The looking-on-the-bright-side thread.

OzzieMandias

I know it's not politically correct on here to credit the club with anything, and many seem to think their manhood might be in question if they don't take as pessimistic a view as possible, but I'm feeling happier about how things are going than I have done for ages.

Pardew obviously isn't Mourinho, but he's looking like an upgrade on Hughton. Tiote was the find of the season and we've still got Hatem Ben Arfa to look forward to.

Four points off the mackems, four points off Arsenal, thrashings of any team in claret and blue, the only four-goal comeback in Premier League history. It's been an up and down but really entertaining season, we've already overtaken the 2008-09 points total with eleven games to go, and we're sitting at a respectable ninth in the table -- a higher position than we've finished at in nine out of the last thirteen seasons.

Yeah, we lost Carroll, but it was always the case that he'd be off to a "bigger" club sooner or later. At least we bagged the seventh biggest transfer fee ever – way over the odds – and for an injured player who it's now clear would have missed at least half of the rest of the season. Meanwhile we've already proven that we don't rely on one talismanic striker, Best is turning out to be a half-decent player, and we have £35 million earmarked for squad improvement in the summer.

Chin up, lads. For all of the negativity around here, our momentum is, in reality, positive.

A good season so far, only the Hughton sacking can be our only real blemish over the season, selling Carroll is probably going to turn out as a good thing as far as the rest of this season is concerned. Only really two really bad defeats but can be marked down as just bad games. We have thrashed 3 teams so far, and been involved in probably the best Premiership game this season. Add this to beating Chelsea away, Arsenal away (our first win at the Emirates), and beating Liverpool as well. So far we our on course for safety, and have a good chance to gain respectable league position. Not our best Premiership season, but it could well be one our best and possibly better than we could have hoped for after just being promoted. 

I know it's not politically correct on here to credit the club with anything, and many seem to think their manhood might be in question if they don't take as pessimistic a view as possible, but I'm feeling happier about how things are going than I have done for ages.

Pardew obviously isn't Mourinho, but he's looking like an upgrade on Hughton. Tiote was the find of the season and we've still got Hatem Ben Arfa to look forward to.

Four points off the mackems, four points off Arsenal, thrashings of any team in claret and blue, the only four-goal comeback in Premier League history. It's been an up and down but really entertaining season, we've already overtaken the 2008-09 points total with eleven games to go, and we're sitting at a respectable ninth in the table -- a higher position than we've finished at in nine out of the last thirteen seasons.

Yeah, we lost Carroll, but it was always the case that he'd be off to a "bigger" club sooner or later. At least we bagged the seventh biggest transfer fee ever – way over the odds – and for an injured player who it's now clear would have missed at least half of the rest of the season. Meanwhile we've already proven that we don't rely on one talismanic striker, Best is turning out to be a half-decent player, and we have £35 million earmarked for squad improvement in the summer.

Chin up, lads. For all of the negativity around here, our momentum is, in reality, positive.

We'll see.

The negativity - understandably IMO - stems from doubt over whether that money will be used to improve the squad, particularly hanging onto our best players and not selling them like we did with Carroll. Before the last day of the transfer window generally things were very positive for most. The sale put down a big marker, whether he's injured or not. What's most annoying about it is that we do have the basis of a pretty good team for the future here and yet we weakened it by selling our best striker. Therefore many now believe we will be open to selling any of our other good players. Tiote is indeed the find of the season, we should be keeping him.

The precedent has been set; we'll find out in the summer if it occurs again.

I am positive, I just hope that we take advantage of what we've got.  Even Carroll going might turn out for the best if we invest that money in the team.  And at least we're starting to play football instead of always trying to hit a target man every time we get the ball.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

All it takes is one big mad moment from you know who to fuck everythin up again i hope this does nt happen.

Must say though lovin the possitivity atm i was nearly gonna leave these forms forever with all the negativity a few weeks back when barbie was sold to scumpool but that negetivity has been turned on it's head incriedibly since god helped us comeback vs arsenal(i praise to lord and thank him for the blessing of tiote given to nufc)

only god and pardew can be given credit for all this nrw found possitivity.

Amen lol

To be honest im not so worried about this season and I'm sure we'll stay up....my concern is if we can keep hold of our best players in the summer or not and if not how we'll do next season.

Would hate to see the likes of Collocini, Enrique, Tiote or for that matter Barton leave.....we'll never get the same quality back in and could be in a world of hurt next season.

I am positive, I just hope that we take advantage of what we've got.  Even Carroll going might turn out for the best if we invest that money in the team.  And at least we're starting to play football instead of always trying to hit a target man every time we get the ball.

:thup:

Still gutted about Carroll because I don't see us bringing in any single player that brings so much to the team. Other than that things are definitely looking up considering our predicament a mere 18 months ago. However, very nervous about possible outgoings in the Summer though and not exactly thoroughly optimistic we'll bring a lot in. :undecided:

i haven't been this optimistic since oohh, the second last day of the transfer window. or right before hughton was sacked.

as things stand, we have the signs of something promising, but the club's track record of incompetence and a distinct lack of ambition means any nufc fan should be looking toward the summer with as much trepidation as anticipation.

The season's been better than expected, I'd have to say.

