Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Although the Simpson injury did allow us to see on Saturday that Anita is actually a very handy attacking full back.

I think it did more to highlight how utterly woeful Simpson is.

Seeing someone play who isn't terrified of the ball and can do something other than wherever he is on the pitch just turns round to face the goal and pass it back to Steven Taylor is, frankly, a godsend.

I can't even remember a time we had good squad depth in defence.

Hell even under SBR our most regular starting centre backs were what Dabizas, Bramble and O'Brien?

And the Caldwell brothers. Our defence individually was horrific under Bobby but as a unit they did ok.

Aaron Hughes did a good job covering the middle when we were short.  Never should have been sold in my opinion great squad player similar to what Perch is for us now.

I can't even remember a time we had good squad depth in defence.

Hell even under SBR our most regular starting centre backs were what Dabizas, Bramble and O'Brien?

And the Caldwell brothers. Our defence individually was horrific under Bobby but as a unit they did ok.

Aaron Hughes did a good job covering the middle when we were short.  Never should have been sold in my opinion great squad player similar to what Perch is for us now.

Comparing him to Perch is a massive slight on Aaron Hughes.

Guest neesy111

We've taken numerous risks on a thin squad for years now. Amazed it's taken this long to bite us in the arse.

In a perverse way, the club is getting precisely what it deserves

Absolutely spot on, both of you.

Not to worry chaps the balance sheet looks good.

Aye. Would be interesting to hear from the "alright on the night" gang about all these injuries.

:lol:

Honestly man, we all know the news will be true.

If there's a story going round about bad NUFC news, you can bet your last penny it will be spot on.

Hamstrings are normally just 4 weeks. Fingers crossed.

No point whinging about it, just got to go with what we've got. Taylor and Williamson for 4 or 5 games and Coloccini back for mid-October (ish).

Wonder if lessons will be learnt.  Absolutely no excuse for it when we've supposedly got money to spend, we needed a centre half in January, next transfer comes around and we're still fannying about.  Suspect we won't get away with the striker thing either.  Also issues with Danny fucking Simpson being allowed to become complacent.

Even if we're not that flash then other options should have been acquired on the cheap or on loan.  Could have had Clyne and Marriapa for relative pennies and I'm sure we could have had a backup forward for not much outlay.  We don't always need to sign the perfect player for a few million below market value, not if it leaves us short.

Don't think there's any chance of lessons being learnt if we're being brutally honest.

Ashley has found, in his eyes, a legitimate business model and like fuck is he going to change it. His plan was always to make the club self-sufficient and sustainable and to his credit, he is pretty much doing that but a business model can only go so far. He's been very stubborn about it all, after all, times change and there does come a point when you just have to adapt your model so that it suits the current climate.

Don't get me wrong btw, I do appreciate the fact that we won't pay over the odds for a player and that in itself is a good policy to have but it's just rather annoying that the business side of things have again got in the way of the footballing perspective. Surely it's not rocket science to see that success on the pitch is dependent on the squad being full of capable players and that in turn leads to a more profitable business?

I may have just spouted a load of bollocks above but that is my view of things.