Erik Pieters

Dave

just checked and with his birth place being st gallen he's more likely to speak german (i think it's in the german speaking bit, probably wrong )

Indeed it is.

my geography is f***ed. i thought st gallen was quite central but up that way if you know what i mean but it's way to the north east of where i thought it was.

Thing is in most countries the natives will speaking multiple languages,  we are an absolute disgrace as a nation for not speaking more, tbf English is apparently the easiest to learn, but still were a shambles when it comes to learning and teaching another language.

i always understood it (english) was a difficuilt language to learn but ther most necessary if you want to get anywhere.

Thing for is though, seeing as we are an Island, to get to Europe you go through France or Belguim as a rule(when not flying), yet French isn't compulsory is our schools, i think it should be imo like.

It was when I was at school. All the kids should be learning Mandarin anyway.

Guest bimpy474

just checked and with his birth place being st gallen he's more likely to speak german (i think it's in the german speaking bit, probably wrong )

Indeed it is.

my geography is f***ed. i thought st gallen was quite central but up that way if you know what i mean but it's way to the north east of where i thought it was.

Thing is in most countries the natives will speaking multiple languages,  we are an absolute disgrace as a nation for not speaking more, tbf English is apparently the easiest to learn, but still were a shambles when it comes to learning and teaching another language.

i always understood it (english) was a difficuilt language to learn but ther most necessary if you want to get anywhere.

This French lass once described English as one of the easiest languages to learn the basics/enough to get by, but incredibly difficult to learn well because of all the irregular verbs/exceptions to rules etc.  Probably explains why so many of the natives don't bother leaning the language proper like!

Really, that makes sense actually, i can get by with French but now i'm learning properly, something i should have done years ago, as soon as i'm able i'm off to holiday in the South of France, hopefully fluent and smug with it i dont doubt :D

Guest bimpy474

Indeed it is.

Thing for is though, seeing as we are an Island, to get to Europe you go through France or Belguim as a rule(when not flying), yet French isn't compulsory is our schools, i think it should be imo like.

Mandarin ? where you at mate ?

Cheap - check

Injured - check

Plays in mutiple positions so we dont need extra players - check

Speaks French - check....ish

Sign him up.

that could be barnetta aswell. not 100% about the speaking french bit though.

Barnetta is Swiss, therefore he will speak Frenchie, its the main language in Switzerland, sign him up too :D

Actually depends which part of Switzerland he's from. Might speak German.

I've been a dozen or so times and its always been french, a bit of German, which i found strange as i thought it would be mainly German, just never heard much of it to be honest like, never heard any Italian, has a sprinkling of swiss which is the wierdiest stuff i've ever heard, and i've heard Welsh :D.

Fair bit of English mind, which was surprising.

Where did you go in Switzerland? All the Swiss people I've met all spoke German (more than likely from the German speaking regions).

I used to do regular trips to Switzerland, France, Germany and Austria, only once to Belguim which struck me as odd, i was an overseas removals driver, 3 different drops/pick ups, two weeks away at a time, i used to love it for the money but it was frankly boring on your own.

In Switzerland i went to Zurich 3 or 4 times i think, always went through Basel, very French there, we had a contract with a Danish bank to move their executives, i went to a town that i cant remember the name of, that was right on Lake Brienz i went 4 times in three months, its most beautiful place i've ever seen, its like a postcard, moved a fair few to Luxembourg as well, now thats another lovely place, only ever went to Kopstal there but its was so pretty too, on the edge of the Ardennes, gorgeous.

Tell what i remember most about Switzerland, tunnels, drive few miles, then a tunnel, drive a bit more another tunnel.

Nice :thup:

Indeed it is.

NE3 but the way the world is going it wouldn't do any harm.

Guest bimpy474

Cheap - check

Injured - check

Plays in mutiple positions so we dont need extra players - check

Speaks French - check....ish

Sign him up.

that could be barnetta aswell. not 100% about the speaking french bit though.

Barnetta is Swiss, therefore he will speak Frenchie, its the main language in Switzerland, sign him up too :D

Actually depends which part of Switzerland he's from. Might speak German.

I've been a dozen or so times and its always been french, a bit of German, which i found strange as i thought it would be mainly German, just never heard much of it to be honest like, never heard any Italian, has a sprinkling of swiss which is the wierdiest stuff i've ever heard, and i've heard Welsh :D.

