This season as a whole

Stifler

Far outstripped expectations overall, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been brilliant. Typical mid-table team season really, some cracking wins, some wank defeats.

The summer will tell us if we're content to be a mid-table club or not.

:thup:

Happy enough overall but handing the Mackems the bragging rights has really took the shine off it for me. It was all self-inflicted which makes it worse.

Would you swap a 5-1 defeat if it meant finishing higher than them?  I wouldn't and I'll never forget many hundreds, possibly thousands of them walking out of the ground at half time never to return.

Far outstripped expectations overall, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been brilliant. Typical mid-table team season really, some cracking wins, some w*** defeats.

This, basically.

Have to say also, Mick has it spot on with regards to the Mackems. They cannot go out of this season with a 5-1 defeat claiming to be the better side.

The table may say one point difference, but we spanked them to next season in that game at SJP.

They weren't much better at the SOL either.

Happy enough overall but handing the Mackems the bragging rights has really took the shine off it for me. It was all self-inflicted which makes it worse.

Would you swap a 5-1 defeat if it meant finishing higher than them?  I wouldn't and I'll never forget many hundreds, possibly thousands of them walking out of the ground at half time never to return.

Aye, would I swap this season for

10th Newcastle....47

12th Sunderland..46

Newcastle 1-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 5-1 Newcastle

Nahhhh.

Very exciting season. There've been so many memorable games, 6-0 v Villa, 5-1 v Mackems, 5-0 v WHAM, 4-4 v Arsenal. Even games like today's, whilst ultimately pretty disappointing will live long in the memory. Singing Ben Arfa and Tiote, Hughton leaving, Carroll going for £35m... it's hard to put into words just how much of a rollercoaster this season has been. Never a dull moment. And overall I am pleased with how the team performed.

Onwards and upwards!

Think we've done well, but when I look over the course of the season there's been more games I think could have been losses/draws to wins, than wins to draws/defeats, etc. so could have been even better.

Optimistic of pushing the likes of Everton closer for a top 7 spot.

A good season where we achieved our aim. Don't think it was terrific though like Pardew said. We still finished below the team that finished runners up to us last season.

Im going to sound like a right cunt. The season was unreal, fucking top class. I cant feel that though at the end of a 3-3 draw in which we lead 3-0. Thats utter failure right there. Thats the last game before next season. I want our players to fucking play for the shirt every game and most of our fringe players cant be fucked.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think this season has shown the importance of the right manager with the right team. Look at Hodgson at Liverpool and now at West Brom, likewise the return of Dalglish for the Scousers. We'll never know how the season would have panned out for us if Hughton had remained in charge, but I can't be too disappointed with how its went under Alan Pardew. He's shown a bit of adventure at home, which I'll admit was missing under Hughton (despite the high scoring results he managed). Often felt we fell into the high scoring games due to how poor the opposition was, opposed to how awesome we were.

At least under Pardew at Home we've looked half interested in wanting to attack (at the risk of be crap at the back).

Been pleased with how well both managers have managed the injury list and never once really mentioned it as an excuse, or bemoaned their lack of luck. Great to see in the modern era where everyone seems to jump to the injury list as if it was some voodoo curse out to get them and only them. Please to see Shane Ferguson make his debut, take it and earn increasing praise with each performance.

Wherever he eventually plays (position wise), its been good to see a winger that finally drives the ball forward and runs at the fullback. Shame there's only one attack in the box at a time for him to get a cross in to.

Krul has done well too. Initially he looked a little out of depth, certainly exposed due to lack of match experience.

HOPEFULLY the consistent mentioning and bigging up for the Academy is true and something comes from it. Llambias mentioned in the match day program (v WBA) that every penny from the 12th Man Membership goes straight into the Academy as investment. Not sure how much that'll be, but its a nice sentiment.

Our second highest Premier League points tally since Sir Bobby...depressing or what. :lol:

2004-5 - 44 points

2005-6 - 58 points

2006-7 - 43 points

2007-8 - 43 points

2008-9 - 34 points

2010-1 - 46 points

When you put it like that, it shows just how shit we have been and very defiantely a club that was in decline.

All things considered, its been a very good season, not great.  We have achieved the main goal with a little bit in the tank.

A bit more quality in the squad and less reliance on the shit we have to use when injuries kick in and we are easily worth an extra 10 - 15 points next season which could see us tapping on the door for Europe.

A decent transfer window would make this a great season.

Guest firetotheworks

Far outstripped expectations overall, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been brilliant. Typical mid-table team season really, some cracking wins, some w*** defeats.

I don't get how you can say that. As a season, it's been anything but typical imo. I can't think of any other mid-table teams over the years who have been like we have this season.

We've totally pissed on my expectations and brought in a genuinely successful team spirit. That last game really put a sour note on things, but it was almost standard practise for us to surprise ourselves in any way possible this season.

People were saying it for ages man. ;)

No.

Not that we're not capable of losing games and being dragged into it - we certainly are - we're just not playing like a relegation candidate at present. Even when we've been s*** (Wigan, basically) our character has got us something.

We're better than 17th, and proving it.

I think that's it for me. We'll have spells where we go 3-4 games without a win, but I think we'll always win 2-3 on the bounce too to finish with around 50 points. Very comfortable mid-table.

Overall a good season! I think relegation served us well! Good time to reflect, clear out all the deadwood and stupid wages. Rebuild the club financially and get promotion. We've had some great results, stayed up with ease looking at it and we haven't really spent much at all. With 3 or 4 players next year we could easily cement a top 10 finish. Down points have to be the sacking, 5-1 and the 3-1. But hey, we actually look like a decent club now and we're trying to do the business on the pitch

Better than expected and could have been really good - but still not convinced by the manager or half the team

You have to ask how many of our lot would get a look in at teams in the top 6 - about 3 I reckon

Better than expected and could have been really good - but still not convinced by the manager or half the team

You have to ask how many of our lot would get a look in at teams in the top 6 - about 3 I reckon

You could say that about anybody outside the top 6 though couldn't you?

A horrible way to end the season, but proof if any is needed that very few of our fringe players offer anything at this level and that a concerted effort in the summer window is required on the incoming and outgoing fronts. Overall it's been OK, good early wins but after that it's been something of a grind.

Our aim was to survive and we did. Next season's task- to cement a solid top-half finish will be far harder.

A horrible way to end the season, but proof if any is needed that very few of our fringe players offer anything at this level and that a concerted effort in the summer window is required on the incoming and outgoing fronts. Overall it's been OK, good early wins but after that it's been something of a grind.

Our aim was to survive and we did. Next season's task- to cement a solid top-half finish will be far harder.

Sad thing is our future is in the hands of how Ashley feels. I can't see the likes of WBA, Sunderland, Stoke, Bolton, Fulham, etc. being able to push on from where they are, if Ashley really is serious about investing the Carroll money, then top 10 should be the minimum goal.