NUFC all time premier league starting XI

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest ToonUltra

Dont get me wrong, Ginola knocks his socks off when it comes to football, well in his day. However, i reckon the pace on the wings with them 2, plus the power of Big Al, then the pace and mentality of Tino would be a crazy team to deal with.

Guest pleno1

Talking about pace when 8(arguably 9) of those were not especially rapid ???

Hence why he added pace?

Guest Roger Kint

Talking about pace when 8(arguably 9) of those were not especially rapid ???

Hence why he added pace?

Not read his follow up post? Good stuff!

Enrique/Zog only 2 with any real pace tbh and the rest is largely pedestrian hence my query. Hardly a good reason to add it when you choose to select the rest over more fitting candidates imo.

Guest Roger Kint

Kint......Dyer?

And you criticise my choice of Milner?

Well as much as i would love to dispute the details of who is faster Dyer or Milner i really should ask first...........where did i pick him? ???

Guest Roger Kint

Apologies, just read the last bit of your post.....

Fair do's mate. Still there is no way Milner had more pace than Dyer. For that matter Robert > Zog too if you were going down that route.

Guest ToonUltra

Milner done a lot more in my eyes than Dyer, however, i thought Robert was one of the most bone idle players i've ever seen. Good on his game but that was only 25% of the time. Plus his dummy was out more times that Fergies.

Guest Roger Kint

Milner done a lot more in my eyes than Dyer, however, i thought Robert was one of the most bone idle players i've ever seen. Good on his game but that was only 25% of the time. Plus his dummy was out more times that Fergies.

Staggering tbh.

Totally agree with Ian & Ronaldo on this like.

---------------Perez

Perch--Cacapa--Marcelino--Quinn

---Bassedas--Butt--Hamilton---

Andersson--Dalglish--Robinson

Europe here we come.....and this lot as back up.

-----------------Given

Beye--Woodgate--Howey--Enrique

---Solano------Lee------Ginola---

-------------Beardsley---------------

--------Shearer---Ferdinand------

Guest Howaythetoon

In terms of the individual and their respective positions and how they would all compliment each other in a starting XI I'd go with:

Given

Beye

Woodgate

Albert

Enrique

Solano

Batty

Lee

Robert

Shearer

Beardsley

That side there would challenge for the title and possibly even the CL.

My only doubt would be the pairing of Woodgate and Albert, both similar type of defenders. I'd worry about our mobility in the centre of the park too. Batty was mobile but not as athletic as say Tiote. Lee likewise. Beardsley in his prime and Shearer in his prime up front? That would be one awesome front line on a par with any today.

I would go with this, although Tiote might prove to be better than Batty given a couple of seasons. I might prefer Ginola over Robert, not sure.

Ginola was the better individual and more of a winger but with Shearer up front Robert's crossing is needed more than Ginola's flair and dribbling which is a role I think Beardsley would fill in such an XI. I was tempted to pick Scott Sellars myself but Robert's crossing, shooting and set-piece play would benefit the above XI more I feel and is far superior to Ginola and Sellers'.

Batty for me was vastly underrated. He was a tough tackler but also a good passer. He wasn't the liability in possession Tiote can often be for us but I would agree, a few more season's of Tiote performing to such high standards and he would easily displace Batty.

I would have loved to have put Speed in my all-time XI but Rob Lee and Batty together in the middle in their pomp would be some force.

Back to Robert, imagine him and Enrique together down that left?

Back to Robert, imagine him and Enrique together down that left?

That is a scary combination. The right side of teams would die.

What about Enrique and Ben Arfa...

Can't wait!

Don't hold your breath like.

Batty for me was vastly underrated. He was a tough tackler but also a good passer. He wasn't the liability in possession Tiote can often be for us but I would agree, a few more season's of Tiote performing to such high standards and he would easily displace Batty.

I would have loved to have put Speed in my all-time XI but Rob Lee and Batty together in the middle in their pomp would be some force.

I never liked Batty. He had some ability but he was far too cautious. He was the master of the aimless sideways pass and didn't take enough responsibility for taking a risk and making something positive happen. Tiote has his limitations but he's always eager to get the attack going. If anything, he perhaps takes too much responsibility.

The only player I'd see as a rival to Tiote is Speed, for his heading ability at both ends of the pitch, and his greater ability at getting on the end of chances in the box. However, I think Speed went missing now and then and I'd go for Tiote's limitless appetite for involvement and hard work.

I never liked Batty. He had some ability but he was far too cautious. He was the master of the aimless sideways pass and didn't take enough responsibility for taking a risk and making something positive happen. Tiote has his limitations but he's always eager to get the attack going. If anything, he perhaps takes too much responsibility.

The only player I'd see as a rival to Tiote is Speed, for his heading ability at both ends of the pitch, and his greater ability at getting on the end of chances in the box. However, I think Speed went missing now and then and I'd go for Tiote's limitless appetite for involvement and hard work.

Batty would never give the ball away and cost us goals like Tiote has done a couple of times.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree Batty was sometimes too cautious but you have to consider the team he played in and the players around him - that was his job - to temper the over attacking nature of the side. A balance if you like. At Blackburn where the right and left of him tracked back and held their shape/discipline he was less cautious, often acting as a deep lying playmaker similar to how Pirlo or Carrick operate (I'm not comparing Batty to those players by the way). What Batty did really well was to cover and tackle. He could tackle that man. When he did pass the ball forwards he often delivered a threatening ball. Tiote is a different kind of player altogether if you ask me. Yes he's considered a defensive midfielder but for me he's more of a ball player. If I were Pardew I would find a Batty type who just sits and covers and make Tiote our all-round type of midfielder, the box to box guy, the give and go man. He's too good of a footballer to be restricted in that way. Perhaps Nolan can be our Batty? Someone who just sits and covers with Tiote becoming our Nolan if you like?