Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Personally though Webb was very poor. His whistle was non stop and spoilt the game i felt. Also don't think Ive seen someone blow for FT dead on the 5 mins in such a position.

As for the game.. loose a lead and pick up more injuries.. bit of a disaster:/

Some of the decisions today were mystifying.  Probably the worst refereeing performance I've seen this season.  Why we had to wait while the Everton sub got stripped and ready I'll never know...

get humped at stoke and the fight is well and truly on.

We'll win at Stoke.  I'm going to it and I'm in the midst of a 1-game winning streak, we can't fail.

ok you've convinced me.

Six points is nothing but there are eight teams between us and the drop zone. We're not safe yet but it stands to reason that they can't all suddenly start winning. They'll be playing each other, playing the top teams etc.

And even if they did start winning, we'd have to start losing every week. Everyone is inconsistent as f***, and considering the points we already have on the board (and our goal difference that is miles better than the bottom three) that's good news for us.

Yes, the way I've been looking at it...

The bottom teams have been going along at roughly a point a game for three quarters of the season.

It would be surprising if that changes much in the final run in.

Meaning 38 points approx at the end.

We're well ahead of that particular formula at the moment.

Some of the decisions today were mystifying.  Probably the worst refereeing performance I've seen this season.  Why we had to wait while the Everton sub got stripped and ready I'll never know...

In the 2nd half Hibbert tapped Jonas on the leg avoiding the latter a clean break into the box. If you watch the situation from behind, you could see Webb reach into his pocket to pull out a second yellow. However, he stopped his hand  when he saw that the perpetrator was hibbert.

Guest neesy111

Too many injuries is costing us badly now.

Jonas was my MOTM.

Saylor was diabolical and was Lovenkrands playing.

Guest neesy111

We'll be fine once we start getting our key players back.   Thought ferguson did well when he came on.

Jonas was my MOTM.

that last sentance was grammaticaly horrible like. I'm not one for fixing posts and shite as i'm probably one of the worst culprits for shit spelling/grammar but fuck me.

Jonas was my MOTM.

that last sentance was grammaticaly horrible like. I'm not one for fixing posts and shite as i'm probably one of the worst culprits for shit spelling/grammar but fuck me.

:lol:

Guest michaelfoster

Jonas was my MOTM.

Jonas was ok but his usual frustrating self tbh, Enrique was awful, didnt look like he was bothered before he went off

Guest neesy111

Jonas was my MOTM.

Jonas was ok but his usual frustrating self tbh, Enrique was awful, didnt look like he was bothered before he went off

Every decent attack was down our left hand side tbf.

Guest toonlass

We'll be fine once we start getting our key players back.   Thought ferguson did well when he came on.

Exactly,..Too bad Pardew didn't start with ferguson on the  LM

Said that to my mate pre-kickoff. Ferguson on the left, Jonas on the right. Simpson RB.

Harper - 7.5 - kept you in the game

Enrique - 6 - did OK, unlucky with the injury

Williamson - 6 - alright

Colo - 6 - same. Neither were hugely convincing, though.

Taylor - 4.5 - presented our best 2 players with the space to run the show

Simpson - 6 - alright

Tiote - 6.5 - did his best to get attacks going and was relatively solid, but not as good as I've seen him in other games

Nolan - 6 - for whatever reason, he was too deep a lot of the time. Quiet.

Jonas - 7.5 - although the incompetence of Hibbert made him look brilliant, he did very well today IMO and caused us danger on a number of occasions

Lovenkrands - 4 - I think he played, anyway.

Best - 7 - handful, deserved a goal. He's not amazing but gave our defence plenty to think about for the most part.

Shola - 6.5 - did quite well, held the ball up decently enough and kept some sort of pressure up.

Ferguson - 6 - decent showing for the time you gave him, you should play this guy more.

Kuqi - N/A

Overall, a fair result IMO and ultimately it hinged on you giving us far too much space. I was very surprised how many times Arteta could pick up the ball and run for 30 yards before anyone decided to go to him. He's had a poor season so far but give him that sort of room and he has the ability to run matches. Baines, similarly, was given too much time and it was almost inevitable that at least a goal - and as it turned out both of them - would be set up by his left foot.

In the 2nd half, we did our usual trick of sitting deeper and deeper. How on earth we managed to mess up countless 3 v 3 / 4 v 4 situations I don't know, and it was quite worrying how un-clinical we looked. From your POV, you huffed and puffed and caused plenty of panic in our defence but I felt you lacked a bit of guile and attacking composure - something the imminent introductions of Barton, Ireland and HBA will surely aid.

I highly doubt you'll get sucked into any serious relegation trouble. You just need your best players, when fit, to do the business and you should be looking at a top 10 finish, which whatever way you look at it would represent a superb first season back in the top flight.

Just got home.

Oh well, 51 and out  :undecided:

I'll give my proper thoughts later, but I can't believe that something that I've been building up since I was 13 years old, has just gone out like a whimper tonight.

I've been a big defender of his, but Pardew fucked up big time today. Jonas really impressed me today with his attitude, Howard Webb isn't fit to referee a kickabout in my back garden and Enrique is definitely off in the summer - can't say I was too impressed with the way he went about it today either.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper- 8- Some very good saves

Taylor- 4- Poor in general. No positioning, dumb as fuck.

Coloccini- 6- Alright

Williamson- 6- ^

Enrique- 6- Was doing alright

Simpson- 6- Worked hard but didn't really work in that role he was put in

Nolan- 6- Did some good work, quite deep

Tiote- 6.5- Good performance, had a lot of work though.

Jonas- 8- Good running and did a job when obviously injured

Best- 7- Decent

Lovenkrands- 3- Anonymous up front, piss poor out wide

Shola- 6- Did ok, has to start from now on

Ferguson- 6- Lively going forward, lacks some defensive experience

Kuqi- 6

Guest Loven11

Personally though Webb was very poor. His whistle was non stop and spoilt the game i felt. Also don't think Ive seen someone blow for FT dead on the 5 mins in such a position.

As for the game.. loose a lead and pick up more injuries.. bit of a disaster:/

He should shine the whistle up real nice and shove it up his arse.

Bar Taylor and Lovenkrands, I would say the team gave their all and there was no lack of effort. What upsets me more is our lack of squad depth. It's crazy having to play a RB at RM, CB at RB, then RB at LB, LW at LB, ST at RW. Everton for all their injury problems can even manage a decent shape. They better get it f***ing right in the summer and bring in the players to avoid such BS again.

Guest neesy111

I thought the Everton fans were the loudest fans to visit this St. James' this season. Then again, was sitting in the Sir John Hall stand.

Started off well, but 2nd half he was shocking.