Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Ba's overhead came as a result of his cross, ba's turn and shot from 5 yards a defender blocked was from an obertan pass.

He drilled one along the floor across goal that was dangerous, behind Ba/Best but the kind Gosling would've been onto all day long just no one else attacked the area.

Add the fks/corners into that & first half he was solid. He could just clearly do more with his natural attributes.

Completely agree, most of our chances came through Obertan so I don't understand how he was apparently shit.

The ball he put across the box was clever, there were a few defenders and the keeper where Ba and Best were running too, they shouldn't have both been making the same run, one of them should have held back giving Obertan another option then it would have been a tap in. Also as you say, someone like Gosling would have been occupying the area the ball rolled across, the midfield should have been supporting the attack better. At least one of Cabaye, Tiote or Jonas should have been in the box. If Obertan had tried to thread it through to Best or Ba it would have hit a defender/been claimed by the keeper and it would have been "FUCK SAKE OBERTAN, ANOTHER CHANCE WASTED!".

Ba's overhead came as a result of his cross, ba's turn and shot from 5 yards a defender blocked was from an obertan pass.

He drilled one along the floor across goal that was dangerous, behind Ba/Best but the kind Gosling would've been onto all day long just no one else attacked the area.

Add the fks/corners into that & first half he was solid. He could just clearly do more with his natural attributes.

Completely agree, most of our chances came through Obertan so I don't understand how he was apparently s***.

The ball he put across the box was clever, there were a few defenders and the keeper where Ba and Best were running too, they shouldn't have both been making the same run, one of them should have held back giving Obertan another option then it would have been a tap in. Also as you say, someone like Gosling would have been occupying the area the ball rolled across, the midfield should have been supporting the attack better. At least one of Cabaye, Tiote or Jonas should have been in the box. If Obertan had tried to thread it through to Best or Ba it would have hit a defender/been claimed by the keeper and it would have been "f*** SAKE OBERTAN, ANOTHER CHANCE WASTED!".

When you've been sat in the fucking freezing cold for two hours, you can't feel your toes and you're sat for the best part of half of an hour watching Obertan fuck about with the ball, squaring up to his man for no apparent reason and stopping and standing on the ball every time there's a bit of space infront of him, you'd understand why people think Obertan was shit :laugh:

:lol:

Ok. MOTD and where I watched it before must have used some special effects to make out he was involved in pretty much every chance we had. If I was at the game I would have realised none of that actually happened.

Ok. MOTD and where I watched it before must have used some special effects to make out he was involved in pretty much every chance we had. If I was at the game I would have realised none of that actually happened.

It's a game of opinions. He was toilet.

Highlights can be deceiving. It missed out the bits inbetween where he was shit scared of space, would choose to walk into his man rather than into space and then would just lightly jog back and watch Simpson cover the right defence by himself.

I did see the whole game, he is a frustrating player, always has been but we could have scored a few times from his involvement in attack. If one of those had gone in opinion would have been different to his performance yesterday/today.

He certainly wasn't shit but unless our forwards finish off one of his chances or he scores himself its obvious he is going to be deemed shit whatever else happens.

Scapegoat.

He did some positive running but there's as much negative impact in him being in possession as there is positive because he slows attacks down so much that defences are set by the time he's danced around the ball. He could put equally threatening crosses in by taking one touch and knocking it into the box/into the space between defence and keeper as soon as he gets the ball.

If you're gonna slow the attack down your delivery's gotta be good,his isn't. He should just cross early because then at least we'd have a chance of catching defenders out of position.

He did some positive running but there's as much negative impact in him being in possession as there is positive because he slows attacks down so much that defences are set by the time he's danced around the ball. He could put equally threatening crosses in by taking one touch and knocking it into the box/into the space between defence and keeper as soon as he gets the ball.

He definitely does need to learn when to release the ball earlier and a few occasions yesterday I was thinking "why don't our coaching staff see this and tell him!?". It is frustrating seeing players making the same fundamental mistakes and not learning from them for whatever reason.

If he actually ran with the ball on one of the 10 or so occasions that he had opportunity to, if he was more effective with his passing and movement as opposed to standing on the ball, squaring up to his man and then losing the ball, and if he actually tracked back and worked defensively like Jonas does as opposed to just jogging and standing in his defensive position whilst leaving Simpson completely exposed, then I wouldn't be calling him 'shit'.

I'm not using him as a scapegoat, I'm not being biased because I don't like him and I'm not missing out the decent things he did. I'm having an opinion on his ability and using solid evidence to back that opinion up. Noone can tell me that what I've described above is an effective way of playing.

I did see the whole game, he is a frustrating player, always has been but we could have scored a few times from his involvement in attack. If one of those had gone in opinion would have been different to his performance yesterday/today.

He certainly wasn't s*** but unless our forwards finish off one of his chances or he scores himself its obvious he is going to be deemed s*** whatever else happens.

Scapegoat.

Well said. Though he certainly does need to start producing more. Having an end product so to speak.

In the first half everything we did came down his wing. I don't think Jonas even got out of our half. His final ball and running at people weaknesses have been said enough in this thread for the past 3 months.

He's a squad player who just happens to have no competition for his place because the first team option is a complete and utter crock.

In the first half everything we did came down his wing. I don't think Jonas even got out of our half. His final ball and running at people weaknesses have been said enough in this thread for the past 3 months.

He's a squad player who just happens to have no competition for his place because the first team option is a complete and utter crock.

Agree with this too, although I am not sure Marveaux is his competition, we just didn't replace Barton.

He certainly wasn't s*** but unless our forwards finish off one of his chances or he scores himself its obvious he is going to be deemed s*** whatever else happens.

Scapegoat.

Not at all. People were banging on more about Pardew and his weird decisions. Lack of changes etc. Calling Obertan s*** is just the norm, as he is exactly that. Wasn't crap yesterday, but he was doing his normal running around like a headless chicken for bigger parts, and not doing too much constructive with the ball.

Guest michaelfoster

He's got pace to burn but never when he has the chance does he push the ball forward and run and try and beat his man for pace.

He was gash yesterday again.

If Obertan was gash yesterday then Jonas was abysmal

He certainly wasn't shit but unless our forwards finish off one of his chances or he scores himself its obvious he is going to be deemed shit whatever else happens.

Scapegoat.

See that's the problem. Jonas doesn't score goals from the left side, and now it looks like we've added another winger on the right who won't be hitting the net much. With Cabaye looking like he'll only grab the odd one here and there, there's a lot of pressure on the forwards to get the goals. Ba is on fire so it hasn't been a problem to this point but we need other players to chip in as well.