Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situations. Most of the factors involved would be psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

it may not be the clubs decision.

They do have the option of giving him a new, more lucrative deal that could convince him to stay, possibly with assurances of first-team football.

Up to them to decide whether that's wise or not.

no-one should have a contract that ensures them first team football anmd i wouldn't want him being unhappy for a footballing reason but the cash making him stay.

I think with a new full tank of gas and a preaseason to work with Cisse the partnership will come good. In 2 up top or part of a 3 man forward line.

Just my 2 cents, I think the Sunderland penalty miss and the fact he looked like was on empty post ACON knackered his confidence.

He played in all of our 4-3-3 victories and I for one would be devastated if we sold him, 16 goals in half a season was no fluke and I think it was more ACON after affects than formation or Cisse signing that hurt his game.

he played, and everyone has been saying how he doesn't look fit or happy. as the seasons went on he's looked less happy so i guess it'll come down to his happiness as opposed to anything we do. i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.

If he's not happy why would he entertain the idea of a new contract (which I think is where you're going at with the "busting the bank to keep a player..." statement?), or even come out inviting interested parties to trigger the supposed release clause? As far as I am concerned Pardew is doing the right thing: try to make him feel wanted and committed to the club. If it fails and he leaves (which isn't unlikely unfortunately), by all means move on and try to make us a stronger team by getting in a replacement better suited to the wide role in 4-3-2, but until then why would we be actively trying to get rid of one of the best forwards in the past Premiership season who we got for free on a relatively low wage?

i'm not actively trying to get rid of him, i've said a couple of times of my last few posts that I want him to stay, but that I think he'll choose otherwise.

Wasn't aimed at you specifically that last point.. However, I still fail to understand your breaking the bank/happiness argument. He's tied down to us, isn't he? It appears whether the wil be here come the 1st of September is not completely in our control (if the release clause rumour is true), but why should we not do everything in our power to keep him happy and committed?

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situations. Most of the factors involved would be psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

it may not be the clubs decision.

They do have the option of giving him a new, more lucrative deal that could convince him to stay, possibly with assurances of first-team football.

Up to them to decide whether that's wise or not.

no-one should have a contract that ensures them first team football anmd i wouldn't want him being unhappy at a tactical thing but the cash making him stay.

Well, yeah. But if the club do decide to throw more money at him I'll trust that they're made a reasonable decision based on what they know.

He played in all of our 4-3-3 victories and I for one would be devastated if we sold him, 16 goals in half a season was no fluke and I think it was more ACON after affects than formation or Cisse signing that hurt his game.

he played, and everyone has been saying how he doesn't look fit or happy. as the seasons went on he's looked less happy so i guess it'll come down to his happiness as opposed to anything we do. i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.

If he's not happy why would he entertain the idea of a new contract (which I think is where you're going at with the "busting the bank to keep a player..." statement?), or even come out inviting interested parties to trigger the supposed release clause? As far as I am concerned Pardew is doing the right thing: try to make him feel wanted and committed to the club. If it fails and he leaves (which isn't unlikely unfortunately), by all means move on and try to make us a stronger team by getting in a replacement better suited to the wide role in 4-3-2, but until then why would we be actively trying to get rid of one of the best forwards in the past Premiership season who we got for free on a relatively low wage?

i'm not actively trying to get rid of him, i've said a couple of times of my last few posts that I want him to stay, but that I think he'll choose otherwise.

Wasn't aimed at you specifically that last point.. However, I still fail to understand your breaking the bank/happiness argument. He's tied down to us, isn't he? It appears whether the wil be here come the 1st of September is not completely in our control (if the release clause rumour is true), but why should we not do everything in our power to keep him happy and committed?

as i just posted, if a players not happy for footballing reasons then i don't want him staying just for the cash.

I'm not too sold on him and cisse in a front 3, it might work but i'm not sure, if ba thinks not that's what'll see him leave imo.

as i just posted, if a players not happy for footballing reasons then i don't want him staying just for the cash.

I'm not too sold on him and cisse in a front 3, it might work but i'm not sure, if ba thinks not that's what'll see him leave imo.

What makes you think he's unhappy for footballing reasons, when he's publicly stated the opposite?

