Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

I am literally talking about how the ball sticks to Messi's feet while running at full speed, and how he seems to go through 3 defenders like they are not there.  Zidane was incredible, but I don't think he quite had Messi's abilities there.  A lot of it goes back to Messi's balance at full speed.

Agreed, but Zidane was no schmuck in those areas.

Guest Howaythetoon

Zidane better than Messi :lol:

The only other player anywhere near him in our generation of watching football is Ronaldo before his injury imo.

:thup:

:thup: :thup:

f***ing Zidane. man. Great player but it's embarrassing how folk hype him.

If anything he's underrated. Same with Iniesta and Xavi. I guess its because none of them score a million goals a season or tear past 13 players before curling one on. The modern football fan is easily pleased and seemingly doesn't quite understand or appreciate the intricacies of the game or certain easthetics of it.

/snobiam

Guest firetotheworks

Anyway for me...

Pele -> Maradona -> Zidane -> Cruff -> Messi -> Ronaldo -> Ronaldinho ->  CRonaldo -> Collins John

Christ HTT. I know I disagree with you a fair bit, but that's canny out there.

That I've seen at their peak:

Messi-Ronaldo-CRonaldo-Xavi and Zidane-Ronaldinho

Guest Howaythetoon

Anyway for me...

Pele -> Maradona -> Zidane -> Cruff -> Messi -> Ronaldo -> Ronaldinho ->  CRonaldo -> Collins John

Christ HTT. I know I disagree with you a fair bit, but that's canny out there.

That I've seen at their peak:

Messi-Ronaldo-CRonaldo-Xavi and Zidane-Ronaldinho

Iniesta and Xavi are not far behind Collins John.

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw, of all the players I've actually seen live in the flesh on a consistent basis I'd say Bergkamp and Henry were right up there, quickly followed by Dean Ashton...

http://i.imgur.com/k0XRVov.png

Probably already common knowledge, but just chucking it in the mix.

That's interesting, because yes, I can see that the way he plays, with those sudden bursts of acceleration and changes of direction, must be quite knackering. He's the dead opposite of a one-paced player.

To be honest, he just looked tired this World Cup. Players aren't machines and he needs a break.

How many people here have seen Pele play a full game and how many games of his did they see? Even with Maradona you would have to be 35 or 40 to have watched him play live at his peak. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt many people I'm this forum have seen Pele play and I'd say about maybe 50:50 have seen Maradona play at his peak yet almost everyone here is saying that Messi isn't near as good as them. All anybody can say is that a certain player is the best they've seen and for me Messi is the best I've seen

Maradona has to be the best, and I would put gazza in any top ten as well

http://cdnl.complex.com/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SPORTS/2013/10/content/1382546840_pelevsmaradona_f.jpg

How many people here have seen Pele play a full game and how many games of his did they see? Even with Maradona you would have to be 35 or 40 to have watched him play live at his peak. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt many people I'm this forum have seen Pele play and I'd say about maybe 50:50 have seen Maradona play at his peak yet almost everyone here is saying that Messi isn't near as good as them. All anybody can say is that a certain player is the best they've seen and for me Messi is the best I've seen

The thing is everyone who saw Pele said he was better than Maradona and Messi, everyone who saw Maradona says he's better than Messi. Many who have only seen Messi believes him to be the best. Like I've said, Messi is the best I've seen at his peak, but I'm not going to doubt persons who have played the game and understands the game far better than me who says the other two were superior.

That's something I've noticed about Messi before, and cannot remember another player that was similar. He often looks like he can barely walk, then gets the ball and beats three defenders with ridiculous ease. It makes it difficult to tell if he really is fatigued or just resting during the match.

That's something I've noticed about Messi before, and cannot remember another player that was similar. He often looks like he can barely walk, then gets the ball and beats three defenders with ridiculous ease. It makes it difficult to tell if he really is fatigued or just resting during the match.

Tracy McGrady mkII.

I never saw Pele live but ive seen enough of him on film and listened to countless men whose knowledge I respect to make a decent enough judgment. The first time I saw Maradona he was 18 and tearing apart a fair Scottish side at Hampden. I've seen him many times and indeed saw him play at Wembley in 87.

Sounds like Chris Waddle.

I never saw Pele live but ive seen enough of him on film and listened to countless men whose knowledge I respect to make a decent enough judgment. The first time I saw Maradona he was 18 and tearing apart a fair Scottish side at Hampden. I've seen him many times and indeed saw him play at Wembley in 87.

Fair enough on Maradona so, if you saw both him and Messi play and think Maradona was better then fair enough. On Pele, what was his club career like? I know he scored loads of goals but were Santos winning a lot at the time or what was their situation?

Fair enough on Maradona so, if you saw both him and Messi play and think Maradona was better then fair enough. On Pele, what was his club career like? I know he scored loads of goals but were Santos winning a lot at the time or what was their situation?

Santos under Pele was the best club in the world in the early 60's.

Santos under Pele was the best club in the world in the early 60's.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I keep forgetting how fucking amazing Figo was as well tbf, I'd have to have him up there as one of the best players I've seen.

People still won't have seen anywhere near as much of Maradona as Messi.  I mean - not even close.  So I not 100% convinced that people are as well informed on Maradona and/or Pele as they might think.