Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest BooBoo

Don't think I'm writing him off or anything daft. On the other hand, he doesn't get a pass just because he's new. It was a thoroughly unspectacular 5/10 showing.

I liked the look of him. :thup: Tidy first game considering the circumstances, and can only get better. Until he tired out, I felt he improved over the course of the game as he got more to grips with it all.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I thought it was a decent performance. Lacked a lot of match fitness and yes... he did show "promise".

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't think I'm writing him off or anything daft. On the other hand, he doesn't get a pass just because he's new. It was a thoroughly unspectacular 5/10 showing.

Agree to a certain extent. He will come into his own against weaker sides where we have more possession. It was always going to be difficult against the side where you see very little of the ball

Agree to a certain extent. He will come into his own against weaker sides where we have more possession. It was always going to be difficult against the side where you see very little of the ball

BINGO!

Guest BooBoo

I also think there's little to no credit in the excuse of "well he was up against good players so we shouldnt expect too much."

Both he and Tiote were clearly lacking in match sharpness. Also didn't help the fact that Tiote had a mediocre game by his standards. Should be fairly simple in that Tiote will win the ball, quickly feed Cabaye who will open up the play. Their movement in tandem will be essential and could be the difference between a positive and a below-par season for us.

I also think there's little to no credit in the excuse of "well he was up against good players so we shouldnt expect too much."

So you don't think playing against a team who generally have 60-70% of possession against nearly every team in the league isn't the best opportunity for a midfielder to show their worth?

Odd.

Offered little and the game passed him by, much like many of Nolan's performances in the latter of last season.

What a silly thing to say  :lol:

Let me educate you. First of all we couldn't get the ball most of the game, and so he wasn't able to have any real influence. On the rare occassions we did get the ball to Cabaye, he looked to make forward incisive passes. Nolan is totally incapable of this kind of game or approach.

Secondly, Cabaye tired so badly because he was working his bollocks off with Tiote, chasing Arsenal players around when they were overun in midfield through the first half of the game. Again, Nolan is totally incapable of this too, and had Nolan been in there instead of Cabaye yesterday, we would have never held them to no goals. Cabay's defensive efforts have gone completely unmentioned so far so thought I'd let you know.

Please don't compare someone who is clearly a fine athlete and a committed one to that lumbering fat person, Nolan. Embarrassing effort. You will only make yourself look very silly.

You gave him 3/10 in the match thread, at least he's improved since yesterday.

I think the people slagging him off either didn't watch the match, or haven't got a clue about football.

He worked hard yesterday, him and Tiote often prevented Arsenal from playing the patient game they like.

More importantly though, he has an eye for the killer pass, and was unlucky one of them didn't send one of our strikers through one on one. With him in our midfield, we looked alot more likely to play through balls rather than just humping the ball forward.

Cabaye will be one of our key players this season.

FFS its his first premiership game.People on here were slating Colocini in the whole of his first season.

Otter sounds like one of those people who is hoping all the new players do rubbish, so he can let us all know how clueless Mike Ashley is to have got rid of the superman that was Kevin Nolan. This Mike Ashley thing won't even allow people to just watch and enjoy the games, and be honest and realistic in their appraisals of what is going on on the pitch.

There is a reason we were 4-0 down after 26 minutes, with the lumbering oaf that is Nolan, in there alongside Tiote in the exact same midfield last season. Nolan couldn't keep up with any kind of movement from Arsenal and made us far worse defensively. Not a spectacular game yesterday, but at least we didn't need a 4 goal miracle comeback just to earn a point.

Cabaye had a few superb passes, and his workrate was magnificent, you guys need to watch the game again, look how he closes room and chases down and presses the man on the ball, he had a great defensive game last night and almost got a chance at goal when Obertan layed off a nice flick. The man worked very well in his first game in the premiership, him and Tiote will be killer when they start to work out their partnership.

Guest BooBoo

Kaka, don't be ridiculous please. I hope Cabaye goes on to be a great signing. I can only judge on yesterday so far and the game bypassed him. Yes Nolan was garbage first half v Arsenal last season. He was also instrumental in our fightback.

Now stop being silly.

Kaka, don't be ridiculous please. I hope Cabaye goes on to be a great signing. I can only judge on yesterday so far and the game bypassed him. Yes Nolan was garbage first half v Arsenal last season. He was also instrumental in our fightback.

Now stop being silly.

You troll. I troll. We all troll together.

:troll:

Guest geordienorway

Now stop being silly.

It doesn´t really do Cabaye justice to compare his first competitive performance in a new league with a player who has been around the Premiership more or less his entire career. I agree he wasn´t great, but it didn´t help that the defenders hoofed the ball up to Ameobi for large parts of the game. Cabaye will come good when we´re playing against more physical sides, because it will force us to dictate our attacking play through the midfielders. Imo.

Guest bimpy474

Now stop being silly.

It doesn´t really do Cabaye justice to compare his first competitive performance in a new league with a player who has been around the Premiership more or less his entire career. I agree he wasn´t great, but it didn´t help that the defenders hoofed the ball up to Ameobi for large parts of the game. Cabaye will come good when we´re playing against more physical sides, because it will force us to dictate our attacking play through the midfielders. Imo.

:snod:

Guest samjack

First game of the season, first premiership game, playing against Arsenal.............howay man give the boy a go ffs  :idiot2: