Newcastle Goalkeepers

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Celtic bid for Forster? .. ;/

Celtic have reportedly made a £1.5 million bid to land Fraser Forster on a permanent basis.

The Newcastle United goalkeeper spent last season on loan at Celtic Park, helping the club to a Scottish Cup win and runner's up spot in the league and league cup.

Forster returned to his parent club at the end of the season but Celtic manager Neil Lennon has now made a move to bring him back to Scotland on a long-term basis.

Lennon has been on the hunt for a new number one and appears ready to place his faith in the 23-year old, wh ohad 25 clean sheets in 44 appearances between the sticks last season. The Englishman had been prepared to fight for a first team place at Newcastle United, but may be prepared to return to Celtic and help in Lennon's pursuit of silverware.

Forster had been linked with a recall to Newcastle in the January transfer window as the club had an injury crisis halfway through his loan spell. He said at the time that he was not keen on going back as he wanted to be playing reguar first team football, adding: "Sitting on a bench is not something I want. The only way I will progress in my career is if I am out playing in front of big crowds."

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said that he did not feel Forster had been tested enough during his time in Glasgow, making derisory comments abuot the standard of the SPL and leaving the player in doubt as to whether he had moved up the pecking order a St James' Park.

1.5 million...no chance! Suppose we could accept the bid and send Steve Harper up North in disguise  :shifty:

• 1 month later...

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/pardew_will_make_a_late_call_on_toon_goalies_1_3652438

Pardew will make a late call on Toon goalies

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Saturday 6 August 2011 12:30

ALAN Pardew will wait until the 11th hour before deciding on his goalkeeper for the start of the new season.

Pardew must decide between last season’s No1 Steve Harper, Tim Krul and Fraser Forster.

Krul was handed a second pre-season appearance in this afternoon’s home friendly against Fiorentina.

And Pardew and his goalkeeping coach, Andy Woodman, will next week assess the trio’s performances before making a decision for the Arsenal game a week today, though injury could yet rule Harper out of the reckoning.

Forster has spent the past two seasons on loan – at Celtic and Norwich City – and the club is again likely to farm out a goalkeeper.

“I need to give Tim another opportunity,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“Fraser’s played three, Harps has played two, and Tim’s played two. I’ll make a decision for the Arsenal game on Thursday, or whenever I need to make it.”

Pardew – who this week denied a report linking him with a move for West Ham United goalkeeper Robert Green – has also revealed his starting XI against Fiorentina won’t be his strongest side.

He went on: “Sometimes in pre-season I’ve played my best team in that final game, be it in the first half, or for the whole game.

“I’m not going to do it this time, because I’ve got players who need minutes, and there’s the goalkeeping situation.”

Meanwhile, Harper – who underwent knee surgery late last season – played in Monday’s 3-1 friendly win over non-league Gateshead.

And the injury setback is a frustration for the 36-year-old, who has been outstanding since succeeding Shay Given between the posts.

“In every position everybody’s desperate to get into the team for the Arsenal game,” Harper told the Gazette.

“We have a tough start to the season, and hopefully we’ll have as many players as possible available to give the manager a headache.”

Good news that there appears to be nothing between them, or a concern that the manager still doesn't know who he's going to rely on?

Most people seemed to want Forster in judging by posts from last season, what's changed?

Krul did pretty well at the end of last season, and Forster looked a bit dodgy for Celtic in their last 6 games or so. Factor in pre-season, and you have your answer.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think Steve Harper knows his role now, he's admitted himself that his body isn't holding up physically, and he's already started to look at potentially going into coaching.

• 1 year later...
Guest bimpy474

I think Steve Harper knows his role now, he's admitted himself that his body isn't holding up physically, and he's already started to look at potentially going into coaching.

Thought he was going to ref as he is qualified as one but i think i read that the Ref's association wouldn't let him be fast tracked.