SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

Guest icemanblue

He had a load of big talk which was like "aye, alright Charlie"... but he's one of the few i didn't begrudge for f***ing off when he did. It was beyond a joke the way he was managed after that blistering 05/06 campaign.

I think the whole idea that "we mismanaged him by signing Duff" doesn't hold any water at all. We needed competition in that place and we weren't going to have him be the only left winger in the squad. Duff for 5m seemed like a a good deal at the time.

Instead of relishing the challenge he decided to pout and let himself go just because he didn't get to be a guaranteed starter at age 20.

This is a big ol' pile of bollocks, like. The signing of Duff, and consequent reluctance to drop him no matter what kind of 'form' he was in, stunted his development. It was also detrimental to the team as a whole.

He's so good that when he was finally picked for the full French squad for a friendly, that they played him for a half, saw how technically useless he is and have never picked him again.

The two best wingers i've ever seen at Newcastle were completely ignored by their country during their stint here. Both were French, btw. :thup:

You've just been owned. And you deserve it, coming out with such nonsense.

Completely ignored?

He's been playing on the right or as a forward for Wigan for the last two years. Very rarely has he played at left wing in that time, and only once at left back - they lost 4-0 to Portsmouth that day.

I don't think he'd be replacing Jonas.

He had a load of big talk which was like "aye, alright Charlie"... but he's one of the few i didn't begrudge for f***ing off when he did. It was beyond a joke the way he was managed after that blistering 05/06 campaign.

I think the whole idea that "we mismanaged him by signing Duff" doesn't hold any water at all. We needed competition in that place and we weren't going to have him be the only left winger in the squad. Duff for 5m seemed like a a good deal at the time.

Instead of relishing the challenge he decided to pout and let himself go just because he didn't get to be a guaranteed starter at age 20.

Duff left Chelsea because he wanted first team football. He wasn't coming here to compete with N'Zogbia, he was coming here to replace him.

Considering that N'Zogbia was the very last person we should have been looking to replace after that season (where he got 5 goals and 7 assists as a teenager playing in a rubbish team), it was a truly stupid signing when so many areas of the team needed upgrading before we could afford to go spending money on "competition" for the left wing spot.

No doubt N'Zogbia had a poor attitude about the whole thing, but it doesn't make the decision any better from our end.

This is a big ol' pile of bollocks, like. The signing of Duff, and consequent reluctance to drop him no matter what kind of 'form' he was in, stunted his development. It was also detrimental to the team as a whole.

I don't get it, so was the only way to properly "develop" him to not sign any other left wingers and give him a guaranteed first-team place?

He's a professional and it was his responsibility to rise to the challenge of competition for his place. For f***'s sake playing well enough to be chosen over Damien Duff shouldn't be hard :lol:

Instead he chose to sulk, and his development suffered as a result. He got plenty of minutes under Roeder (Duff was made out of paper and often had to play on the right because everybody else in the squad was too) but he was never as impressive as he was in his breakout season.

Of course, this only relates to the signing of Duff. The subsequent decision of several managers to play him at left back was of course unabated idiocy. Kinnear's handling of him was also sort of embarrassing but what about that man wasn't.

Not sure what role Roeder had to play in signing Duff. By all accounts that was a Shepherd signing.

Ironically, (aside from the man who signed him of course) Glen Roeder was probably the only one of our managers who actually rated the Zog and tried to nurture and develop him.

Anyone else remember the "velvet glove" interview? :lol:

Shepherd didn't start him every week like.

Anyhow, as for saying he isn't one of the best wingers in the league... playing in a piece of shit side that are 19th in the league, there's only a couple wingers in the division who've scored more.

Would be such a good signing. Just what we need imo.

Not sure what role Roeder had to play in signing Duff. By all accounts that was a Shepherd signing.

Ironically, (aside from the man who signed him of course) Glen Roeder was probably the only one of our managers who actually rated the Zog and tried to nurture and develop him.

Anyone else remember the "velvet glove" interview? :lol:

I'm surprised Roeder could dress himself on a morning tbh. The guy didn't have a fucking clue. I remember him saying, re Zog, that he didn't want him to 'burn out'. So as a result, played the slower and largely past-it Duff in his place every week for a full season. The signs that we'd been mugged on Duff were clear as early as the games vs Ventspils. Zog should've been back in the side by September.

He's an utter, utter prick but people will forget about that if he puts in a couple of good performances.

He became one of my least favourite players when he went "on strike". It was also rather insulting that he wanted to leave to go to a better club and then went to Wigan.

However, I heard the mackems cheered him off the pitch recently assuming he'd sign for them in the summer so it wouldn't be all bad...

There was logic in the thinking tbf. We were in the hope that once Duff got fully fit again he'd return to his glory days and our two other wingers at the time were kids (N'Zogbia and Milner). They'd both just played 30 odd games each with us and Villa respectively. You can understand why we'd be worried about burn out.

Guest icemanblue

I don't get it, so was the only way to properly "develop" him to not sign any other left wingers and give him a guaranteed first-team place?

He's a professional and it was his responsibility to rise to the challenge of competition for his place. For f***'s sake playing well enough to be chosen over Damien Duff shouldn't be hard :lol: see above

Instead he chose to sulk, and his development suffered as a result. He got plenty of minutes under Roeder (Duff was made out of paper and often had to play on the right because everybody else in the squad was too) but he was never as impressive as he was in his breakout season.

Of course, this only relates to the signing of Duff. The subsequent decision of several managers to play him at left back was of course unabated idiocy. Kinnear's handling of him was also sort of embarrassing but what about that man wasn't.

He's a professional and it was his responsibility to rise to the challenge of competition for his place. For f***'s sake playing well enough to be chosen over Damien Duff shouldn't be hard :lol: see above

Duff made 33 appearances that season.

N'zogbia made 35.

Where has this rumour come from anyway?

from what i understand this deal is very close to being completed, haven't been told about the fee, Triple S Sports and Entertainment Group are his agents

I don't know.

I do remember seeing him a lot that season though, don't think it can be said that he was never given a chance.

Neither him nor duff were at all effective that year.

Now that Ive finally calmed down about his huffy little kid style antics to force his move in 09, I would love to see him back here. He has bundles of talent and finally seems to be producing the goods. Plus he hates Carroll, so that alone will do.

Would mean Barton or Gutierrez being shown the door?

Or just that we get some more depth in the squad.

Can't see either of them settling for a place on the bench. Unless Pards is planning to bring Barton inside.

He's a quality player, typical huffy Frenchman though.. the huffs I can cope with what will piss me off greatly is if we pay £12m for him.

Also no point signing him and then selling Jonas, the idea is to strengthen the squad not to just replace players. I just cannot see MA paying what Wigan will want for him, not when we are desperate for a top striker, I'd rather we blew £15m on a striker than a fortune on Zoggy.