Coloccini

Ginola

Robert

Lee

Cabaye

Shearer

Beardsley

Venners over Debuchy/Beye?

I always thought Venison was better at CB during his latter playing days.

Guest neesy111

Would have Carroll alongside Shearer. Controversial but in a Newcastle shirt, he was a colossal.

A colossal 14 premier league goals? We've had about 5 strikers that have been better than him.

Shearer, Cole, Ferdinand, Ba, Beardsley, Bellamy for me were better.

I wouldn't have Cabaye in my team personally  :frantic:

If we're talking about ability, I'd have Hamann & Cabaye. Lee gets in because he was class over a period of time plus he adapted his game towards the end under Sir Bobby, but as stand alone players and as a potential pairing, f***ing hell they'd have been something.

I wouldn't have Cabaye in my team personally  :frantic:

If we're talking about ability, I'd have Hamann & Cabaye. Lee gets in because he was class over a period of time plus he adapted his game towards the end under Sir Bobby, but as stand alone players and as a potential pairing, f***ing hell they'd have been something.

In their primes, Lee and Cabaye would've offered a lot more going fee than Hamman with either IMHO.

Guest Howaythetoon

Colo goes down as the best CB overall I've seen for us due to his consistency etc. Individually, however, Woodgate was better. He was a colossus when fit, and also the ideal partner for whoever played alongside him.

Albert was an amazing footballer, but he could defend and was a bit of a hard man when he wanted to be. He sums up that era better than most. He would put in a crunching tackle then dribble his way into midfield before threading a ball through. That goal against Man Utd as well... From a CB? Fucking unreal.

Robert and Ginola? Robert is your Colo to Ginola who is your Woodgate. Ginola clearly the better individual, but overall Robert gave us more, did more for us and was generally more consistent in terms of end product, effectiveness etc.

Another good defender for us, who was often lambasted, was Darren Peacock, a solid all-rounder who would walk into our side today, easily.

Back to Woodgate, he made defending look so easy, he could handle any type of forward. He was immense against Drogba at SJP and Hasselbaink at home again on his debut IIRC. Injuries and his lifestyle and attitude to the game and his own career means he will always be considered a wasted talent, but for a breif spell here at United I doubt we will ever see better.

Would be tempted by Debuchy or Beye right back, we haven't really been blessed there the last 20-odd years.  Enrique left back too.

Agree on both counts. The main full backs in KK's sides (Beresford, Hottinger, Barton etc etc) wouldn't touch the modern day full back imho and, whilst Bernard was immense for that 18 month period, I've not seen a better LB than Enrique.

Really?  I might be looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I can't recall anything in the Ginola / Robert / Gillespie's remit being to protect their respective full backs, where the past few years protecting the full back seems to be one of our wingers top one tasks.

Stepping away from the debate a minute, just admiring the brilliance but everyone should watch Sewelly's youtube video Laurent Robert - All 32 goals for Newcastle.

So many utterly ridiculous goals that we would be arguing should be goal of the season, he could fucking hammer a ball with so much accuracy from all sorts of distances and angles!

Just a shame he managed to omit Robert's incredible solo effort against West Ham.

Guest neesy111

Stepping away from the debate a minute, just admiring the brilliance but everyone should watch Sewelly's youtube video Laurent Robert - All 32 goals for Newcastle.

So many utterly ridiculous goals that we would be arguing should be goal of the season, he could fucking hammer a ball with so much accuracy from all sorts of distances and angles!

Just a shame he managed to omit Robert's incredible solo effort against West Ham.

The 1 where he hit the post and got the rebound?

Ahead of who? I'd have him behind Ferdinand & Cole too...and I loved Bellamy.

I'd always try and make room for Bellamy. He was great for us.

I'd try a front six of  -

........Shearer

...Bellamy.....Beardsley

Lee.....Speed.... Barton

Torn between Dyer's pace and Barton's skill though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hamann  for us was like a poor mam's Rob Lee when in his pomp, good of course, but nowhere near as good as Lee himself. For me it goes Lee------> Cabaye--->Speed--->Hamann. Batty quickly follows, mind all are different types of player.

speaking of former players, despite being less talented than Ginola and Robert I'd probably select Sellars ahead of them in my all-time Toon XI!

The 1 where he hit the post and got the rebound?

:thup:

Hamann  for us was like a poor mam's Rob Lee when in his pomp, good of course, but nowhere near as good as Lee himself. For me it goes Lee------> Cabaye--->Speed--->Hamann. Batty quickly follows, mind all are different types of player.

speaking of former players, despite being less talented than Ginola and Robert I'd probably select Sellars ahead of them in my all-time Toon XI!

What a player Scott Sellars was btw. Great cross on him.

Would have Carroll alongside Shearer. Controversial but in a Newcastle shirt, he was a colossal.

A colossal 14 premier league goals? We've had about 5 strikers that have been better than him.

Shearer, Cole, Ferdinand, Ba, Beardsley, Bellamy for me were better.

Yup agreed. Could probably include cunt mcfuck too.