Pardew on Total Sport tonight

Big Geordie

This obsession with the £35m from Carroll is bordering on the mental for me.

The Carroll sale was a massive blow to the team and is still hard to accept, we did it because the deal was too good to turn down and the player fancied a shot at a bigger club. It's pointless to latch onto that one quote where Pardew said it would all be invested into the team. He was just responding to a question the best way he could in difficult circumstances, and he probably had no idea how much he would end up spending.

To judge our transfers solely on whether we spend the magic figure of £35m is pointless IMO. As far as I can see we've made some good moves in the market so far, and are looking to make more. There might be a big departure (Enrqiue) but circumstances make that inevitable anyway.

The club is running a regular loss, and there isn't a ring-fenced pot for transfer money. The club will spend what it thinks it can afford and when it can get the right deals. Let's judge that on it's own and stop bleating on about this magical £35m.

Ultimately we've had six months to decide what to do with at least £30m of allegedly unexpected income, with the benefit of what some seem to say is the world's best scout and a manager who apparently has the full backing of his manager and the club owner.

And yet here we are, with people happy to 'hope it allows us the ability to react to opportunities, if there are any'. :lol:

If we're so hard up that we needed to sell our best striker and most promising talent for big money just to pay wages and to afford to bring in couple of free transfers, it makes you wonder if they'd fully intended on flogging Carroll all along. And if that is the case, who's next out of the door?

Why are you taking the 'hope it allows us the ability to react to opportunities, if there are any' quote to task?

Do you disagree with it? Do you disagree that having an influx of money might allow us to jump on unanticipated oportunities if they come up towards the end of a window, that we might not ordinarily be able to stretch to?

If we've had a significant amount of money to spend for 8 months I'd have expected us to be finished our spending by the first game.

Sounds great, and we are clearly trying to do that with players tied up before the window even opened, and the next signing in hopefully before we hit America according to Pards.

But if we're prudent and a domino of transfers means a top player becomes available to us late in the window and we're able to stretch to him, that woldn't be a bad thing, right?

It would be a good thing if he was a good player/good price etc, but I'd have hoped we wouldn't need to be doing this. We start with some hard games and ideally we should have our best players signed and ready for those games.

I don't think we will be in a position to 'need' to do it (unless there is an unexpected departure), as Pardew says, we hope for two more attackers, one before the tour, one after. But I'm hoping the windfall means a greater flexibility, especially if it allows us to hold some back to move quicky if an opportunity arrives when the general scramble happens late on.

You are positive about players turning us down?

:lol:

I obviously didn't mean that. I'm not positive about the results, but I'm positive that we're trying for some decent players.

We can't make NUFC any more successful and appealing than it is, and we won't pay over the odds in wages. Therefore if we go for top players they are quite likely to reject us. It's all part of the process.

Guest Antec

But Pardew said: “When you sign somebody like Demba Ba or Sylvain Marveaux there are huge transfer fees involved in that."

Can anyone even have a guess at roughly how much these "huge" transfer will be? I have to say I'm confused

But Pardew said: “When you sign somebody like Demba Ba or Sylvain Marveaux there are huge transfer fees involved in that."

Can anyone even have a guess at roughly how much these "huge" transfer will be? I have to say I'm confused

Can't guess at figures, but Pardew probably shouldn't have used the term transfer fees. It will be signing on fees and agent fees. Probably running into millions in both cases.

Nothing new there, then.

Guest Antec

Can't guess at figures, but Pardew probably shouldn't have used the term transfer fees. It will be signing on fees and agent fees. Probably running into millions in both cases.

A little bit of honesty/clarity wouldn't go amiss from Pardew

"Just because there is no transfer fee involved that doesn't mean the signing is free, there are still significant signing on and agent fees to be paid" would suffice I reckon

Guest Antec

Nothing new there, then.

Fuck me thats rich coming from you mandyarse :lol:

Guest johnson293

Just listening to this, and he doesn't call them transfer fees.

What he actually says is “When you sign somebody like Demba Ba or Marveaux, there's huge fees involved in that".

He then goes on to say "it isn't just transfer fees, and this is unfortunately just how the premier league works"

Best part of £2 million, in my opinion.

Guest Antec

Just listening to this, and he doesn't call them transfer fees.

What he actually says is “When you sign somebody like Demba Ba or Sylvain Marveaux, there's huge fees involved in that".

He then goes on to say "it isn't just transfer fees, and this is unfortunately just how the premier league works"

That makes more sense, thanks

Lee fucking Ryder

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=andy-carroll-163-35m-will-be-reinvested-boss%26method=full%26objectid=28995596%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

I obviously didn't mean that. I'm not positive about the results, but I'm positive that we're trying for some decent players.

We can't make NUFC any more successful and appealing than it is, and we won't pay over the odds in wages. Therefore if we go for top players they are quite likely to reject us. It's all part of the process.

