami Vice" name though? That's like renaming West Ham "Eastenders".

It's horrible. In a perfect world, the name is "Miami Soccer Club" or something.

In a perfect world they don't have a team. Ungrateful sports city If I've ever seen one.

:lol: fair point.

You won't see the Premier League, Football League, FA do that when a team gets into trouble.

Nope. Because they they're not worried about Vincent Tans making the league look bad. People will still watch.

MLS can't afford to have shitty owners. Good move on their part.

Chivas is always a confusing one for me. You see a kind of potential there, given the demographics in LA and the potential to exploit the link with Chivas de Guadalajara, but all too often it felt like a half baked concept that was an attempt to extend the status of the Mexican mothership.

I will forever snort at the fact Chivas USA turned down Javier Hernandez though. There's a microcosm for what is wrong with player scouting in MLS right now.

I think moving forward, if they can get a stable franchise in there, they could bread a good LA rivalry. It's just important the next step is made with patience and having ostracised the link to Chivas of Mexico.