Will we suffer from the "Second Season Syndrome"?

Guest Flatline

Regarding the actual question in err question. What we are that the likes of Blackpool aren't is that we are a Premier League club even if our side is a newly promoted one or was. That's what will prevent us suffering a second season syndrome. Blackpool are not a Premier League club for example. It took Bolton years to become one. We might have been relegated but that was a Premier League club down in the Championship.

My thoughts exactly.

Regarding the actual question in err question. What we are that the likes of Blackpool aren't is that we are a Premier League club even if our side is a newly promoted one or was. That's what will prevent us suffering a second season syndrome. Blackpool are not a Premier League club for example. It took Bolton years to become one. We might have been relegated but that was a Premier League club down in the Championship.

My thoughts exactly.

:thup:

At the minute, no. We have some real quality in our team, who also have a lot of premier league experience. If we bring in a couple of good stikers we should be aimin for top half, especially with Ben Arfa back adding creativity. Of coure if some of our quality players leave, SSS is a possibility.

It won't be second season syndrome that takes this club down next season, it will be pure incompetence. TT has it right, teams that suffer the syndrome are teams not used to the PL. We're not a team that's come up with a ballsy way of playing that's taken everyone by surprise, we've just battled away with the rest of the league in what's been a mediocre season. If we do go down it'll just be idiocy that's caused it, like the last time, not second season syndrome.

From where we were I'm glad to have a second season and grateful for the opportunity to have a syndrome. As someone above said let's see what happens this summer and have another punt at where we go after that.

is there really a second season syndrome anymore ? or is it more that out of those group of 8 or 9 (and lets face it we were in that group) who will fight it out, one or two of those will be of the recently promoted.

Only main differences to the side which came up were Tiote and a fully fit Barton and we've been comfortable mid table all season. I know it's a cliché but having Gosling and Ben Arfa back really will be like 'new signings'. Throw in a few new signings this summer too and don't see why we shouldn't be look to push the top 8 a lot closer next season.

As long as no-one goes (obviously they will because we sell everyone who is good etc..) and we sign one quality forward then we are already in a better position.

It won't take massive investment to improve the team that started the season, I know Carroll has gone but if we signed someone like Demba Ba who won't cost the world then I don't think the loss will be THAT big if he played like he has since January.

Need to expand the squad very reluctant to sell anyone given our injury record over the last few years. Bring in another four or five players and not loose anyone and think we'll be ok.

As long as no-one goes (obviously they will because we sell everyone who is good etc..) and we sign one quality forward then we are already in a better position.

It won't take massive investment to improve the team that started the season, I know Carroll has gone but if we signed someone like Demba Ba who won't cost the world then I don't think the loss will be THAT big if he played like he has since January.

Not that we are a team that could suffer SSS, but the dross coming up is enough to buffer us in to safe season. Norwich will burn out quicker than Blackpool, whoever wins the play-offs is flawed throughout while QPR and their potential money is the only real threat coming up but no doubt they'll do something stupid like sack Warnock and bring in a chum no one wants to play for. On top of that winning the league with 88pts says it all, that wouldn't have even got you promoted last season, you'd have been in the play-offs, and apparently it was QPR's to lose for the best part of the season.

I think this seasons odd league is really down to two strong teams coming up while the fluky underdog outsiders doing really well until the inevitable fall, no way will all 3 underdogs next season do as well as this years promoted trio and its that reason alone we've got a much better chance of staying up next year than we did this year. Next years premiership will be weaker.

QPRs squad is going to need some serious improvement as well. Their strength this season was the defence, but that'll be tested much more in the Premiership and will more than likely leak quite a few goals. Going forward they've got Taraabt who will be more likely to go missing when the team isn't doing so well, and looks like he wants to be on his way out anyway. Routledge isn't really Prem standard if they sign him from us, nor is Helguson or Smith. Players like Shaun Derry certainly aren't Premiership quality either.

Isn't half of Blackpool's squad out of contract? If they do stay up they will struggle big time imo.

Also can see Charlie Adam leaving.

Probably on his way to Liverpool really.

Guest WashyGeordie

I don't think we've over-achieved, which was maybe deliberate with cashing in on Carroll in Jan and not getting a replacement, but i've always thought the clubs getting 'SSS' are the one's who have over-achieved in the PL (Ipswich/Reading come to mind) and can't finance the extra needed to just strengthen to try and achieve the same position (or near abouts).

I think if we spend wisely and actually strengthen our squad, injuries aside, we have a good chance on pushing on from this season (which has been a good season).

But nothings ever straight forward with NUFC!