Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

World Player of the Year is a popularity contest, its normally won by the flavour of the month ( ie who impressed the most at a WC or Euros) the fact Diego Milito who had a fantastic year in 2010 one of the main catalysts for Inter's treble wasnt even nominated tells you how much it should be listened too.

Xavi has controlled a game of football like no one i have ever seen and won everything there is to win and probably one and if not the best CM's to play the game.

Zidane was fantastically gifted magestic AM who excelled in major international tournaments for France, but at club level his career can be likened to a highlight reel he did some unbelieveable things but he didnt win what he should have done and apart from the CL final against Leverkusen he didnt grab the most important games by the scruff of the neck like he should have done.

Make your own mind up, but they are both amazing players and will go down in history and i for one would have liked to see them play in the same team.

Saying Zidane was in an inferior team at Madrid than what Barcelona are now is sort of ruining on his own point anyway.

The Galacticos was bought with unlimited bank rolled funds, signing the worlds great players trying to create some sort of super team.  If Zidane was more consistent and could dictate games throughout an entire season Madrid should have easily won more than they did during that time, but he wasn't.

This Barcelona team has eclipsed anything Madrid ever done during that era by a some f***ing distance because of players who cost nothing coming through the ranks like Xavi.  He's won twice as many league titles and 3 times as many Champions Leagues as Zidane.  He's also been named player of a major international tournament and has assists in his last 2 CL Finals.  He's shown up in big games just as much as Zidane did but has also done it consistently season after season for the last 7 years.

Titles are won by team. How many world player of the year has Xavi won? That surely is the epitome of individual achievement in football.

He'd have had one if he wasn't up against the player of our generation.

All pointless speculation

Iniesta is the more naturally comparable player to Zidane anyway, given he plays further up the pitch than Xavi and his style of play.  And yes, he's also better than Zizou.  :razz:

Yup and Ozil was better than both Xavi and Iniesta combined. Two can play this stupid game you wanna play  :p

World Player of the Year is a popularity contest, its normally won by the flavour of the month ( ie who impressed the most at a WC or Euros) the fact Diego Milito who had a fantastic year in 2010 one of the main catalysts for Inter's treble wasnt even nominated tells you how much it should be listened too.

Xavi has controlled a game of football like no one i have ever seen and won everything there is to win and probably one and if not the best CM's to play the game.

Zidane was fantastically gifted magestic AM who excelled in major international tournaments for France, but at club level his career can be likened to a highlight reel he did some unbelieveable things but he didnt win what he should have done and apart from the CL final against Leverkusen he didnt grab the most important games by the scruff of the neck like he should have done.

Make your own mind up, but they are both amazing players and will go down in history and i for one would have liked to see them play in the same team.

Could have happened. We were heavily linked with him while at Bordeaux, ended up with Dugarry instead...

But at club level his career can be likened to a highlight reel he did some unbelieveable things but he didnt win what he should have done and apart from the CL final against Leverkusen he didnt grab the most important games by the scruff of the neck like he should have done.

It was actually Ballack who took control of the midfield in that game. He should have won the wpoty that year after that amazing year with Leverkusen and getting Germany to the WC final too, but like you said Ronaldo won it for being Ronaldo and having one good tournament.

Aye, I really give little stock to WPOTY awards. Michael Owen has one FFS. It's fun to see Messi collecting them (long may it continue), but you have to take them for what they are; just look at how they are voted.

Michael Ballack was immense that season, but he was victim of Leverkusen coming in second in everything.

But at club level his career can be likened to a highlight reel he did some unbelieveable things but he didnt win what he should have done and apart from the CL final against Leverkusen he didnt grab the most important games by the scruff of the neck like he should have done.

It was actually Ballack who took control of the midfield in that game. He should have won the wpoty that year after that amazing year with Leverkusen and getting Germany to the WC final too, but like you said Ronaldo won it for being Ronaldo and having one good tournament.

Yh i should have explained myself, Zidane didnt do this often enough but his wonderful goal was enough to lead Madrid to the CL.

As for Ballack he was wonderful player in his prime, iam 22 and i still havent seen a more complete midfielder.

Yh i should have explained myself, Zidane didnt do this often enough but his wonderful goal was enough to lead Madrid to the treble.