No wonder you're happy with the running of the club if you really believe that.

This obsession with the £35m from Carroll is bordering on the mental for me.

The Carroll sale was a massive blow to the team and is still hard to accept, we did it because the deal was too good to turn down and the player fancied a shot at a bigger club. It's pointless to latch onto that one quote where Pardew said it would all be invested into the team. He was just responding to a question the best way he could in difficult circumstances, and he probably had no idea how much he would end up spending.

To judge our transfers solely on whether we spend the magic figure of £35m is pointless IMO. As far as I can see we've made some good moves in the market so far, and are looking to make more. There might be a big departure (Enrqiue) but circumstances make that inevitable anyway.

The club is running a regular loss, and there isn't a ring-fenced pot for transfer money. The club will spend what it thinks it can afford and when it can get the right deals. Let's judge that on it's own and stop bleating on about this magical £35m.

Ultimately we've had six months to decide what to do with at least £30m of allegedly unexpected income, with the benefit of what some seem to say is the world's best scout and a manager who apparently has the full backing of his manager and the club owner.

And yet here we are, with people happy to 'hope it allows us the ability to react to opportunities, if there are any'. :lol:

If we're so hard up that we needed to sell our best striker and most promising talent for big money just to pay wages and to afford to bring in couple of free transfers, it makes you wonder if they'd fully intended on flogging Carroll all along. And if that is the case, who's next out of the door?

you'll agree that at least some of it will have gone on signing oin fees,agents and wages and rightly so ?

will you agree that the club has other avenues of making money other than selling players? and some of it should go towards the same things? at what point do we stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and realise they're taking the p*ss?

my view is that i'll think they are taking the piss when they start taking money out of the club. also i'm fairly sure most of the clubs revenue comes from other sources than player sales.

Because throwing large amounts of money at players who don't want to come has worked so well in the past.  Oh wait...

Come on, that's obviously not what I meant either.

I mean we can't make NUFC a Champions League club right now in order to appeal to those players who want that, so we have to accept some might turn us down.

Clearly in the future we can make the club more successful and appealing, didn't think I would need to explain that TBH.

Guest firetotheworks

Because throwing large amounts of money at players who don't want to come has worked so well in the past.  Oh wait...

What a stupid conclusion to jump to, as if there's no happy medium.

I mean we can't make NUFC a Champions League club right now in order to appeal to those players who want that, so we have to accept some might turn us down.

Clearly in the future we can make the club more successful and appealing, didn't think I would need to explain that TBH.

So now top players only go to Champions League clubs? Did Andy Carroll? Did Luis Suarez? Did Luka Modric? Did Darren Bent?

This defeatist attitude is embarrassing. If you pay good money, good players will come, and that's how you improve. Simple as that. We have the fanbase to be in amongst the best teams in the country and I for one will never accept less than that.

You're a good bloke Ian but you talk in contradictions. You claim we can't compete with the clubs at the top because they spend loads of money but you say we shouldn't spend money because that's not the way to improve the team. ???

Surely even you can see that the current management of the club is not going to get us back into the top six?

Just listened to the interview in it's entirety, was neither depressed nor jubilant after it. If Pardew is to be beleived then we will deffo be buying another striker and another "attacker".

Hope Joey stays after hearing what he said about him wanting more from the team and worrying about if we were to get better and to compete with his effort... Nice insight into a player's mentality.

Also like the stuff about Ba being a very positive person and wanting to give his all.

So now top players only go to Champions League clubs? Did Andy Carroll? Did Luis Suarez? Did Luka Modric? Did Darren Bent?

This defeatist attitude is embarrassing. If you pay good money, good players will come, and that's how you improve. Simple as that.

You're a good bloke Ian but you talk in contradictions. You claim we can't compete with the clubs at the top because they spend loads of money but you say we shouldn't spend money because that's not the way to improve the team. ???

Surely even you can see that the current management of the club is not going to get us back into the top six?

where's the money to come from if a large chunk has been eaten up by the players we've brought in ? we have piad good money to the players we've brought in.

Guest dazzanufc1892

This defeatist attitude is embarrassing. If you pay good money, good players will come, and that's how you improve. Simple as that. We have the fanbase to be in amongst the best teams in the country and I for one will never accept less than that.

this current management, but for an awful WBA defeat would have had us top 10. IF, they find more tiote's, ben arfa's and enriques, then they will have us top 6.

He's definitely very shy with facts about the 35m, lot's of yadda yadda about he will make sure it's reinvested but he doesn't exactly spread confidence.

From that interview I would put my hand in the coals and say we will get a 5-8M striker and a couple of 1-3M players (LB and other). jUST MY INTERPRETATION!!

I don't believe that two free transfers is a large chunk madras, I will simply not accept that. What were we going to spend if we'd not sold Carroll in your eyes? Yet another sale of top players?

You must have been awfully depressed over the last 50 years then..