Connor wickham

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

If you watch his highlights reel the lad has huge potential. I think this deserves it's own thread as I firmly believe he can replace Carroll.

Will there be interest from the big boys? Yes! But, having seen Carroll develop and get a big move on the back of it we are quite a good place for him to be as he would get 1st team action

Fits the Ashley mould perfectly as well

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Totally agree, I think he's a ridiculously good prospect.

I don't think Ipswich would sell for less than £10m which makes him rather high-risk as his impact may not be as immediate as we might need ie we need our new number 9 to hit the ground running next season a la ferdinand

Despite not seeing a great deal of him I really want him as Carroll's replacement :lol:

He is still some way off a goalscorer but he works hard and is massive.

Him and a more experienced goalscorer in the summer would soften the blow and could help us progress.

Yep. There's no way we're going to be spending £10m+ on him. It's just too much of a gamble, and one that we can't afford to take at the moment.

We'll be looking at the 21-23 year old players, the ones that have first-team experience, shown that they've improved over that time and have the potential to do more. I think we'll also be looking at players with contracts that are due to run out soon because it's just cheaper to buy those players. Someone like Gervinho fits the bill for a player that we'd spend close to £10m on.

Guest sicko2ndbest

What that lad is doing now at 17 is quite staggering.

His size is what excites though as he is only going to develop physically over the next few years

Ashley won't see this as too much of a gamble

What that lad is doing now at 17 is quite staggering.

His size is what excites though as he is only going to develop physically over the next few years

Ashley won't see this as too much of a gamble

Two thinsk about this -

1) Ashley loves a gamble anyway.

2) The lad will cost about 28% of the price we got for Carroll, if he steps up as expected and values continue to go as they are it isn't really a gamble. His wages would be pretty low too given his age and where he is coming from.

Been saying this ever since he bulldozed through our defence last home game of the season last year. He is a much much better player with the ball at his feet than Carroll, people need to understand. If we could get him for £8 million i would count it as a bargain.

Graham Carr, if you are reading , ram this lad down the throats of Pardew and Ashley.

No matter how much I'd like us to go in for this guy I can't see it happening.

If Ashley is going to spend money on youth prospects then I think he'll give the go ahead to sign players who are going to cost no more than £5m

About half a year ago I guess Conor Wickham was hyped even more than Carroll! I wouldn't call that 10 million such a huge gamble anyway as I think a club willing to pay this amount is able to get it back even if he does fail to live up to the hype. Just think about that Carroll wasn't good enough for Preston like couple of seasons ago...

About half a year ago I guess Conor Wickham was hyped even more than Carroll! I wouldn't call that 10 million such a huge gamble anyway as I think a club willing to pay this amount is able to get it back even if he does fail to live up to the hype. Just think about that Carroll wasn't good enough for Preston like couple of seasons ago...

Given we have just been given £35m for Carroll I doubt Ashley sees it as much of a gamble, so he spends £10m on the lad and he isn't brilliant, he will probably make half of that back so is still £30m up. It's not hard to be rated at £10m for a forward these days if recent signings are anything to go by (especially when you are young(ish) and English).

Guest pont-toon

Anyone see his goal yesterday? Top class.

Blimey. You're not kidding. Stunning goal. :kasper:

quality

gonna be a top player this kid - sign him up

I think he's worth the gamble as long as £10m is the max price he's sold to us for. I think we can afford £10m if we have £35m to spend.  £25m is still plenty to spend on other areas of the pitch.