Forward Thinking

Interpolic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It really all depends on who we can bring in. The only one I'd definitely keep is Shola.

Best and Lovenkrands I don't think are quite up to it. The emergence of Ben Arfa and Ireland may mean we can part company with Loven. Best will still be okay as a stand-in target man if we don't bring in anyone better.

The tricky decision is Ranger, who can look dangerous when he comes on as a sub. He'd benefit from a loan spell, but he's handy to have around.

I'd keep the Kuqi monster actually. He seems really popular with the squad and will be on basically fuck all. In case of an injury crisis, I'd rather have him than no one. Basically he can be a player/coach.

As for the rest, I'd keep Shola, Best and send Ranger on loan if we sign two more strikers (keep here if we only get one) and release lövenkrands.

New striker

New striker

Ben Arfa

Best

Shola

(Ireland?)

(Ranger) 

----

Kuqi

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think it'll be: (in terms of pecking order)

One new striker.

Best (Partner)

Ameobi

Ranger

Lovenkrands- (Kuqi type emergency player).

Guest Roger Kint

It'll be touch and go whether Best can overturn Shola as the number two I reckon, next season anyway.

Best has proven himself to be a more effective striker, in my opinion.

Definately

It'll be touch and go whether Best can overturn Shola as the number two I reckon, next season anyway.

Definately

Only over a very short period of time though.

Definately

Ameobi was really poor last night. I struggle to see what he brings to the team.

Keep.

Keep.

Keep.

Loan.

This. Even if we sign two strikers and have Ben Arfa back there is the potential that with an injury crisis we could be needing someone like Lovenkrands.

Definately

Ameobi was really poor last night. I struggle to see what he brings to the team.

Well yeah, Shola's limitations are well known. All I'm saying is I don't think it's guaranteed that Best will overtake him.

Obviously if Best continues to score like he was before his injury he will do. He also has age on his side.

But come on guys, you seriously want Best to be leading our line?!

If he's good enough he can and he will. It doesn't matter what his name is.

I'd be happy to have Llambias playing up front if he could somehow score one in every two.

Guest Roger Kint

But come on guys, you seriously want Best to be leading our line?!

No we have all said we need at least one better striker and were arguing the merits of who should be backup out of Shola/Best.

Guest pleno1

We have a very very solid defence, perhaps the best it has been for a decade (or longer)

A midfield of  Barton  - Tiote -- Ireland -- Ben Arfa, is very very sexy.

So I think investing heavily in strikers is the way to go forward.

We have a very very solid defence, perhaps the best it has been for a decade (or longer)

A midfield of  Barton  - Tiote -- Ireland -- Ben Arfa, is very very sexy.

So I think investing heavily in strikers is the way to go forward.

I agree, we could maybe do with another midfielder who is athletic and mobile and can play CM and RM when needed.

And possibly back-up/replacement for Enrique :(

One problem for Pardew will be how he plans on using Ben Arfa. If he sees him as a second striker, and plan on playing 4-4-1-1 (which im all for, personally) I can see us just singing one more striker and Ireland, and have Best and Shola as back ups for the new striker and Ireland as back up for Ben Arfa. This would leave us with decent depth, as we'll be able to use Ben Arfa as a wide player should we need to and still have four options for our front two, while only having to sign one expensive striker plus Ireland (which really shouldnt cost much), letting us increase depth in other areas of the pitch (right back (left back as well if we send Ferguson on loan), wingers and good cover for Tiote).

Ben Arfa (Ireland (Nolan))

New Striker (Best, Shola)

Guest pleno1

Attacking  

Bendter   (spelling)

Ben Arfa         Ireland

Guthrie       Tiote    Barton

Defending

Bendter

Ben Arfa    Guthrie   Tiote   Barton   Ireland

Can change Guthrie for somebody else?

Can have Nolan as Back up. Have Gutierez as a sub for width if we are struggling.

Can be somebody else instead of Bendter but I think he would lead the line really well for us, Crouch, Pavalychenko would both be awesome too.

Thoughts?