Erik Pieters

Dave

Guest bimpy474

French was compulsory for us like, and it was completely f***ing useless.

I know it's seen as 'ignorant' like, but there is very little reason for English kids to learn any other single language (emphasis on single).

there's very little reason for kids to learn algebra, trigonometry or geography, but they do....you know why ? because it teaches them how to learn and different ways to use their brains. it's like asking why a footballer should do some weight training instead of just playing football all the time. i say this as someone who ditched french when 13.

:snod:

i'd like to go on that the powers that be want to see it that languages etc are pointless and just want to turn out whatever the business world wants ie factory fodder for the most part. the point of education is to educate for life not purelty to provide fodder to feed the economy.

More and more I'm teaching kids to pass exams rather than teaching the actual subject. It's what we're all judged on since the government introduced league tables and has become the be-all and end-all.

I'm sure Erik Peters would agree. :lol:

Although this Government is getting a lot of stick, i like their approach to Schools so far, getting rid of tables would be the first thing i would do, not sure their doing that but i like what i've seen so far.

their approach to schools ? have you seen the f***ing mess they are doing with education......heres something to think of, student fees, earlier leaving age coupled with vocational collages, education more by rote as described by midds,.

No no no, dont get me started on student fees, students should pay, when i was talking about education i was refering to higher education, wait and see what happens with education, it cant be any worse than the mess the last lot left us with, speaking about younger education there like.

Students need a kick up the arse and have had it to easy for too long, i know that wont be popular but i couldn't careless, you want to learn into your mid twenties then you pay for it, why should i ?, when i say i like this Governments approach, i mean in terms of giving power back to teachers, the rest is wait and see but like i said, it was one big feck up for the last ten years.

and we are left with being f***ed by both systems as they play political games. for christ's sake man, here i am a 44 yr old man who can't use capital letters, that's how long the education system has been shafted.

Teaching unions dont help like, as they hate change, see this for myself in the hospital i work, unions are a massive pain in the arse, they do good things but striking, jesus wept, the only thing a strike does is lose jobs, yet the blokes at the top who call for strikes wont lose theirs, or their mental wages.

We've just been balloted again for more strikes in November btw. All unions out this time though rather than just the 2 last time.

Same at my hospital, the union rep is a great bloke but i told him to sling his hook when he wanted me to go on strike and the reasons why.

My reason are simple.

My private sector job : 18 days holiday, 2 weeks sick pay at 80%, no pension.

My public sector job  : 33 days holiday, 6 months sick pay, full pension.

Striking for being asked to pay more for a pension, shameful really, obviously its just my opinion.

why shameful ?

Did they mention those little facts that are provided and paid for by the governement, when they say they are under attack ?

I'm anti striking so i'm biased but seeing things from the inside, its opened my eyes to the p*ss taking that is going on, they have been awashed with money and now dont like it when they are being asked to bring value for that money, thats why i think its shameful.

theye aren't paid by the government, the workers pay their share and like most employers the employer pays their share, doesw anyone have a problem with that ?

Those offers aren't from the unions, they are Government supplemented deals with suppliers, the vouchers shops redeem from the Governement, like i say the unions arent telling you the whole truth about it all.

Guest bimpy474

I know it's seen as 'ignorant' like, but there is very little reason for English kids to learn any other single language (emphasis on single).

there's very little reason for kids to learn algebra, trigonometry or geography, but they do....you know why ? because it teaches them how to learn and different ways to use their brains. it's like asking why a footballer should do some weight training instead of just playing football all the time. i say this as someone who ditched french when 13.

i'd like to go on that the powers that be want to see it that languages etc are pointless and just want to turn out whatever the business world wants ie factory fodder for the most part. the point of education is to educate for life not purelty to provide fodder to feed the economy.

More and more I'm teaching kids to pass exams rather than teaching the actual subject. It's what we're all judged on since the government introduced league tables and has become the be-all and end-all.

Although this Government is getting a lot of stick, i like their approach to Schools so far, getting rid of tables would be the first thing i would do, not sure their doing that but i like what i've seen so far.

their approach to schools ? have you seen the f***ing mess they are doing with education......heres something to think of, student fees, earlier leaving age coupled with vocational collages, education more by rote as described by midds,.

