MLS

Kaizero

This game has been a better watch than most Championship games.

It really was. It helps that the crowd in Seattle is always good value, but there were some proper players on the pitch and that made a difference too.

Despite the poor start the Timbers will win this year. My team the horrible galaxy (I feel shame even acknowledging I go to the Home Depot Stadium) will be a distant 3rd or 4th in the conference before playoffs begin.

The Timbers had a good shout last year. Easily one of the best teams. I thought they'd destroy RSL and go into the MLS Cup final. I'm not sure how their trades went in the off-season/if they retained the core of the team but I think Zakuani is a massive waste of money. I hope they don't end up relying on him.

Guest Nixon

Not sold myself.

I think Caleb Porter is a good young coach, but for me he hit the peak of Portland's powers last season. I don't think you'll get the same return on guys like Will Johnson this time around. Gaston Fernandez is a good pick up and gives them a real talented striker, but it won't be enough.

I actually think Chivas USA could be a surprise package. They need to play a game away from home before I'll be genuinely convinced, but I like what I've seen. I also think Mauro Rosales will get better numbers than Marco Pappa this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2014/03/nycfcbadge.jpg

New York City FC have their new look.

After a fan vote lasting three-and-a-half days that saw more than 100,000 NYCFC fans make their voices heard, the MLS expansion club on Thursday announced it has adopted the subway token-inspired logo designed by New York-based artist Rafael Esquer, who created the other final entry.

“Today marks another important milestone in the ongoing development of the New York City FC, and we’re excited to unveil the crest that will represent our club, our city and our fans,” NYCFC chief business officer Tim Pernetti said in a statement. “We thank all those fans who cast more than 100,000 votes and helped play their part in making New York City FC history.”

Pernetti, sporting director Claudio Reyna and head coach Jason Kreis unveiled the winning design in front of New York City FC supporters, partners, leadership and members of the media at the adidas Store in New York City on Thursday evening.

Per to the club's release, the winning badge is inspired by the old New York City Subway token, created by the Transit Authority in 1953 and used for 50 years as the standard fare for a ride. The last version of the token had a cut out pentagon in the center representing the five boroughs. A similar such pentagon appears on either side of the monogram so as to reinforce the club’s connection to the entire city. The circle is also a symbol of unity, wholeness and infinity.

The badge features the typeface Gotham, a wholly American font inspired by the city’s signage. Born out of an in-depth study of building lettering in New York City, the monogram reflects the rich graphic language that is so much a signature of the five boroughs. The colors navy blue, white and orange are drawn from the New York City flag.

“Given the significance of a club’s badge and what it means for a team’s identity," Reyna said in a statement, "it was important for us to have our fans included from the beginning – a commitment that we’ve made from the start. Thanks to the voice of our fans, we feel that we have a design that truly represents our club and our city.”

New York City FC will kick off MLS play in the 2015 season, when it officially joins the league alongside Orlando City SC.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/20/new-york-city-fc-reveal-subway-token-inspired-logo-heavy-nyc-influence

Not sold myself.

I think Caleb Porter is a good young coach, but for me he hit the peak of Portland's powers last season. I don't think you'll get the same return on guys like Will Johnson this time around. Gaston Fernandez is a good pick up and gives them a real talented striker, but it won't be enough.

I actually think Chivas USA could be a surprise package. They need to play a game away from home before I'll be genuinely convinced, but I like what I've seen. I also think Mauro Rosales will get better numbers than Marco Pappa this year.

Porter is a good coach, with a good track record, and gets his teams playing attacking football. Even as a Sounder it's hard not like the Timbers. Still hoping they crash and burn.

Porter is not merely a good coach ... He is a great one. What he did with Akron is near miraculous. The timbers are individually not a great team. Both the Sounders and the Galaxy are much better on paper. This is solely down to Porter. I would take him at NUFC and he is the only manager associated with the MLS that I would say that about.