The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

The problem with Zlatan - off the pitch issues aside - is that he signed him to play the role of striker-playmaker that he had envisioned to replace Eto'o, and then found out he had the best player in the world for that role already in the squad.

Very true.

The irony being now Ibra is a striker/playmaker at Milan. :lol:

Yep, really growing into the role too. Looks more relaxed than he has for a few years and I can see him having his best goalscoring season ever this year.

Still annoys me how much of a mercenary he is, though.

Also, I know I'm biased at all, but I get really amused when I see how little credit Pep gets from some people. Look at the tactical movements last week during the Clásico and tell me if that's not "managing". How he moved Alves up, tucked Messi deeper, stretched Real Madrid's defence and earnt Messi acres of space that he used in two of our goals. "Master Tactician" José Mourinho didn't do squat until he went 1-3 down.

He's always tweaking, trying new stuff (he's terrified of us becoming "stale") and refining it. He's not always right (3-4-3 at Valencia got raped, but it worked very well against RM with some tweaks), and has a tendency to over-tinker some times, but some people make it look like he just gives the ball to Messi and goes to sleep at the dugout.

Guest guinness_fiend

Gutted about Villa.

4-0, Maxwell.

As strange as this may sound, it could do him a favour.  He has had a horrible season up to now and a bit of time away (and time to get fully fit) could see him regain his confidence and sharpness in time for next season.

Saying that, Sánchez / Pedro / Messi is an awesome front line.

I have no complaints about that frontline, it's just that we're down to playing Iniesta on the wing or a green Cuenca when one of them gets injuried or we just want to rotate. I can see Cesc getting quite a few games in the false #9/#10 position too.

To be fair, Cuenca has been exceptional this season, especially given that he has been thrown in at the deep end.  If Deulofeu would hurry up and demonstrate some form, he would be good cover too.  Unfortunately, he seems far too nervous on the ball and would likely be a liability in La Liga (at the moment, anyway).

Guest Heneage

I'm pretty confused how that constitutes irony, like.

They sold him because he couldn't fulfill a role he's now doing brilliantly elsewhere.

Guest schmuck

There's at least a conceivable link to irony there. Unlike this from a paid journalist the other day: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Manchester-City-tunnel-row-Ashley-Cole-shouted-Thursday-Nights-Channel-5-at-beaten-rivals-to-spark-post-match-fracas-claim-eye-witnesses-article842562.html (3rd to last paragraph)

'As a barely-related and in no way interesting aside' doesn't have quite the same ring to it I guess.

Gutted about Villa.

4-0, Maxwell.

As strange as this may sound, it could do him a favour.  He has had a horrible season up to now and a bit of time away (and time to get fully fit) could see him regain his confidence and sharpness in time for next season.

I have no complaints about that frontline, it's just that we're down to playing Iniesta on the wing or a green Cuenca when one of them gets injuried or we just want to rotate. I can see Cesc getting quite a few games in the false #9/#10 position too.

To be fair, Cuenca has been exceptional this season, especially given that he has been thrown in at the deep end.  If Deulofeu would hurry up and demonstrate some form, he would be good cover too.  Unfortunately, he seems far too nervous on the ball and would likely be a liability in La Liga (at the moment, anyway).

Deulofeu is just 17. He has all the ability in the world but still needs a better football brain and more calmness on the ball. If we can help him develop these attributes he'll become a cracking player.

Guest Heneage

He admitted it actually, but then said something like, "Ask your media team why that is," (the tweet saying he'd pinched them came from the programme editor).

Guest schmuck

You got to the 3rd to last paragraph on a Mirror Football story? You're a better man than I.

I don't make a habit of it. Simon Bird (to continue the theme) linked to it on twitter and it was fairly amusing story. That's my excuses made. So there.

Guest guinness_fiend

Gutted about Villa.

4-0, Maxwell.

Deulofeu is just 17. He has all the ability in the world but still needs a better football brain and more calmness on the ball. If we can help him develop these attributes he'll become a cracking player.

Agreed.  He seems to eager to please and just needs to concentrate on getting the basics right.  The rest will follow.