NUFC all time premier league starting XI

Guest sicko2ndbest

Solano looked very good fairly often, but rarely great. Ginola gets the nod on the right, for me anyway.

Did he actually ever play on the right for us though? To be honest I agree with you and sort of cheated by putting him behind Shearer in mine because I couldn't leave out Nobby or Robert. :lol:

Solano looked very good fairly often, but rarely great. Ginola gets the nod on the right, for me anyway.

Solano was always good.  Rarely brilliant, but always good.  Great crosser of the ball and good set pieces.  Ginola on the left, Robert was way too inconsistent. Either amazing or a waste of a place in the team.

But usually the former. Solano had more ineffective games - just for different, less obvious reasons.

Solano was always good.  Rarely brilliant, but always good.  Great crosser of the ball and good set pieces.  Ginola on the left, Robert was way too inconsistent. Either amazing or a waste of a place in the team.

But usually the former. Solano had more ineffective games - just for different, less obvious reasons.

Bit of the old rose tinted spectacles there, mate!  I'd say it was 70/30 - shit/great for Robert.  Why do you think he did absolutely nothing after he left us?  His freekicks were amazing when they went in, but again, he would pound 90% of them into row Z.

i know what you are getting at. often away from home what he done,he done well but too often there wasn't much of it.

Bit of the old rose tinted spectacles there, mate!  I'd say it was 70/30 - s***/great for Robert.  Why do you think he did absolutely nothing after he left us?  His freekicks were amazing when they went in, but again, he would pound 90% of them into row Z.

Not many wingers have averaged 8 goals a season and fuck knows how many assists for us tbh.

i know what you are getting at. often away from home what he done,he done well but too often there wasn't much of it.

I think Solano needed others to give him the ball.  He wasn't a fighter who would do a 20ft slide tackle in the mud in Hull when losing 2-0, but I think when surrounded by our best players, he would flourish, especially with Shearer and Ferdinand on the end of his deliveries.

Bit of the old rose tinted spectacles there, mate!  I'd say it was 70/30 - s***/great for Robert.  Why do you think he did absolutely nothing after he left us?  His freekicks were amazing when they went in, but again, he would pound 90% of them into row Z.

He got old. It happens. Show me another player current or otherwise that could repeat his goals/assists from 03-04. Pedro springs to mind, Bellamy perhaps.

I think Solano needed others to give him the ball.  He wasn't a fighter who would do a 20ft slide tackle in the mud in Hull when losing 2-0, but I think when surrounded by our best players, he would flourish, especially with Shearer and Ferdinand on the end of his deliveries.

There's the difference between them then - Solano played great in a great team. Robert made a team great.

There's the difference between them then - Solano played great in a great team. Robert made a team great.

He speaketh the truth like. We went from Cordone/Gallacher & Glass/Bassedas in 11th, to Bellamy & Robert in 4th. The rest of the squad was pretty much as you were (although a fully fit Shearer was huge too).

He speaketh the truth like. We went from Cordone/Gallacher & Glass/Bassedas in 11th, to Bellamy & Robert in 4th. The rest of the squad was pretty much as you were (although a fully fit Shearer was huge too).

Kevin Gallacher man, what a fucking load of shit. The epitomy of a try hard to mask his inability.

Given

Beye    Woodgate   Howey    Enrique

Tiote      Lee    

Gillespie                                 Ginola

Beardsley

Cole          

Guest Roger Kint

Given

Hughes

Woodgate

Colo

Bernard

Beardsley

Speed

Lee

Robert

Shearer

Ferdinand

As much as i want to include Solano/Ginola i cant bring myself to drop Sir Les for either.

I can remember a 1000 page thread on Robert that didn't reach any conclusion.

My feeling is that defenders sussed him out after a time. If he had time and space to run at a defender and go down the outside, he was very effective. Close him down early or move him inside on to his right foot, and he couldn't do much.

I didn't pick either, but given the choice, I'd go for Ginola. He was more versatile.

Even there, I think Spurs saw the best of Ginola. He was so determined to prove Dalglish wrong, that he'd put 100 per cent into every game, chasing after the ball like he was demented.

Guest Roger Kint

I can remember a 1000 page thread on Robert that didn't reach any conclusion.

My feeling is that defenders sussed him out after a time. If he had time and space to run at a defender and go down the outside, he was very effective. Close him down early or move him inside on to his right foot, and he couldn't do much.

I didn't pick either, but given the choice, I'd go for Ginola. He was more versatile.

Even there, I think Spurs saw the best of Ginola. He was so determined to prove Dalglish wrong, that he'd put 100 per cent into every game, chasing after the ball like he was demented.

Agree with Ginola there, aside from 6 months where he was incredible and unplayable for us he was better at Spurs tbh.

I toyed with the idea of 4-3-3 with Pedro behind S&F but then couldnt think of a CM who did more than Robert/Solano/Ginola. It would have been Clark/Dyer/Tiote or something which wouldnt do.

Guest Howaythetoon

In terms of the individual and their respective positions and how they would all compliment each other in a starting XI I'd go with:

Given

Beye

Woodgate

Albert

Enrique

Solano

Batty

Lee

Robert

Shearer

Beardsley

That side there would challenge for the title and possibly even the CL.

My only doubt would be the pairing of Woodgate and Albert, both similar type of defenders. I'd worry about our mobility in the centre of the park too. Batty was mobile but not as athletic as say Tiote. Lee likewise. Beardsley in his prime and Shearer in his prime up front? That would be one awesome front line on a par with any today.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, looking at all these XIs its clear to see we've had some outstanding players over the years, which has never been our problem. Our problem has always been assmembling a team of outstanding players and keeping them something which KK and Sir Bobby did and hence our best sides and seasons competing for the top honours. Not rocket science is it. We have the nucleaus of a good side with some outstanding players in Colo, Enrique, Tiote and Ben Arfa. We need 3 top players in midfield and up top to become a top side again in my opinion. Oh and a top manager...

Guest pleno1

This team has experience, pace, enthusiasm, stamina, height, power, goals, set peice takers.

Given

Solano

Peacock

Woodgate

Enrique

Dyer

Jenas

Guthrie

Barnes

Rush

Shearer

In terms of the individual and their respective positions and how they would all compliment each other in a starting XI I'd go with:

Given

Beye

Woodgate

Albert

Enrique

Solano

Batty

Lee

Robert

Shearer

Beardsley

That side there would challenge for the title and possibly even the CL.

My only doubt would be the pairing of Woodgate and Albert, both similar type of defenders. I'd worry about our mobility in the centre of the park too. Batty was mobile but not as athletic as say Tiote. Lee likewise. Beardsley in his prime and Shearer in his prime up front? That would be one awesome front line on a par with any today.

I would go with this, although Tiote might prove to be better than Batty given a couple of seasons. I might prefer Ginola over Robert, not sure.

Guest ToonUltra

Given

Hughes    Albert  Pearce    Enrique

Milner      Batty    Lee      N'zogbia   

Shearer  Asprilla