What makes you think he's unhappy for footballing reasons, when he's publicly stated the opposite?

recent performances,pardews comments and players,when asked, always say they are happy, or even nothing wrong with the club (ie they haven't done anything wrong) but this current position isn't working. anyhow, we'll see by september.

Meh, I trust the club to make the right decision in this sort of situation.

Most of the factors involved in deciding whether to renegotiate his contract or allow him to leave are psychological/emotional, so it's impossible for us to make an accurate assessment from the outside.

I don't understand all this talk about "trusting the club". They've had one good year. Most of you wanted them hanged in public about a year and a half ago.

If Ba leaves, he is one player that must be directly replaced by an experienced, proven professional. Best isn't good enough, Ameobi will not be fit for more than 60-70 percent of the season, and there will be Cup of Nations. Regardless of the formation, we need a known goalscorer behind Cisse

recent performances,pardews comments and players,when asked, always say they are happy, or even nothing wrong with the club (ie they haven't done anything wrong) but this current position isn't working. anyhow, we'll see by september.

How is it not working? Have our results been disappointing when he's played in that wide left position? Has the fluidity of that system not meant all 3 forwards have essentially played all over the front line in matches? Has Demba Ba himself not had some very good goalscoring chances? OK, he's not scored for a while, I'll grant you that, but he's missed some sitters (including a pen), hit the woodwork multiple times and been a key part of the best attacking play we've seen for many a season.

It's not like you to be all drama queen btw. You're normally one of the more balanced posters. Did you not take your chill pill this morning?

How is it not working? Have our results been disappointing when he's played in that wide left position? Has the fluidity of that system not meant all 3 forwards have essentially played all over the front line in matches? Has Demba Ba himself not had some very good goalscoring chances? OK, he's not scored for a while, I'll grant you that, but he's missed some sitters (including a pen), hit the woodwork multiple times and been a key part of the best attacking play we've seen for many a season.

It's not like you to be all drama queen btw. You're normally one of the more balanced posters. Did you not take your chill pill this morning?

he may well feel it's not working for him, don't you think his performances haven't been as good since the change in formation/tactics, coupled with what may be my reading between the lines of pardews comments. like i've said, don't want him to go so lets wait and see.

WTF should he be unhappy about ???

seriously?

not playing his preferred role so not doing himself justice.

silly. he will get many games next season also in his preferred position. Even in the lw position (which isnt he his best i admit) he will get many chances....it pure unluck that he didnt score a few goals from that position. he will also start on top in a 4-4-2 or instead of cisse in a 4-3-3.

WTF should he be unhappy about ???

seriously?

not playing his preferred role so not doing himself justice.

silly. he will get many games next season also in his preferred position. Even in the lw position (which isnt he his best i admit) he will get many chances....it pure unluck that he didnt score a few goals from that position. he will also start on top in a 4-4-2 or instead of cisse in a 4-3-3.

we'll see, hope you're right.

he may well feel it's not working for him, don't you think his performances haven't been as good since the change in formation/tactics, coupled with what may be my reading between the lines of pardews comments. like i've said, don't want him to go so lets wait and see.

His performances have tailed off towards the end of the season, no doubt. However, I don't subscribe to the notion that this is entirely caused by our change in formation/tactics.

The African Cup of Nations played its part, breaking up his rhythm and maybe knocking his confidence by going out losing all three of their matches after being touted as one of the favourites to win the tournament.

Fatigue played a significant role in the later stages of the season, as evidenced by the frequent second half substitutions.

The fact another striker came in (possibly even on his recommendation) and stole his thunder in spectacular fashion undoubtedly had an effect.

And of course the change in formation contributed to the drop in performances as well. In the 4-4-2 formation where he was coupled to Shola and Best we had a battering ram to do the hard work allowing him to take the headlines.

However, I don't think the change of formation has meant he has had a significantly lower number of chances per game. He was very clinical for the first part of the season (after a rusty start during Ramadan), then completely lost his finishing touch in the second half of the season due to a multitude of reasons (see above). The goals dried up, but the chances didn't.

Also, while he has stopped scoring, he hasn't stopped playing good football until the last few matches of the season (coincidentally when we moved back to the 4-4-2; a switch some claim was meant specifically to accomodate him). He was pivotal in making that 4-3-3 work, and his intelligence and control of the ball has contributed massively to our excellent run for the last third of the season.