As for Ballack he was wonderful player in his prime, iam 22 and i still havent seen a more complete midfielder.

:nope:

Only thing they won that year.

Yh i should have explained myself, Zidane didnt do this often enough but his wonderful goal was enough to lead Madrid to the treble.

:no:

Did i right that, watching Revista atm and talking about Messi and when Barca won the treble......

I am blaming Balague, editing now :D

They had an excellent core, coming from their CL wins in the late 90s. The Galáctico policy worked at the beginning when people like Figo or Zidane were icing on that cake. It's when Pérez started dismantling the side he inherited (Makelelé sale, for example) in order to add more glamour signings when things went to pot. To this day the memory of Beckham being deployed as DM in order to find him a place in the side still brings a smile to my face.

Guest firetotheworks

Saying Zidane was in an inferior team at Madrid than what Barcelona are now is sort of ruining on his own point anyway.

The Galacticos was bought with unlimited bank rolled funds, signing the worlds great players trying to create some sort of super team.  If Zidane was more consistent and could dictate games throughout an entire season Madrid should have easily won more than they did during that time, but he wasn't.

This Barcelona team has eclipsed anything Madrid ever done during that era by a some f***ing distance because of players who cost nothing coming through the ranks like Xavi.  He's won twice as many league titles and 3 times as many Champions Leagues as Zidane.  He's also been named player of a major international tournament and has assists in his last 2 CL Finals.  He's shown up in big games just as much as Zidane did but has also done it consistently season after season for the last 7 years.

Titles are won by team. How many world player of the year has Xavi won? That surely is the epitome of individual achievement in football.

He'd have had one if he wasn't up against the player of our generation.

All pointless speculation

As is this entire debate in that case.

Iniesta is the more naturally comparable player to Zidane anyway, given he plays further up the pitch than Xavi and his style of play.  And yes, he's also better than Zizou.  :razz:

Yup and Ozil was better than both Xavi and Iniesta combined. Two can play this stupid game you wanna play  :p

Can't actually believe what I've just read. I sincerely hope you aren't being serious.

And who determines that? Just look at the daft list of nominations every year, man.

What a ludicrous thing to say. The source is no surprise, of course.

You do have to take into account just how good this Barcelona team is on the whole when rating the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta against the other best players of our time IMO. Their style of football allows them so many chances to showcase what they can do on the ball, I've never seen a team quite like them.

Xavi is a marvelous player but to say that Zidane wasn't in his league is silly, he was a wonderful player and was the best in the world for a few years there.

That said Messi is definitely the best I've ever seen by a mile, neither Ronaldo is/was as good as him and I don't think it's at all close tbh. Xavi and Iniesta are fantastic but take one of them away and Barca would still keep going along at something close to the same level. Those two can be replaced, not to quite the same level but enough to keep being this Barca team going along the way it is.

Take Messi out and they go from being possibly the greatest club side ever to just another very good one IMO. There's just nobody who can even touch him.

assuming he never leaves barca the biggest questions will be:

(a) at what point does his utter domination of everything at one club become acceptable for the whinging cunts who won't accept he's the best? :lol:

(b) seriously speaking at some stage guardiola is gonna go and xavi/puyol will jack it in or be moved on, this will more than likely be the biggest challenge messi will face imo as by then he'll be mid to late 20's and in the prime of his career, can he lead them through what will probably be big and difficult transitions (guardiola especially)?

© how close can he lead them to madrids 9 european cups?  what've they got now, 4?

And who determines that? Just look at the daft list of nominations every year, man.

What a ludicrous thing to say. The source is no surprise, of course.

Yes the entire list of nomination may be dodgy but to dismiss the winner (which includes players like Messi and your bum boy Brazilian Ronaldo by the way) as deserving just to suit your argument is as hypocritical as it gets. The source of such hypocrisy is not so much a surprise as being dead certain, everybody could tell without looking at the avatar. 

Xavi is a marvelous player but to say that Zidane wasn't in his league is silly, he was a wonderful player and was the best in the world for a few years there.

:anguish: we're not having this again, are we?

Huh?

I'm sure we had a similar debate (Zizou vs whoever) last summer, where it was proclaimed that Xavi is better than Zidane ever was :lol:

What, me and you?

Far as I'm aware this is the first time we've ever spoken to each other outside the NFL thread. :lol: