Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Just seen a programme about him, and it brought home to me a particular skill that he often uses when he has a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. In that situation many players give it a blast. A good player will go round the keeper or chip the ball over his body when the keeper spreads himself in front of him. But Messi has the ability to sort of scoop the ball four or five feet in the air, without breaking stride and whilst still running at full pelt. The keeper ends up with no chance at all.

Perhaps it's not a skill that's completely unique to him, but it's effortless and something he can produce at will. Incredible player.

Guest neesy111

Didn't Keegan nearly sign him in 2008? The thought of Messi supporting a Newcastle player  :drool:

Yeap.  I was desperate for us to sign him as well. :(

:lol:

Imagine if he buggered off to Anzhi, all the about turns about him not being in it for the money compared to Ronaldo

Never was going to, any club willing to spunk that much money on one player who was never going to go anyway knows absolutely nothing about football, everything about publicity

Guest tollemache

Just seen a programme about him, and it brought home to me a particular skill that he often uses when he has a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. In that situation many players give it a blast. A good player will go round the keeper or chip the ball over his body when the keeper spreads himself in front of him. But Messi has the ability to sort of scoop the ball four or five feet in the air, without breaking stride and whilst still running at full pelt. The keeper ends up with no chance at all.

Perhaps it's not a skill that's completely unique to him, but it's effortless and something he can produce at will. Incredible player.

Love this. He got into the habit of doing it for every other 1 on 1 last season

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

If Messi doesn't win the Ballon Dor tonight its a joke, surely he has a fourth in a row in the bag.

-Still some people try to pick petty things out like he would not get half the goals he does without Iniesta and Xavi around him (Fact= only 10 of Messi's goals in 2012 were assisted by Iniesta and Xavi)

-Messi would not be the same player if he played in England (Fact= how has the likes of say Michu gone from Spain to England and ran a muck but for some reason Messi wouldn't???)

-He never preforms for Argintina (Fact= Messi has just under a goal every 2 games for his national team)

Messi is not only the greatest player in the world right now but if you look at stats for your evidence he is also the greatest player of all time, no player in the history of football has achieved more individual awards and lets not forget this lad is still only 25!

Give him the trophy he has earned and shut the fuck up, end of story.

People seem to think because Barca had a relatively poor season (CR7 and Iniesta both won La Liga/Euros) it will go against Messi, but it's not a team award, and 73 goals in one season is a ridiculous stat.

I know he's favourite, and rightly so, just some people think he shouldn't be.

They're the same fucking idiots who try to argue what I disproved above.

Other than the skill, the fact he's the greatest ever, and so on, one of my favourite things about Messi is how he tackles a tackle.

There are too many bitches in football these days that go down like a sack of potatoes the minute they even feel even the slightest of touches. Check out this video of the tackles Messi takes

Football clip

Some of the tackles Messi takes are shocking to say the least, its not highlighted as much because Messi doesn't react and gets up and on with things, he is kicked and battered almost every game and I watch all them when I can every weekend.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I would love to see Iniesta get it, just because he's my favourite player to watch, but really Messi deserves it far more.

He's excellent but he is playing for a club in a league where there are only two really great teams but on the international level he isn't the worlds greatest player by any means, the only way we could really judge him is if he was to play in a tougher league but he won't ever leave Barca so I'll guess we'll never know.

He's excellent but he is playing for a club in a league where there are only two really great teams but on the international level he isn't the worlds greatest player by any means, the only way we could really judge him is if he was to play in a tougher league but he won't ever leave Barca so I'll guess we'll never know.

What 'tougher league' would this be?