No no no, dont get me started on student fees, students should pay, when i was talking about education i was refering to higher education, wait and see what happens with education, it cant be any worse than the mess the last lot left us with, speaking about younger education there like.

Students need a kick up the arse and have had it to easy for too long, i know that wont be popular but i couldn't careless, you want to learn into your mid twenties then you pay for it, why should i ?, when i say i like this Governments approach, i mean in terms of giving power back to teachers, the rest is wait and see but like i said, it was one big feck up for the last ten years.

and we are left with being f***ed by both systems as they play political games. for christ's sake man, here i am a 44 yr old man who can't use capital letters, that's how long the education system has been shafted.

Teaching unions dont help like, as they hate change, see this for myself in the hospital i work, unions are a massive pain in the arse, they do good things but striking, jesus wept, the only thing a strike does is lose jobs, yet the blokes at the top who call for strikes wont lose theirs, or their mental wages.

We've just been balloted again for more strikes in November btw. All unions out this time though rather than just the 2 last time.

30th isn't it ? the public sector unions are trying to get as many out as possible, can't blame them.

Really, do the unions tell you about all the perks us public sector workers get ?

Reduced heating/electric bills, reduced car/house/life insurance, money off vouchers for all types of shops, great deals for buying new cars/motorbikes/bikes, vouchers for restuarants.

Nothing is as straight forward as you think, you may think the Government is wrong but the lies union come out with, or should i say not the whole truth is mind boggling.

Never heard about any of that s**** tbh. And I'd be on that like a shot.

Tell what Midds, i could send you every e-mail (internal work e-mails) with offers i get in the next say two weeks so you can see what i mean, these apply to NHS staff, but i know its the same for civil servants, well where my mate works anyway.

what union is that from, the wife is in unison and she occasionaly gets the chance of cheap tickets at the theatre royal (for plays that no f***er else wants tpo go and see)

Its not from the unions, but only available to NHS staff, so when the unions say we are getting a bad deal, they leave these offers out of the conversation, my point is its not a bad as they are saying, and far from it.

I'm being asked to pay more, work longer and for a worse pension when I retire. Ignore the numbers involved - that's why we're striking, because it's not fair.

The average public sector pension is £8000 a year. Hardly gold-plated is it?

For me to get that pension when i worked in the private sector i would have had to pay 5 times what you do for yours, estimate but fairly accurate from what i remember.

So i was paying indirectly for yours and couldn't afford my own, see why i think a strike is wrong.

I dont think your wrong as its your situation and you judge it from you point of view, but i've seen it from both sides, its too scewed towards the public sector.

I'm being asked to pay more, work longer and for a worse pension when I retire. Ignore the numbers involved - that's why we're striking, because it's not fair.

For me to get that pension when i worked in the private sector i would have had to pay 5 times what you do for yours, estimate but fairly accurate from what i remember.

So i was paying indirectly for yours and couldn't afford my own, see why i think a strike is wrong.

I dont think your wrong as its your situation and you judge it from you point of view, but i've seen it from both sides, its too scewed towards the public sector.

this will sound awful but in order to compare you'd have to divulge your financial details, how much paid, pension paid etc

30th isn't it ? the public sector unions are trying to get as many out as possible, can't blame them.

Really, do the unions tell you about all the perks us public sector workers get ?

Reduced heating/electric bills, reduced car/house/life insurance, money off vouchers for all types of shops, great deals for buying new cars/motorbikes/bikes, vouchers for restuarants.

Nothing is as straight forward as you think, you may think the Government is wrong but the lies union come out with, or should i say not the whole truth is mind boggling.