The Carroll sale has inevitably had a huge impact, and will be in our minds for a fair while yet.

Support is all about hope, really. And somehow you dust yourself off, and come back for more.

Pardew's doing a good job and we seem set fair for a good finish. I think we all recognise it's all about the summer now.

Reckon a cup win is not beyond us in the next season or two. See - that hope again!

would echo most of whats been said so far and i am pleased with this season

i am looking over my shoulder for the next monumental f***-up from the guru's in the boardroom

that is inevitably hurtling towards us

i say inevitable not because i'm pessistic but because of their complete ineptitude.

This season is retribution for the relegation year.  Bad decisions and bad luck then, bad decisions and good luck now.  ;D

It's a testament to the players, really.  Where as they slowly collapsed under the shit storm of 08/09, this year they just work harder and perservere.

Even Ashley has to see that by adding some good pieces the club can be a contender.

i haven't been this optimistic since oohh, the second last day of the transfer window. or right before hughton was sacked.

Think that sums it up nicely. There are a lot of positives, just a shame I expect GPs on Tyneside to be handing out more prescriptions for anxiety medication before long.

The character and spirit of the players is a really big positive. I'd say it's one of our biggest strengths at the moment.

Of course you need a bit of quality on the pitch, which we have some of as well, but this group has been through a lot together these last couple of years and have done it for themselves and the fans. There is a great bond there, and it must be a great feeling to be part of that as a player.

O0

I don't like comparing him to Hughton but in his own right, Pardew's done very well and has came through what could have been a tough spell after what had happened to Hughton very well.

Pretty much agree with this. Impossible to tell if Pards is an 'upgrade' on Hughton.

This season has been superb compared to what I expected. The main stand-outs being:

- Tiote and Barton dominating our midfield

- Making a laughing stock of both the Mackems and Villa

- The greatest comeback in PL history

- Steady away performances including our first win at the Emirates.

There have definitly been more positives than negatives.

All we need to do in the summer is bring in two players that will walk into the side (winger and striker, imo) to show the likes of Enrique, Tiote and Barton that this club is on the up. Tiote and Enrique might realise that moving to a "bigger" club isn't always the best thing. Look at Muntari. He went for big money to Inter and finds himself trying to re-gain form at the Mackems. Palacios in and out of the Spurs side, Bassong warming the bench up when he could have found himself playing every week for us. All we need to do is offer them a better deal and show them that this club is being ambitious.

This season is retribution for the relegation year.  Bad decisions and bad luck then, bad decisions and good luck now.  ;D

It's a testament to the players, really.  Where as they slowly collapsed under the s*** storm of 08/09, this year they just work harder and perservere.

Even Ashley has to see that by adding some good pieces the club can be a contender.

Thing is though, we haven't had the luck!  Last minute equalisers against the unwashed and the spuds cost us four points, we've had an injury list as long as my arm for most of the season and we have sorely missed Ben Arfa and now Ameobi too.  Also, the refereeing has been diabolical against us, so if we HAD had some luck, we'd be about sixth in the table about now!

I don't like comparing him to Hughton but in his own right, Pardew's done very well and has came through what could have been a tough spell after what had happened to Hughton very well.

Pretty much agree with this. Impossible to tell if Pards is an 'upgrade' on Hughton.

Looks like one to me.

Guest EastEndGeordie

This season has been superb compared to what I expected. The main stand-outs being:

All we need to do in the summer is bring in two players that will walk into the side (winger and striker, imo) to show the likes of Enrique, Tiote and Barton that this club is on the up. Tiote and Enrique might realise that moving to a "bigger" club isn't always the best thing. Look at Muntari. He went for big money to Inter and finds himself trying to re-gain form at the Mackems. Palacios in and out of the Spurs side, Bassong warming the bench up when he could have found himself playing every week for us. All we need to do is offer them a better deal and show them that this club is being ambitious.

Wouldn't want Bassong back even if he started paying us however, Palacios would be a good signing and if Wigan go down we could nab Roddagella on the cheap.

Wouldn't want Bassong back even if he started paying us however, Palacios would be a good signing and if Wigan go down we could nab Roddagella on the cheap.

Sorry don't think I was being clear enough.

I meant Tiote and Enrique might realise that moving to a bigger club doesn't always pay off, and listed a few examples. Then I meant we should give Tiote and Enrique better deals.

The character and spirit of the players is a really big positive. I'd say it's one of our biggest strengths at the moment.

Of course you need a bit of quality on the pitch, which we have some of as well, but this group has been through a lot together these last couple of years and have done it for themselves and the fans. There is a great bond there, and it must be a great feeling to be part of that as a player.

Agree completely. It's probably the main reason that we weathered the transition from Hughton to Pardew so well (though Pardew himself must take some of the credit), and then the transition from Carroll to non-Carroll.

Nolan and Barton seem to be at the heart of this good spirit. Funny to think of Joey the Scally being a force for stability.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Sorry don't think I was being clear enough.

I meant Tiote and Enrique might realise that moving to a bigger club doesn't always pay off, and listed a few examples. Then I meant we should give Tiote and Enrique better deals.

Oh right in that case I tottally agree with you mate, leave the toon and you'll ruin your career should be our new motto.