Ex-players you think we messed up on

James

What players have we had on our books in the past that we sold/moved on without ever seeing them doing the real business, then a couple years later said player is at another club and doing really well?

For me, the worst one in recent times was Guiseppe Rossi, many people were against him from day one because they thought we were just there to improve him for Manyoo. I seem to remember after one game, think it was against Chelsea, people were branding him as useless, but he was stuck out of position on the left and showed good composure on the ball, just preferring to be inside rather than get on the flank. He did actually get some goals in the few chances he got.

However, Roeder was under pressure to get results and as Rossi wasn't an out and out goalscore, he got overlooked.

Naturally Fergie brought him back and sent him to Italy and since then he hasn't looked back. He could have done well for us, he has become a much better player than Martins and Shola.

Guest Heneage

Financially it was in our best interest to play Rossi if he didn't play a certain number of games the loan fee went up. As for signing him permanently we stood no chance, he saw us as nothing more than a temporary stop.

We could have played Milner central and possibly sold him for more (ie Villa to City), he also would have helped the team out a lot more there.

He wanted to go so we didn't have much choice but Abdolaye Faye would have been worth keeping.

Bellamy obviously.

I think Ambrose was worth more to use than the £1m we got for him.

Should have signed Distin too, we also apparently had Upson training with us before he moved to Birmingham for a pittance (£1-2m?).

Financially it was in our best interest to play Rossi if he didn't play a certain number of games the loan fee went up. As for signing him permanently we stood no chance, he saw us as nothing more than a temporary stop.

How do you know that? He was about 19 years old and if we'd given him a go, he might have wanted to stay a couple of years.

I think Saha more than Rossi since Rossi always had eyes on bigger than us whereas Saha would have joined and we'd have had the best of him.

Are Parma and Villareal really bigger than us? What did Enrique choose when given the choice?

I think Saha more than Rossi since Rossi always had eyes on bigger than us whereas Saha would have joined and we'd have had the best of him.

Are Parma and Villareal really bigger than us? What did Enrique choose when given the choice?

Rossi thought he'd make it at Manu at some point.

He left the summer after he was on loan at here and Parma though. So if we had used him more in those 4 months, chances are that we'd have had him for the whole season, so once he decided Manyoo wasn't an option, we would have been a very enticing option.

Guest Heneage

How do you know that? He was about 19 years old and if we'd given him a go, he might have wanted to stay a couple of years.

Nah, he's always had quite a high opinion of himself especially at that point he was very much the hottest prospect United had at that point, if he was to leave it would have been to either Serie A or La Liga, he was never going to move within England imo.

I'm sure there's an interview where he said as much. Could be wrong.

Should have signed Distin too,

I have always thought this. IIRC we tried to sign him but he refused to stay as we were going to keep playing him left back. He's always been a class apart IMO.

It's also a shame we lost Hamann, but again it wasn't really our choice.

The obvious answers are Beardsley, Shearer and Carrick in their youth days.

Guest firetotheworks

Not being able to get Freidel because of work permit problems. He would have been better than both Pav and Shaka.

Not playing Milner in the middle,

Trying to have Parker do absolutely everything in midfield in his second season for us.

Playing Shola Ameobi,

Playing Luque on the left wing,

Tomasson obviously,

Not signing Saha,

Selling Ambrose and keeping Milner still puzzles me a bit, at the time I thought Ambrose showed so much more potential.

Not giving players like Huckerby and Elliott to show what they could really do by scrapping the reserves.

He left the summer after he was on loan at here and Parma though. So if we had used him more in those 4 months, chances are that we'd have had him for the whole season, so once he decided Manyoo wasn't an option, we would have been a very enticing option.

Even if you are correct Saha would have joined permanently and we'd have had years of a top striker before the injuries kicked and by then we'd have sold him to someone else making massive profits.

Rossi was never going to join and in the games he played was playing for himself.

What players have we had on our books in the past that we sold/moved on without ever seeing them doing the real business, then a couple years later said player is at another club and doing really well?

For me, the worst one in recent times was Guiseppe Rossi, many people were against him from day one because they thought we were just there to improve him for Manyoo. I seem to remember after one game, think it was against Chelsea, people were branding him as useless, but he was stuck out of position on the left and showed good composure on the ball, just preferring to be inside rather than get on the flank. He did actually get some goals in the few chances he got.

However, Roeder was under pressure to get results and as Rossi wasn't an out and out goalscore, he got overlooked.

Naturally Fergie brought him back and sent him to Italy and since then he hasn't looked back. He could have done well for us, he has become a much better player than Martins and Shola.

I think many thought Rossi could go on to big things, but didn't want us being seen as farming manu's young stars.

Pretty sure Distin supposedly ditched us for more money at ManCity. Think everyone wanted him here.

Hamann was awesome that season. He was great for Liverpool but I always thought they wasted him playing him so deep. He was excellent going forward for us, and that ball for Saha at Ewood is the second best pass I've seen from a Newcastle player after footage of Hibbert to Mcdonald in the FA Cup Semi.

Rossi was blocked from playing in the UEFA Cup. At that stage of the season that was half of the games we were playing more or less. It made no sense to keep changing the team and Rossi lost out. If he had been free to play, he would have started more games.