Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I want the Cabaye from the Villa game early in the season back.

Well he has to get forward more. He should never be behind Tiote in my mind.

Did you see the positioning of them both in the move leading to our goal? Cabaye about 15 yards behind Tiote who was bombing forward, should always be the opposite way around. Thought Cabaye also made some poor choices on the ball, notably one in the first half where he tried to slide it to Obertan between two Arsenal midfielders who were both right either side of the lightbulb-headed one.

He's been disappointing recently, but he's far better, like most players, when he has space to operate. Was very good in the Second Half against Sunderland and looked to create some good opportunities going forward when we actually had the ball in the 2nd half tonight. Not strong enough defensively and its a side of the game he can still improve on. When we press teams and are on the offensive (e.g. v Man U at home) he and Tiote are virtually unplayable. However, when we are on the back foot he is overly reliant on Tiote and his defensive fallibility was evident when Cheick came off.

Quietly worked his socks off. I was keeping an eye on him and ive seen a few people slagging him off but i thought he did exactly what he was told to do which was sit in alongside tiote and close down and he definatly put in a shift. My problem is if we were going to do that then maybe an option is play perch/guthrie as the 2nd defensive mid and push cabaye into the more advanced role that Obertan was apparently playing.

Guest VaVaVoom

Quietly worked his socks off. I was keeping an eye on him and ive seen a few people slagging him off but i thought he did exactly what he was told to do which was sit in alongside tiote and close down and he definatly put in a shift. My problem is if we were going to do that then maybe an option is play perch/guthrie as the 2nd defensive mid and push cabaye into the more advanced role that Obertan was apparently playing.

I agree with the latter part of your post.

Something that you'd think AP should have considered.

--------------------Ba--------------------

----------------Cabaye-----------------

Jonas---Tiote---Guthrie---Ben Arfa

Guest efullerton

Perhaps, but his passing, especially in the first half was atrocious

Guest neesy111

Amazing how many people on here don't think mainland Europe have winters bad as us, they are usually worse in Germany etc.

Would've gone for more of a

--------------Ba----------------

------------------------Ben Arfa

-Jonas-----Cabaye-----------

---------Guthrie---- Tiote-----

Midfield three shoring up the centre of the park while giving Cabaye license to attack more, Jonas concentrating more on his duties stopping the f***ing onslaught coming down our right hand side and covering for Cabaye when he goes forward, Ben Arfa coming in from the right to support Ba and cause problems. But we all know best.

I think he's a good player, but somehow it's like Pardew doesn't know how to play him. Maybe him and Tiote just don't work together, who knows.

Because they both like to sit deep. It shouldn't be such a big surprise as some of our French members pointed this out when he signed, comparing his role as a quarterback in American football terms.

I don't mind them both playing from deepish positions really, it's up to the players around them to create movement.

It's more of a problem when we play one up front obviously, but we had Obertan, Jonas and HBA who should have been providing support to Ba.

Guest neesy111

seems burnt out to me. probably wont get much of a rest in the summer either.

He's just had 5 weeks off though, so I can't understand why he'd still be burnt out.

I think he's a good player, but somehow it's like Pardew doesn't know how to play him. Maybe him and Tiote just don't work together, who knows.

Because they both like to sit deep. It shouldn't be such a big surprise as some of our French members pointed this out when he signed, comparing his role as a quarterback in American football terms.

Aye both Alonso and Mascherano  sat deep for Liverpool. It can work just fine.

seems burnt out to me. probably wont get much of a rest in the summer either.

He's just had 5 weeks off though, so I can't understand why he'd still be burnt out.

takes longer than that and then to build up to getting back into things rather than coming straight back in. he'd be stronger for it for next season if it weren't for the euro's.

I don't mind them both playing from deepish positions really, it's up to the players around them to create movement.

It's more of a problem when we play one up front obviously, but we had Obertan, Jonas and HBA who should have been providing support to Ba.

Aren't they all being asked to defend as well? We had Santon taken off today for being too adventurous, Jonas is only played because he's an auxiliary right back. Even Ben Arfa seemed to be spending more time in his own fucking penalty area than the opposition's. Yet the one player who contributed nothing (Obertan)  stayed on the pitch until well into the second half.

im sure most of you would have noticed how peculiar it was in the first half for pardew to instruct cabaye to sit the deepest while giving license for tiote to play a little further up.  Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Reminded me of the shambolic times of Glenn Roeder when he use to let Parker play further up and had Emre sitting deepest.  :idiot2:

Guest firetotheworks

To me he seems too responsible. Tiote and Cabaye have opposing strengths but both are being hindered by their collective 'all-round' contribution. Let Tiote break things up, let Cabaye work things forward. I know that's a simplistic view, but that should be the format to work from imo.

Gave his all as always but really, he was poor overall.

What really needs to be done is Pardew instructing him to push up a lot more. Let Tiote do most of the defensive work and tell Cabaye to attack. Yohan may be used to playing deep but really he needs to get that out of his system - for the Tiote-Cabaye partnership to properly click, they need clearly defined roles. It really does look as if Tiote is the attacker and Cabaye is the defender - should be the other way round man!

Perhaps, but his passing, especially in the first half was atrocious

Worked hard.  Poor on the baall first half , better in second (when he ironically got forward a bit more).  Soem nice cross field passes to switch play.  He'll be ok - first season in new league and all that

Didn't understand why he was behind Tiote, it wasn't just here and there BUT for most of the game, so surely that was instructions from Pardew, in which case I don't know what his thinking was

As it was he had an average game, the passing and touch was off

As others have said think 3 in the middle with him the most advanced might just get the best out of him