CONCACAF Gold Cup

ponsaelius

The US has always had a problem developing proper strikers. The only player in recent memory that comes close would be Brian McBride. The typical American striker is usually an attacking midfielder or winger playing out of position and isolated. It is a nation of midfielders and 'keepers... apparently.

US does not really produce wingers though either.  It is odd to me- just had a conversation with a friend about this recently about how the US really has no one for certain positions.  Now it seems you can add center half to that list too. 

Also, on Freddy Adu. Surely he should have stayed in MLS a few more years?

I mean, he was probably never going to be a worldbeater.. but if he hadn't moved to Europe and been shunted all over the place he might have developed into a half decent player. Dempsey is an example of somebody who didn't move until he was like 24ish and he has done very well.

Dempsey also showed a lot of loyalty to Fulham after the 09-10 season when he had a few offers to leave for more money.

I mean, he was probably never going to be a worldbeater.. but if he hadn't moved to Europe and been shunted all over the place he might have developed into a half decent player. Dempsey is an example of somebody who didn't move until he was like 24ish and he has done very well.

IIRC, he wore out his welcome in MLS. DC tired of him and shifted him to some nondescript team, where it really didn't work out for him. It was more his youth-level performances that have salivated the mouths of European clubs.

IIRC, he wore out his welcome in MLS. DC tired of him and shifted him to some nondescript team, where it really didn't work out for him. It was more his youth-level performances that have salivated the mouths of European clubs.

Yeah, he really had no choice but to leave. Had a fallout with the manager at DC, traded off to Real Salt Lake, who were probably the worst team in the league at that point. He played a season or two there as their best player, but it was going nowhere. Staying in the MLS longer would have definitely helped, just didn't work out that way.

You have produced one world class forward.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/187790_144792915585269_1680371_n.jpg

lol

:lol: Was that necessary?

Bornstein lost us that game.

Need a CB too, I hear?

http://www.fifa.com/mm/photo/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/43/46/47/1434647_full-prt.jpg

:lol: You lost me there.

Stock response: Hey fuck you, Sewelly.

I' didn't see the match but everyone I know who did, pins the loss solely on Bornstein.

He was SHIIIIIIIIIIIT! It was genuinely fucking unbelievable. It was like when Leslie Nielsen was an umpire in Naked Gun. He clearly had no business on the field, but there was nothing anyone could do.

Need a CB too, I hear?

http://www.fifa.com/mm/photo/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/43/46/47/1434647_full-prt.jpg

:lol: You lost me there.

Stock response: Hey fuck you, Sewelly.

He's that Serbian CB that your youth coaches decided wasn't all that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1269736/Manchester-United-warned-20m-Borussia-Dortmund-defender-Neven-Subotic.html

Thought we really should've had Torres in the squad as well.  One of the few US players with any class, also he is Mexican but plays for the US - would've spiced things up.  And Gomez as well, for the same reasons.

Thought we really should've had Torres in the squad as well.  One of the few US players with any class, also he is Mexican but plays for the US - would've spiced things up.  And Gomez as well, for the same reasons.

Well, um, yes.

Longstanding and strange omission of Mexican-American (or Central American-American ha!)  players from the US squad.  Don't think its a policy decision or discriminatory practice. Just myopia. or stupidity.

And, Sewelly, the closest we've had to a "world class" player was a guy named Hugo Perez. (Born in El Salvador, moved to the US when he was a child.)

The lineup for the U17 squad looks Spanish as hell.

Good.

Read somewhere that the Mexican Primera Division is still the most popular soccer league in the US. More people are watching MLS and the English Premier league thanks to FSC. But Mexican football is still tops.

I think the next few generations of US Soccer players will be very "Spanish" due to their parents immigrating here and their children being the first generation to really grow up to have a professional soccer league in the US.

I think the next few generations of US Soccer players will be very "Spanish" due to their parents immigrating here and their children being the first generation to really grow up to have a professional soccer league in the US.

???

First, I think you are over-estimating the value and influence of MLS.  

Anyway, I grew up with NASL and watched NASL--- and Mexican and German football (on PBS, believe it or not),  throughout my childhood.  This is not the first generation to grow up with a professional soccer league in the US.  Not by a long shot.  

????

First, I think you are over-estimating the value and influence of MLS. 

Anyway, I grew up with NASL and watched NASL--- and Mexican and German football (on PBS, believe it or not),  throughout my childhood.  This is not the first generation to grow up with a professional soccer league in the US.  Not by a long shot. 

I mean more in a domestic, viable career option sense.  NASL was a relative flash in the pan.  The MLS is now here to stay and gives people a realistic goal to strive for in the American sports landscape.  You can now go to college and then play professional soccer (American Dream and all that) in the States while making a decent living where-as before you would be very luck to have that same life path in the 80s and even the 90s.  To make a living playing professional soccer you would have to gone across the pond and play in Europe or headed to South/Central America.  Now you can have what you need here in the States.

Isn't there a couple of Argies who have roots/have spent time in America? I know Funes Mori has but unfortunately he is shite but I'm sure there are a couple of others.