Will we suffer from the "Second Season Syndrome"?

Guest Flatline

This team will almost certainly be relegated. Desperatley need reinforcements.

Didn't we say that a year ago?

No.

Can't be arsed to trawl through past threads but, at the time, I seem to remember there was a fair amount of support for the "straight back down" theory. IIRC there was a feeling that we hadn't got enough to create or score goals at this level.

But imo we only went down because our owner (and/or his posse) completely pulled the foundations out and shat on the hole that was left. The squad that went down was overpaid and underperforming but was plenty good enough to stay in the Premiership with any sort of stable management. I think our squad right now is very different in terms of profile and attitude but probably just as strong, plus there is the feeling that the manager has the ear of the owner, and I hope I don't live to regret saying that. With some good business in the window and no damaging managerial issues I can't see that relegation is even a possibility. 

Not a chance in hell we'll go down.

Well that's gone and done it! :lol:

:pow:

Well y'kna, I could either sit on the fence like 50% of you, or condemn us to relegation like the other 50%. At leats this way I can be the first to say "I was right." Alternatively, it makes the 'mong member' tally lower if I'm wrong.

Why did you quote me?

Did I misunderstand your post? Sorry if so. At the time I think there were a number of posters who thought we would go back down without significant investment. And I'm now guessing you weren't one of them.

Sorry I am probably confused, I thought there was a good chance we could go down this season. This there is a smaller chance we will next season.

Ah well I didn't think we would go down this season but I am now very confused now so I'm out of here.

At a guess, Cajun's 'no' was in reply to the thread title rather than the post before his.

Yes, that's why I queried because I thought he was linking the two which shouldn't have been :thup:

5 words.

Wur. Guna. Win. Tha. Leeg.

We'll be fine. Once we add some pace to our fairly experienced team in the right areas, a top 10 aim should be very achievable.

Guest BooBoo

Unless serious attention is placed upon getting at least 2 decent goalscorers next season will be long and difficult.

Tend to agree. We have some decent players but desperate need firepower and bit of squad depth. As it stands, I don't think this current squad would survive next year.

Unless serious attention is placed upon getting at least 2 decent goalscorers next season will be long and difficult.

Tend to agree. We have some decent players but desperate need firepower and bit of squad depth. As it stands, I don't think this current squad would survive next year.

I disagree, we'd still have a stronger squad than the 3 promoted clubs and another 2 or 3 clubs that are already in the Premiership if none were to bring in any players, imo.

At a guess, Cajun's 'no' was in reply to the thread title rather than the post before his.

Couldn't resist having another look - and I have to say that looks like a good call.  :lol:

• 2 months later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Is this less of a possibility when we will have potentially 5/6 new starters in our starting 11.

Teams can't figure that out!

I don't think "second season syndrome" is possible with us IMO.

I've always thought of second season syndrome to imply a sense of a new team being "sussed out" as it were, and for teams the next year round to negate the threats which worked last time out largely due to how unprepared the opposition were for them and how fresh they were...

...and as far as our goalscoring threats go - well, we don't have any from last year! So, while we may struggle, maybe even scrap, I would never call it second season syndrome. I would call it "we're shite, this year" :lol:

That being said, I think we'll be okay.