Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I seriously hope this is Sylvain's time to finally prove his fitness, not that he's got anything in his locker to suggest he will be fit this season. His skillset is vital for our creation of chances, and his left foot is fucking brilliant. He's a first 11 player for me until we sign someone better/more reliable to play in attacking CM's role.

The problem is how to accommodate him. IMO he can't play wide, and he can't play as a CM because he's physically weak. Free role or AM is his position, so do we think he would work as the furthest forward of a midfield 3? Assuming HBA is also playing.

Asking for opinions here...but if we were to allow Marv and HBA to drift and roam about behind Cisse with a strong CM(s) partnership of Cabaye, Sissoko and one of Tiote/Anita and then have Santon and Debuchy as backs overlapping wide, could we not be OK with that? This assumes Mapou and Colo at CB allowing Mapou to use his pace to cover some of the space left when one of the backs are far up the pitch. 

I know a ton of what-ifs here, but to me that seems like one of our better options. I guess the rebuttal is AP wouldn't be able to create or implement a fluid system like this.

Asking for opinions here...but if we were to allow Marv and HBA to drift and roam about behind Cisse with a strong CM(s) partnership of Cabaye, Sissoko and one of Tiote/Anita and then have Santon and Debuchy as backs overlapping wide, could we not be OK with that? This assumes Mapou and Colo at CB allowing Mapou to use his pace to cover some of the space left when one of the backs are far up the pitch. 

I know a ton of what-ifs here, but to me that seems like one of our better options. I guess the rebuttal is AP wouldn't be able to create or implement a fluid system like this.

With that kind of system the whole side has to know what is going on at all times in a match and in all situations. It comes from bedding down the system in pre-season as it takes a while to gel and build understanding. Unless a manager is really visionary about implementing such a system and sticks with it through thick and thin they don't work.

I think you're absolutely right, that's how I would go with current personnel.

Guest Alexinho

:thup: Cool just wondering

Think it could work, but then Anita/Tiote should be the one getting down when Deb./Santon goes...

It is just as easy as 4-4-2, it's just about the right players getting freedom and the right ones not.

May biggest worry is lack of players up front running to give Marve and B'Arfa space. But could work, but then again - we have AP(e) as a manager so guess it won't..

I love the Ancelotti system but it relies a little too much on the unreliable in our case. With another couple of players brought in I'd love to see it at SJP though.

Shit did I just describe the Ancelotti system then?

I love the Ancelotti system but it relies a little too much on the unreliable in our case. With another couple of players brought in I'd love to see it at SJP though.

I thought the Ancelotti system was a diamond with 2 out-and-out strikers.

I thought the Ancelotti system was a diamond with 2 out-and-out strikers.

He mixes it up tactically but he favors the 4-3-2-1, used often at Milan, Chelsea and PSG. zonalmarking has some good writeups on it.