Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

The 2018 contract expiry date has no value if Messi's old man has insisted on the inclusion of another wage-activation clause - one of the rich Russian clubs attempted to trigger it.

Bayern, flush with revenue courtesy of the Bundesliga's improved tv rights deal, and also loaded with the Pep Factor, are still a danger to Barca's hope of retaining him as a one-club statesman. Messi's old man said that 'it would take a disaster for his son to leave Barca'. Bayern muscling-in, on any such contractual clause, is that disaster imho.

His new buy-out clause is 207 million Euros.

The 2018 contract expiry date has no value if Messi's old man has insisted on the inclusion of another wage-activation clause - one of the rich Russian clubs attempted to trigger it.

Bayern, flush with revenue courtesy of the Bundesliga's improved tv rights deal, and also loaded with the Pep Factor, are still a danger to Barca's hope of retaining him as a one-club statesman. Messi's old man said that 'it would take a disaster for his son to leave Barca'. Bayern muscling-in, on any such contractual clause, is that disaster imho.

His new buy-out clause is 207 million Euros.

207m is such a weird number to get to, why bother with it? Why not have it say 'a million billion pounds and 12 magic beans'

• 3 weeks later...

I know he's scoring goals too but his overall performances need to pick up if Barca are going to win the Spanish Cup or CL.... for a while now he's overall game has been a lot lower than the usual standard we are used to seeing and his goal record is disguising that.

Mind you he's not the only one, a lot of them need to pick their game up. Only really Iniesta has maintained his level over last couple of months.

I do wonder how long it will be until we see another player as good. Should watch as much as possible of him I suppose considering it's unlikely there'll be another like him for a very long time.

Welbeck is going to take off next season.

I do wonder how long it will be until we see another player as good. Should watch as much as possible of him I suppose considering it's unlikely there'll be another like him for a very long time.

Welbeck is going to take off next season.

He's never a Transformer is he ?

Guest Rey Mysterio

I know he's scoring goals too but his overall performances need to pick up if Barca are going to win the Spanish Cup or CL.... for a while now he's overall game has been a lot lower than the usual standard we are used to seeing and his goal record is disguising that.

Mind you he's not the only one, a lot of them need to pick their game up. Only really Iniesta has maintained his level over last couple of months.

Completely agree his form has dipped drastically since Christmas. Saying that he still scores in nearly every game which I guess bodes well for him & Barca for when he gets his form back.

Completely agree his form has dipped drastically since Christmas. Saying that he still scores in nearly every game which I guess bodes well for him & Barca for when he gets his form back.

Aye. He's not really playing will but still scores so much and contirbutes in a way. My problem with him is that he is reminding me of Ronaldinho 2006. He wants to do everything, wants to take all freekicks, wants to touch the ball the most, wants to score all the goals. For me Iniesta is a better player at the moment. Creates so much for that Barcelona team.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiesned

How many league games in a row is that now?

EDIT: Just checked - that's now 17 in a row. Last failed to score in a league game on 3rd November!

2008/09: 5193 minutes played, 43 goals scored or a goal every 120 minutes.

2009/10: 5391 minutes played, 48 goals scored or a goal every 112  minutes.

2010/11: 5562 minutes played, 57 goals scored or a goal every 97.6  minutes.

2011/12: 6035 minutes played, 82 goals scored or a goal every 73.6 minutes.

2012/13: 3292 minutes played, 49 goals scored or a goal every 67.2 minutes.

When does this statistic stop improving?

in 2020. so enjoy it while you can,lol.

How many league games in a row is that now?

EDIT: Just checked - that's now 17 in a row. Last failed to score in a league game on 3rd November!

Most impressive stat though is that he has't been playing well or Barcelona for that matter, yet he keeps scoring in every game and Barcelona leads the league by quite a margin.

Guest firetotheworks

He's purely a machine at the moment, because by his standards he's not playing that well. He's going to be the best ever like. I'm convinced of it.

He's purely a machine at the moment, because by his standards he's not playing that well. He's going to be the best ever like. I'm convinced of it.

He can be the best of all time as long as he doesn't win the World Cup in Brazil. Fucking hell, my biggest fear is him winning it IN Brazil...(worst part is, it probably will happen)

Guest neesy111

He can be the best of all time as long as he doesn't win the World Cup in Brazil. Fucking hell, my biggest fear is him winning it IN Brazil...(worst part is, it probably will happen)

Argentina won't be favourites for the World Cup.  No chance.

Like Barca, he's noy been great by his obscene standards. Yet can still just turn up tonight and tear a great European team apart. :lol:

Tonight Messi and the rest of Barcelona have been brilliant, even by their standards.