MLS

Kaizero

To be fair isn't the play in a cup final always poor though? With a lower standard of players it just shows through even more.

It was more the fact that the players appeared not to have even slight ability. Ishizaki trying to kick forward and instead kicking it with his standing foot sideways, the set piece-takers drifting the ball out every single time (even one of the goals was from a free kick hitting the one-man wall), Zardes inexplicably launching the ball 10 feet in the air with every touch, crosses hitting the crossbar, foul throws etc etc. Also, Chris Tierney watching an offside trap happen 5 yards on front of him and keeping Keane onside then being described as one of their best players and that it's "hard to watch the ball over the top and watch the diagonal runner" ??? he's looking right along the line!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S7K8UPCxNDI/VITih_ac8bI/AAAAAAAABm0/z-cji1UH2-U/s1600/tierney-caught.gif

The baffling thing is the reaction to it on the internet (not here, of course). Jermaine Jones was apparently "phenomenal in the second half" and a "gladiator" despite putting in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a player. Been trying to find detailed stats but I'd be surprised if his pass completion in the final third was above 20%. Also made a horrific lunge on Donovan and was fouling all over the shop. Also seen MOTM nominations for Ishizaki, Farrell and others who were also turgid gash. That Kobayashi who came on must have gave the ball away every time he got it. I've seen good matches in MLS but this was a bad advert for the product.

Yup, all fair points. Jones had some terrible passing and the American commentators were afraid to call him out on it. Thought Keane was terrible (ignoring the fact he got the game winner) and Donovan hardly did a thing despite all the talk about him.  Nguyen didn't get enough touches and once he went off the attack was hopeless. The shame of it is that the Revolution had been entertaining the entire run up until that point.

Yeah, there seems to be an effort to not talk down about any players/teams in the US which is somewhat fair enough as it's a fairly new sport and they are trying to get it off the ground. But when big names like Jones, Keane, Donovan etc put in performances like that they should definitely be pulled up on it.

Nguyen looks like he's good but unfortunately wasn't (if that makes sense). 18 goals is a terrific return for a midfielder though over the season.

It was weird, both teams played the game at a very slow pace as if it was a friendly... then the final whistle blew and everything burst into life :lol:

Nonetheless, I look forward to the new MLS season as the enthusiasm you get from the fans, commentators, media etc is pretty infectious :lol: looks like a proper fun day out.

Yeah, there seems to be an effort to not talk down about any players/teams in the US which is somewhat fair enough as it's a fairly new sport and they are trying to get it off the ground. But when big names like Jones, Keane, Donovan etc put in performances like that they should definitely be pulled up on it.

Nguyen looks like he's good but unfortunately wasn't (if that makes sense). 18 goals is a terrific return for a midfielder though over the season.

It was weird, both teams played the game at a very slow pace as if it was a friendly... then the final whistle blew and everything burst into life :lol:

Nonetheless, I look forward to the new MLS season as the enthusiasm you get from the fans, commentators, media etc is pretty infectious :lol: looks like a proper fun day out.

The addition of NYCFC and Orlando City will help as well. :thup:

Orlando traded for Aurelien Collin too, building a good team there.

Yep, good move. I like the additions so far.

Will/Do Man City New York have any fans?

I know a kid from high school who lives in Brooklyn right now and has completely committed to the hype. I suspect they'll get a lot of people living in NYC who aren't willing to travel to New Jersey for the Red Bulls.

Not sure if the faux Man City kit was a masterstroke or a fuck up.

Masterstroke: Every so-called Man City fan who previously never cared about the MLS will profess to love NYCFC.

Fuck up: Every NYC-based Premier League fan who has been supporting a team other than Man City is never going to support that team / buy that kit.

From my perspective, it just makes them dislikable. They could've been the team with soul in NY. Instead they're the Man City reserve team.

Masterstroke: Every so-called Man City fan who previously never cared about the MLS will profess to love NYCFC.

Fuck up: Every NYC-based Premier League fan who has been supporting a team other than Man City is never going to support that team / buy that kit.

From my perspective, it just makes them dislikable. They could've been the team with soul in NY. Instead they're the Man City reserve team.

:slowclap:

Won't that be Cosmos regardless of what happened though?

Won't that be Cosmos regardless of what happened though?

Not from my perspective. Cosmos spent most of their recent "existence" without an actual team. They existed for years purely to sell merchandise with their logo on. (Remembering to play the odd exhibition game with a made-up side to ensure the public don't forget they can still buy a replica jersey for the low low price of $85).