What all this this proves to me is Demba Ba is very much a confidence player. When he's confident he's one of the best in the business, but his confidence is also fragile and a number of events coinciding have had an averse effect on his performances. All in all though, he's still had a fantastic season far beyond what anybody could have expected from him when he arrived here on a free last summer.

I trust Pardew to manage him right if he decides to stay (be it with a new contract or not) and him to be a key player for us next season just like he has been this time around.

Only thing that really worries me about Demba leaving is how close he seems to be with the likes of Cabaye and Cisse. Cabaye for example saying how they're always round eachother's houses for dinner etc. Can't shake the feeling that we're much more likely to hold onto them if we keep our group of french-speaking besties together (Hatem, Cabaye, Demba, Cisse, Tiote etc.)

lets be honest Unbelievable, you're guessing as much as anyone as to the reasons for the dip in form Ba had

"The African Cup of Nations played its part, breaking up his rhythm and maybe knocking his confidence by going out losing all three of their matches after being touted as one of the favourites to win the tournament."

you haven't any basis for this whatsoever, it's just a convenient excuse, nor does it explain cisse's performance on arrival at the club

EDIT: my guess is somewhere in between confidence at not continuing his scoring run after the ACoN, unhappiness at playing out of position after Cisse arrived (body language a big indicator) & tiredness (bear in mind he started the season fucking knackered as well :( )

It's amazing that now he's on a goal draught, how people are finding reasons to put him down. Where's all this "break the bank coming from" and despite whatever "injury worries" label that he seems to be stuck with, I don't remember him being out for any significant amount of time. As for his role in the 433, he was very close to scoring in quite a few of those games (remember him hitting the bar/post at least 3x) and even without scoring, he played well in majority of those games. If anything this is the time for the club/fans to support him so that he can regain the confidence to hit top form again

lets be honest Unbelievable, you're guessing as much as anyone as to the reasons for the dip in form Ba had

"The African Cup of Nations played its part, breaking up his rhythm and maybe knocking his confidence by going out losing all three of their matches after being touted as one of the favourites to win the tournament."

you haven't any basis for this whatsoever, it's just a convenient excuse, nor does it explain cisse's performance on arrival at the club

Heh? I've given four reason that may or may not have contributed to the fall in performances, which has also been greatly exaggerated as I've argued, rather than just the one that gets trotted around here all the time (change of formation). How is the change of formation theory any more probable than any (combination of the) other possibility(/ies)?

Efit: just seen your edit. You're now saying exactly the same thing as me.. ???

It's amazing that now he's on a goal draught, how people are finding reasons to put him down. Where's all this "break the bank coming from" and despite whatever "injury worries" label that he seems to be stuck with, I don't remember him bing out for any significant amount of time. As for his role in the 433, he was very close to scoring in quite a few of those games (remember him hitting the bar/post at least 3x) and even without scoring, he played well in majority of those games. If anything this is the time for the club/fans to support him so that he can regain the confidence to hit top form again

it's not the drought that i've noticed, it's that earlier ion the season everything that came to him stuck and his control was phenomenal. not so of late and it's been getting worse. fatigue, confidence whatever it's been very noticeable.

It's amazing that now he's on a goal draught, how people are finding reasons to put him down. Where's all this "break the bank coming from" and despite whatever "injury worries" label that he seems to be stuck with, I don't remember him bing out for any significant amount of time. As for his role in the 433, he was very close to scoring in quite a few of those games (remember him hitting the bar/post at least 3x) and even without scoring, he played well in majority of those games. If anything this is the time for the club/fans to support him so that he can regain the confidence to hit top form again

it's not the drought that i've noticed, it's that earlier ion the season everything that came to him stuck and his control was phenomenal. not so of late and it's been getting worse. fatigue, confidence whatever it's been very noticeable.

As alpal78 rightly suggests though, is that not when you'd expect a club/manager/supporters to stand by the player and help him get back to his previous form?

As alpal78 rightly suggests though, is that not when you'd expect a club/manager/supporters to stand by the player and help him get back to his previous form?

i am, i've said three times i want him to stay. still think he'll be off as he wants to be a first choice front line striker which he won't be here.

i am, i've said three times i want him to stay. still think he'll be off as he wants to be a first choice front line striker which he won't be here.

You also said this:

i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.