Tell what Midds, i could send you every e-mail (internal work e-mails) with offers i get in the next say two weeks so you can see what i mean, these apply to NHS staff, but i know its the same for civil servants, well where my mate works anyway.

what union is that from, the wife is in unison and she occasionaly gets the chance of cheap tickets at the theatre royal (for plays that no f***er else wants tpo go and see)

Its not from the unions, but only available to NHS staff, so when the unions say we are getting a bad deal, they leave these offers out of the conversation, my point is its not a bad as they are saying, and far from it.

so stop saying those offers are available to everyone in the public sector as it appears to be a lie as it doesn't apply to ther education workers.

As I've said - just read that first sentence again and see if it's fair. Work longer, pay more and get less when I retire. My current deductions for NI, tax & pension are about £950 a month.

I f***ing hate it when I think I'm in the Erik Pieters thread and I've somehow clicked onto chat and found myself in the Politics thread, f***ing tool I am :lol:

Sorry we have hijacked it a bit aint we :D

People will be in for a surprise in the morning ;D

Guest bimpy474

this will sound awful but in order to compare you'd have to divulge your financial details, how much paid, pension paid etc

Pm me with an e-mail address and i can send one of the offers i get, i have one on my external e-mail account, you can see for yourself.

Pension wise, i think i was paying £80 a month to get a pension worth, £3000 a year (this was ten years ago so its nowhere near that figure for £80 a month now).

Now for my NHS pension i pay £43.52 a month to get a pension of just under £3,500 with a £12,000 lump sum when i retire.

See the maths and why i have no sympathy for strikes.

Guest bimpy474

so stop saying those offers are available to everyone in the public sector as it appears to be a lie as it doesn't apply to ther education workers.

These offers have to go through the unions for approval though, i know for sure its the NHS and civil servants (whatever jobs they are), no idea about teaching though so sorry for that.

Guest bimpy474

Last payslip deductions:- Tax=540, NI=307, Pension=228.

Don't get any benefits from doing the job as regards offers and s***.

You do, for a start you get key worker preference on mortgages.

my wife doesnt

Nope.

Pm me with an e-mail address and i can send one of the offers i get, i have one on my external e-mail account, you can see for yourself.

Pension wise, i think i was paying £80 a month to get a pension worth, £3000 a year (this was ten years ago so its nowhere near that figure for £80 a month now).

Now for my NHS pension i pay £43.52 a month to get a pension of just under £3,500 with a £12,000 lump sum when i retire.

so you are saying in the NHS there are lots of deals and therefore there are for all public sector workers ?

Guest bimpy474

What is your wage for that tax like, i'm only paying £50, mind you i'm only on £10440, 25 hours while i pick the kids up from school, £15666 when i back full time and pay roughly £80 then.

Guest bimpy474

Nope.

You do mate, i can point you in the right direction if you need it.

Nope.

this'll be interesting.

What is your wage for that tax like, i'm only paying £50, mind you i'm only on £10440, 25 hours while i pick the kids up from school, £15666 when i back full time and pay roughly £80 then.

Roughly £40k. (bit personal like)

The strike has nothing to do with the numbers though. Ignore the wage, it's the fact that I'm being asked to pay more, for longer for less when I retire. That's why I'm striking. The actual numbers don't come into it. It's not right. 

Nope.

Fire away.

Guest bimpy474

so you are saying in the NHS there are lots of deals and therefore there are for all public sector workers ?

No not quite but as there are over a million in the NHS alone and gods knows how many in the civil service, you can see its quite nice deal to get.

And as i was saying to Midds, if you are a key worker, teacher/NHS/police and more you get preference for mortgages, shared ownership deals too.

Guest bimpy474

Nope.

Fire away.

Where you live mate so i can give the right link.

Guest bimpy474

Nope.

this'll be interesting.

Not really, its how i bought my house.

No not quite but as there are over a million in the NHS alone and gods knows how many in the civil service, you can see its quite nice deal to get.

And as i was saying to Midds, if you are a key worker, teacher/NHS/police and more you get preference for mortgages, shared ownership deals too.

My mortgage started in 1998. No mention of this 'key worker' business. 

Nope.

this'll be interesting.

Not really, its how i bought my house.

apparently from help available to nhs staff that isn't avauilable to all public sector staff.

Nope.

Fire away.

Where you live mate so i can give the right link.

:hmm: [/suspicious]