Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Guest Haris Vuckic

He picks his games, generally looks like he couldn't give a shite & flatters to deceive. People talk about his assists but it's a poor haul for someone with the amount of starts/subs he had.

I don't rate him too highly.

Guest Haris Vuckic

You've made me hate Haris Vuckic :lol:

No room for debate about football on here eh? Just kids thinking the same things?

I'm sorry but the poor number of assists is rubbish.  In the league he got 4 assists in 10 starts, an assist every 2.5 matches.  Let's compare that to the most creative midfielder in the league Juan Mata, 12 assists in 31 games, an assist every 2.58 matches.  Now I know Marveux has about 8 more sub appearences but that probably evens out when he is taken off early.

I'm not saying he is as creative as Mata, but that does clearly indicate his return on assists is actually really good for the football he has played.

It's the "overrated" nonsense, as if the opposing viewpoint holds him in some otherworldly bracket. Not proven maybe, injury prone almost certainly, but overrated?

He's never going to be a 30+ starts a season player for us but he's tailor made for a role in reserve. Worth £5m? It depends on how we re-invest it, I reckon it would be pretty difficult to bring someone of a similar level without the promise of first team football.

I'm sorry but the poor number of assists is rubbish.  In the league he got 4 assists in 10 starts, an assist every 2.5 matches.  Let's compare that to the most creative midfielder in the league Juan Mata, 12 assists in 31 games, an assist every 2.58 matches.  Now I know Marveux has about 8 more sub appearences but that probably evens out when he is taken off early.

I'm not saying he is as creative as Mata, but that does clearly indicate his return on assists is actually really good for the football he has played.

Assists as a lone stat is useless in any case, watching him last season his vision and ability on the ball was there to see, even though he was criminally under-used.

Assists as a lone stat is useless in any case, watching him last season his vision and ability on the ball is there to see, even when he was criminally under-used.

True enough, something like chances created might be more useful.  Harder to find though.

Guest Phil K

Kinnear/Pardew wants shooting if they get rid of Marveaux. The one player remotely capable of injecting some creativity when Hatem is out.

We KNOW Pardew and Kinnear are going to f*** up, just by how much and what way. In fact it's like waiting for a Laurel and Hardy episode

Or would that be Kinnear and Pardy ?

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr166/PhilK001/bobsonsofthedesert_zpsd80ffdcb.jpg

Guest Haris Vuckic

Totally pointless stats when you've took out his substitute appearances - 10 of them.

Didn't Sissoko end on three assists? Meaningless.

He's not the best passer of the ball in the team or the most creative either, Cabaye & Ben Arfa much better at both & Marv is far too inconsistent.

He picks his games, generally looks like he couldn't give a s**** & flatters to deceive. People talk about his assists but it's a poor haul for someone with the amount of starts/subs he had.

I think the quiet games have mainly been the ones where he's been played as a winger in the Premiership. Games have just passed him by completely when he's been played there.

As an attacking central midfielder though, the guy is a class act. Easily our best player over the Christmas period before getting injured/inexplicably dropped and then never making it back into the team (except for the odd occasion, usually out wide). His ability to drive forward with the ball in the middle of the park is his biggest attribute imo - he's very smart, has good bursts of pace, and is technically sound, all of which means he's great at exploiting space in the middle. All of these traits are wasted by playing him on the wing because it requires a different type of dribbling/directness than through the middle.

As Cheik the Room says, Marveaux (down the middle) and Ben Arfa in the same team could be a great combination. They could interchange during games if they wanted to try something different/mix it up a bit/Hatem isn't having any joy on the wing, and Hatem's natural game on the right flank involves him opening opposition teams up by beating 1-2 players near the touchline/half-way line and passing it infield, so it'd be great to have a technical runner like Marveaux down the middle to compliment and build on the opportunities Hatem provides for the team as a whole. Unfortunately, I don't ever see Marveaux getting much of a chance whilst Pardew is here, as we'd have to:

1) Play 4-3-3, when Pardew clearly only has faith in 4-4-2 (2 strikers in the box is better than one when it comes to percentage hoofball);

2) Have Marveaux starting (Pardew clearly views him as a cameo player - Marveaux probably isn't good enough in the tackle);

3) Have Marveaux as the most attacking of the central midfield trio (Pardew would probably opt for Sissoko to play that role, or as he did last season, would rather play someone more defensive like Jonas or Perch ahead of Marveaux); and

4) Have the team playing some sort of passing game to make use of a player who's pretty slick with the ball at feet (it's pretty obvious by now that we only "switch" to a passing style of play when Pardew wants it, which is rarely, and the rest of the time we play a "get the ball into the box as quickly as possible" game).

Ultimately, £5m for a crock we picked up on a free (iirc) would represent good business, especially if our useless plank of a manager is going to have us playing 4-4-2 percentage football. But selling this type of player would kill a little bit of me on the inside, as firstly there's always the hope that he gets over his injury problems, and secondly the goal should be to get more players of this type capable of getting the team to play good quality "penetrative" football on the deck (i.e. progress), rather than getting rid of our more talented and underused players to pander to a manager who's vision and tactics are no better than what you get at schoolboy levels up and down the country.

