Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

We wasted so much of the ball by constantly giving it to him in the first half, he just fucks about with it and then gives it away, enough is enough now.

I could cope with him playing if he did what Jonas does and runs at the fullback buying a freekick but its like he is terrified of being tackled.

What are all the people seeing who think this bloke had a good game? He was very involved in the first half hour, yes, and he did a lot of running, but what did all his involvement and running result in? Did he create anything of note? Did he put any dangerous crosses in? Did his pace allow us to create a situation where we were counter attacking with people moving in on goal? Did he get behind their defense and get a shot in, or lay it on a plate for the strikers? Did he f***! He just runs with the ball, then waits for his opponent to catch up, then showboats a little, puts his head down and ultimately gives the ball away. He is the ultimate one trick pony, and it isn't even a useful trick. Needs to be replaced asap.

put 2/3 decent crosses in first half but nobody was in the box

:undecided:

He did put one or two crosses in. Problems are 1) he just shuts his eyes when he crosses, as the ball just goes anywhere and isn't aimed at any of our players in particular and 2) he fannies around so much before finally putting the cross in that the strikers are now completely immobile and the defenders have had plenty of time to get into their positions marking them. A big part of crossing is doing it early and getting the better of an unorganised defense. It is what makes pace so useful normally. So aye, he did put in a cross of two, but there was nothing decent about them iyam..

Thought it was one of his better performances for us, and I also thought he was better than Jonas today, but neither of those things are saying much.

He did nothing in the second half that I can remember.

You're absolutely right, but that doesn't really change what I said.

i'm astonished people thought he had a good game. said at half time that he started off well but even in that opening period he didn't create anything other than a decent square sadly aimed behind Ba and Best. in that case it was a nice idea that lacked a bit of finesse. went downhill sharply after that, and he also had 2 or 3 laughable moments in the first half, wasting the good positions he found himself in, and making an airkicking mess of ba's rebound. once swansea wised up to his pace and got their winger to track back he was hopeless and ended up uselessly faffing about on the ball as he no longer had space to run in behind.

honestly can't remember him doing anything at all in the 2nd half, other than that one moment that sums him up: did a nice shimmy to make half a yard for a shot, and sliced it 8 feet wide. even had it been on target, it was hit so weakly the keeper would've gathered it up with his eyes shut. 20 minutes of promise, 60 minutes of crap. his usual ratio.

he really should've been taken off at around the hour mark - the way the game had shaped up was us having a lot of possession and swansea defending stoutly. Obertan's only really got use when the game is stretched and there's plenty of space to run into, pretty much the opposite of how today panned out (other than those couple of mins after Best went off and we were on the backfoot). in that situation you want someone who is tricky, can beat or man or find a clever throughball. pity we had no one like that on the bench...

Home crowd will turn on him within the month, he'll be getting the Kevin Sheedy treatment.

At least he could cross a ball.

He could, but by the time he signed for us, he needed a fucking zimmer to get to the byline.

I used to stand in the Milburn paddocks back then and the shit he would get was unreal. Always had a banter mind in fairness to him.

Can't imagine Lightbulb Heed responding kindly to such warm greetings as 'geet ya shoulder down you fucking skinny cunt' or 'Sheedy ya that fucking slur me fucking granda could outrun ya', especially when fans were within 10 yards of the players, as they were back then.

Home crowd will turn on him within the month, he'll be getting the Kevin Sheedy treatment.

He could, but by the time he signed for us, he needed a fucking zimmer to get to the byline.

I used to stand in the Milburn paddocks back then and the shit he would get was unreal. Always had a banter mind in fairness to him.

Can't imagine Lightbulb Heed responding kindly to such warm greetings as 'geet ya shoulder down you fucking skinny cunt' or 'Sheedy ya that fucking slur me fucking granda could outrun ya', especially when fans were within 10 yards of the players, as they were back then.

Class that like. If ever there was proof you just can't win when you're a player. :lol:

Class that like. If ever there was proof you just can't win when you're a player. :lol:

He used to get a dogs abuse............twas funny as owt when he started having a pop back, really good craic.

Obertan is fookin rubbish and does not contribute one thing too our overall play ,he had many chances too cross but was awful on all of them .Its all right trying but against lowly Swansea and failing goodnight now . :tickedoff:

He could do with practising crossing with his left foot. Defenders show him inside a lot, safe in the knowledge that he's very one-footed and won't attempt a cross or shot. If his only trick is getting to the by-line on the outside, he's too easy to stop.

However, yesterday he looked a bit more positive than I'd previously seen him, at least in the first half.

As Pilko said elsewhere,arguably had his best game yesterday and was utterly ineffective. Our lack of creativity on the wings is worrying,time after time we win possession,few neat passes in the middle,Cabaye sprays it out wide to Jonas or Obertan and that's that,start again.

Ba's overhead came as a result of his cross, ba's turn and shot from 5 yards a defender blocked was from an obertan pass.

He drilled one along the floor across goal that was dangerous, behind Ba/Best but the kind Gosling would've been onto all day long just no one else attacked the area.

Add the fks/corners into that & first half he was solid. He could just clearly do more with his natural attributes.