Sam Allardyce

Ritchie

Guest MrSundlofer

Alan Smith to West Ham = good off the pitch, not so good on the pitch. Alan Smith is a leader, a good character to have in the dressing room... but he's not good enough in midfield. With Allardyce playing 4-3-3, it can work.

Alan Smith to West Ham = good off the pitch, not so good on the pitch. Alan Smith is a leader, a good character to have in the dressing room... but he's not good enough in midfield. With Allardyce playing 4-3-3, it can work.

:lol: :lol:

Guest MrSundlofer

:lol: :lol:

Explain.

p*ss off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest MrSundlofer

p*ss off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry? Alan Smith in a 4-3-3 as a central midfielder with Sam Allardyce as a manager = long balls. Works better for Alan Smith than a 4-4-2 short passing style of play.

The notion that Smith playing football in any scenario could 'work'.

Yes.

Guest MrSundlofer

I really hope Allardyce agrees with you, that's all I'll say Swe.

What kind of player is Alan Smith? He's a hard-tackling midfielder. Is he good enough for the Premier League? No. Is he good enough for a top team in the Championship? No. Maybe.

His strength is his experience and his leadership. And to play for Sam Allardyce in a midfield of three is maybe the best way to use him? He's useless in a 4-4-2.

I'm not a fan of Alan Smith and I would be happy if we sold him, but he is still a role model for younger players and a experienced player.

It's very easy to underestimate the importance of experience.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I really hope Allardyce agrees with you, that's all I'll say Swe.

What kind of player is Alan Smith? He's a hard-tackling midfielder. Is he good enough for the Premier League? No. Is he good enough for a top team in the Championship? No. Maybe.

His strength is his experience and his leadership. And to play for Sam Allardyce in a midfield of three is maybe the best way to use him? He's useless in a 4-4-2.

I'm not a fan of Alan Smith and I would be happy if we sold him, but he is still a role model for younger players and a experienced player.

No.

Guest MrSundlofer

I'm sure you can pay less than 50k a week mind for a role model.

I'm not sure I understand what that statement adds to the conversation or what you wanted to say.

I wouldn't even describe Smith as a hard-tackling midfielder. Giving him a set position, role and description is far too much of a compliment. He's a nothing footballer, a pointless useless non-entity. He does not perform any function whether he's in a 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or whatever other set-ups you put him in.

Guest MrSundlofer

Okay, I see it's pointless to discuss this in a mature way  :lol: ...so just hope Alan Smith signs for West Ham and they play him in a 4-6-2 or whatever..

Anybody who thinks Smith can perform any footballing function in the top two tiers of English football simply musn't have watched our games for the last 2 seasons. The only explanation, nothing to do with the 'maturity' of the debate.

I remember when we had one of our terrible games under Allardyce, might have been Derby, and Allardyce came out and said it was all good because the team were starting to follow his way because Alan Smith had done a good man marking job on an opposing player.