He picks his games, generally looks like he couldn't give a s**** & flatters to deceive. People talk about his assists but it's a poor haul for someone with the amount of starts/subs he had.

I think the quiet games have mainly been the ones where he's been played as a winger in the Premiership. Games have just passed him by completely when he's been played there.

As an attacking central midfielder though, the guy is a class act. Easily our best player over the Christmas period before getting injured/inexplicably dropped and then never making it back into the team (except for the odd occasion, usually out wide). His ability to drive forward with the ball in the middle of the park is his biggest attribute imo - he's very smart, has good bursts of pace, and is technically sound, all of which means he's great at exploiting space in the middle. All of these traits are wasted by playing him on the wing because it requires a different type of dribbling/directness than through the middle.

As Cheik the Room says, Marveaux (down the middle) and Ben Arfa in the same team could be a great combination. They could interchange during games if they wanted to try something different/mix it up a bit/Hatem isn't having any joy on the wing. Unfortunately, I don't ever see Marveaux getting much of a chance whilst Pardew is here, as we'd have to:

1) Play 4-3-3, when Pardew clearly only has faith in 4-4-2 (2 strikers in the box is better than one when it comes to percentage hoofball);

2) Have Marveaux starting (Pardew clearly views him as a cameo player - Marveaux probably isn't good enough in the tackle);

3) Have Marveaux as the most attacking of the central midfield trio (Pardew would probably opt for Sissoko to play that role, or as he did last season, would rather play someone more defensive like Jonas or Perch ahead of Marveaux); and

4) Have the team playing some sort of passing game to make use of a player who's pretty slick with the ball at feet (it's pretty obvious by now that we only "switch" to a passing style of play when Pardew wants it, which is rarely, and the rest of the time we play a "get the ball into the box as quickly as possible" game).

Ultimately, £5m for a crock we picked up on a free (iirc) would represent good business, especially if our useless plank of a manager is going to have us playing 4-4-2 percentage football. But selling this type of player would kill a little bit of me on the inside, as firstly there's always the hope that he gets over his injury problems, and secondly the goal should be to get more players of this type capable of getting the team to play good quality "penetrative" football on the deck (i.e. progress), rather than getting rid of our more talented and underused players to pander to a manager who's vision and tactics are no better than what you get at schoolboy levels up and down the country.

Great post. I completely agree.

Marveaux arguably has the best eye for a pass in the squad and unlike Cabaye he can hold onto the ball long enough to take it (if required). I like Cabaye, and I wouldn't call him a limited player, but his ability on the ball is no where near the level of Marveaux's.

EDIT: Not saying he's a better passer all in all than Cabaye like.

He's not a winger he's one of the few players in our side who can crack open a defense. It's not a talent that's shared by many and it would be a shame to lose him, if he's going to be a sub half the time

As Cheik the Room says, Marveaux (down the middle) and Ben Arfa in the same team could be a great combination. They could interchange during games if they wanted to try something different/mix it up a bit/Hatem isn't having any joy on the wing, and Hatem's natural game on the right flank involves him opening opposition teams up by beating 1-2 players near the touchline/half-way line and passing it infield, so it'd be great to have a technical runner like Marveaux down the middle to compliment and build on the opportunities Hatem provides for the team as a whole. Unfortunately, I don't ever see Marveaux getting much of a chance whilst Pardew is here, as we'd have to:

Great post that sums up the Marv situation perfectly. Going to be really gutted to see him sold but he is a casualty of the dire situation and style of football we are immersed in.

Totally pointless stats when you've took out his substitute appearances - 10 of them.

He's not the best passer of the ball in the team or the most creative either, Cabaye & Ben Arfa much better at both & Marv is far too inconsistent.

Nope. Ben Arfa lacks vision and Cabaye is great at long passing but doesn't have the quick feet for the great short passing. Marv is the best at the intricate passing imo. Best through balls at the club, head is always up and he knows exactly when to release the ball.

Are you old enough to make this post?

Marveaux arguably has the best eye for a pass in the squad and unlike Cabaye he can hold onto the ball long enough to take it (if required). I like Cabaye, and I wouldn't call him a limited player, but his ability on the ball is no where near the level of Marveaux's.

EDIT: Not saying he's a better passer all in all than Cabaye like.

Cabaye doesn't have quick feet. He's great when he has a bit of green ahead of him. But when it gets tight Marveaux is far better on the ball. It helps that Marveaux can actually dribble to create himself some space.

Nope. Ben Arfa lacks vision and Cabaye is great at long passing but doesn't have the quick feet for the great short passing. Marv is the best at the intricate passing imo. Best through balls at the club, head is always up and he knows exactly when to release the ball.

He has a natural calmness when in possession and doesn't panic, which the majority of our squad lack. Coupled with his mainly effective use of passing, vision and turn of pace he should be a key player for us.

Pardew puts too much focus on strength and power, which is needed for sure. Thats why I would worry about having Moussa playing exactly where Sylvain would be most effective.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the 7-3 since NBC aired it last night. He was so goddamn good that game, one of the best individual performances we saw, which I guess isn't saying much. He really needs to be playing a significant role this season.