Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

You can be in control of a game and be on the back foot ala Mayweather. 

In the 5th season I would say we controlled a number of games but without the ball. We had teams where we wanted them. Not looking like they would score. For example, I would say we controlled the Swansea away game for large periods. Up until Tiote got injured they never looked dangerous but had plenty of the ball. we didn't have the ball but we had them where we wanted.

In a few of Carver's early games we had plenty of possession but we where never in control of games.

Think you're wrong there like.

We were solid in that Swansea game and they never looked like scoring but I can't for the life of me see how you'd say we controlled it.

I'm with Ronaldo, we were f***ing awful for the most part and even when we won were invariably the poorer team. It's how we knew at the time the wheels were destined to come off.

I agree with him on the Swansea game tbf. We just let them pass themselves to death between their box and about 30 yards from our goal. They dominated possession stats but I hardly remember us being under threat or danger the whole match.

You can be in control of a game and be on the back foot ala Mayweather. 

In the 5th season I would say we controlled a number of games but without the ball. We had teams where we wanted them. Not looking like they would score. For example, I would say we controlled the Swansea away game for large periods. Up until Tiote got injured they never looked dangerous but had plenty of the ball. we didn't have the ball but we had them where we wanted.

In a few of Carver's early games we had plenty of possession but we where never in control of games.

Think you're wrong there like.

We were solid in that Swansea game and they never looked like scoring but I can't for the life of me see how you'd say we controlled it.

I'm with Ronaldo, we were f***ing awful for the most part and even when we won were invariably the poorer team. It's how we knew at the time the wheels were destined to come off.

I agree with him on the Swansea game tbf. We just let them pass themselves to death between their box and about 30 yards from our goal. They dominated possession stats but I hardly remember us being under threat or danger the whole match.

I agreed too, I just don't think you can say we controlled it.

That Swansea game i think we did, i have seen Mourinho teams do it many times over the years ( as in have hardly any of the ball but in complete control) I don't think there was many other times that season where it was the case though.

That Swansea game i think we did, i have seen Mourinho teams do it many times over the years ( as in have hardly any of the ball but in complete control) I don't think there was many other times that season where it was the case though.

They're two different things though; 'controlling a game' to me requires control through the midfield, whereas being solid defensively to the point where the other team know they can't break you down just isn't the same thing.

Actually let's put it this way: with the ball you can control a game, if you're not in control of the ball then you're containing the other team. That's what we did against Swansea, we contained them to the point both teams knew there was only one outcome.

He was ace together with Tiote the season we ended 5th. They definitely controlled games, Manure at home springs to mind.

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time, sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

The Tiote-Cabaye partnership played a key part in keeping it tight at the back though. They were fantastic together, often against a midfield 3 too. Since when does "controlling the midfield" only refer to the offensive side of the game?

It doesn't and nobody said it did. We weren't in 'control' of games. We were purely reactive the vast majority of the time and if we conceded the first goal we were fucking done for because of our reliance on nicking a goal against the run of play.

I'm going to agree with this, While we won a few games with Tiote and Cabaye together in midfield, they never really gelled together, if anything Tiote ended up playing further forward which he just isn't cut out for. Cabaye for me is only really effective when he's played further forward as part of a midfield 3. This means that you have to sacrifice a forward, and unless you have a really effective target man, that can leave you short of goals.

Without looking, for a fair chunk of that season I'm pretty sure both players had their spells on the side lines too. Guthrie played in Cabaye's absence and did alright.

They're two different things though; 'controlling a game' to me requires control through the midfield, whereas being solid defensively to the point where the other team know they can't break you down just isn't the same thing.

Disagree tbh, you can have control in a number of different ways it's not just about the Barca way of dominating possession. Quite frankly every good manager wants control of the game there's just different ways of going about it.

Without looking, for a fair chunk of that season I'm pretty sure both players had their spells on the side lines too. Guthrie played in Cabaye's absence and did alright.

Still not happy we got rid of Guthrie who looked really good at times in our team.

He was ace together with Tiote the season we ended 5th. They definitely controlled games, Manure at home springs to mind.

It's amazing how much this gets said. It just isn't true. We didn't control games that season at all. We just scored goals at the right time, sat deep and kept it tight at the back.

The Tiote-Cabaye partnership played a key part in keeping it tight at the back though. They were fantastic together, often against a midfield 3 too. Since when does "controlling the midfield" only refer to the offensive side of the game?

It doesn't and nobody said it did. We weren't in 'control' of games. We were purely reactive the vast majority of the time and if we conceded the first goal we were fucking done for because of our reliance on nicking a goal against the run of play.

I'm going to agree with this, While we won a few games with Tiote and Cabaye together in midfield, they never really gelled together, if anything Tiote ended up playing further forward which he just isn't cut out for. Cabaye for me is only really effective when he's played further forward as part of a midfield 3. This means that you have to sacrifice a forward, and unless you have a really effective target man, that can leave you short of goals.

easy to overlook this btw

pardew

Still not happy we got rid of Guthrie who looked really good at times in our team.

I always thought Guthrie had a decent future ahead of him, thought he'd outlast Gosling at least.

Disagree tbh, you can have control in a number of different ways it's not just about the Barca way of dominating possession. Quite frankly every good manager wants control of the game there's just different ways of going about it.

see follow up, it's semantics anyway mind

Actually let's put it this way: with the ball you can control a game, if you're not in control of the ball then you're containing the other team. That's what we did against Swansea, we contained them to the point both teams knew there was only one outcome.

Guthrie was never a first choice because his physique didn't allow him to get around the pitch enough but IMO he was a cracking little player. He had a great range of passing and often popped up with a goal or assist.

Let's be honest he never had the class of Cabaye but was a great understudy to him. In some respects Tiote and Guthrie were a better partnership.

Once the battle was won Guthrie could control a game (on occasions). Another one needlessly shipped out.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie is just one of those players like perch who looked good in a side playing well but would go hiding when they weren't.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie had real talent, just no application or athleticism to accompany it.

Absolutely.

Don't forget the lack of spine, the little floor kicker.

West Brom away in Hughton's last game come's to mind.