Fair bit of English mind, which was surprising.

Where did you go in Switzerland? All the Swiss people I've met all spoke German (more than likely from the German speaking regions).

I used to do regular trips to Switzerland, France, Germany and Austria, only once to Belguim which struck me as odd, i was an overseas removals driver, 3 different drops/pick ups, two weeks away at a time, i used to love it for the money but it was frankly boring on your own.

In Switzerland i went to Zurich 3 or 4 times i think, always went through Basel, very French there, we had a contract with a Danish bank to move their executives, i went to a town that i cant remember the name of, that was right on Lake Brienz i went 4 times in three months, its most beautiful place i've ever seen, its like a postcard, moved a fair few to Luxembourg as well, now thats another lovely place, only ever went to Kopstal there but its was so pretty too, on the edge of the Ardennes, gorgeous.

Tell what i remember most about Switzerland, tunnels, drive few miles, then a tunnel, drive a bit more another tunnel.

Nice :thup:

Honestly you can see why people with money live there, i used love but hate going at the same time, i was just so jealous and never wanted to come home, when your sleeping in your cab for £20 a night, earning your boss thousands it makes you jealous a lot :D

Guest bimpy474

Indeed it is.

NE3 but the way the world is going it wouldn't do any harm.

Ahhh i see, very logical captain :D

French was compulsory for us like, and it was completely f***ing useless.

I know it's seen as 'ignorant' like, but there is very little reason for English kids to learn any other single language (emphasis on single).

there's very little reason for kids to learn algebra, trigonometry or geography, but they do....you know why ? because it teaches them how to learn and different ways to use their brains. it's like asking why a footballer should do some weight training instead of just playing football all the time. i say this as someone who ditched french when 13.

Guest bimpy474

I know it's seen as 'ignorant' like, but there is very little reason for English kids to learn any other single language (emphasis on single).

Theres one reason i want to learn a different language, i want to go into a shop/cafe/bar whatever, speak in English and you know pointing to whatever i want to order, as we English do abroad.

Then i want to listen to what they might say about me/us, evesdropping like, dunno why but it just appeals to me that.

Indeed it is.

It is. Well, it may not be French but kids learn a language all the way through.

I'll rephrase that - kids are given 'an opportunity' to learn a language.

Guest bimpy474

there's very little reason for kids to learn algebra, trigonometry or geography, but they do....you know why ? because it teaches them how to learn and different ways to use their brains. it's like asking why a footballer should do some weight training instead of just playing football all the time. i say this as someone who ditched french when 13.

:snod:

Theres one reason i want to learn a different language, i want to go into a shop/cafe/bar whatever, speak in English and you know pointing to whatever i want to order, as we English do abroad.

Then i want to listen to what they might say about me/us, evesdropping like, dunno why but it just appeals to me that.

But that is just a lottery as to whether you learned the right language in school or not.  "We'll teach these kids French, they may need it some day", half of that class may then leave school and move to Spain, it would have been grand if they were taught Spanish instead.

And fair point midds :thup:

Guest bimpy474

Indeed it is.

It is. Well, it may not be French but kids learn a language all the way through.

I'll rephrase that - kids are given 'an opportunity' to learn a language.

I'm showing my age aren't i, so a another language is compulsory, it just has to be on the list of languages the school teaches ?

So its not like when i went, where you can drop it at 13, taking your options as it was then.

i'd like to go on that the powers that be want to see it that languages etc are pointless and just want to turn out whatever the business world wants ie factory fodder for the most part. the point of education is to educate for life not purelty to provide fodder to feed the economy.

Guest bimpy474

But that is just a lottery as to whether you learned the right language in school or not.  "We'll teach these kids French, they may need it some day", half of that class may then leave school and move to Spain, it would have been grand if they were taught Spanish instead.

True but i've found if you know someone who speaks, French or Spanish, whatever language they chose to learn first, then they almost certainly have learnt a third, even a fourth or more.

I realise now that learning different languages is simply so interesting and brilliant, that or i'm going mental now i'm 40, i say this as an Essex born and bred, where most people struggle with English :D

True but i've found if you know someone who speaks, French or Spanish, whatever language they chose to learn first, then they almost certainly have learnt a third, even a fourth or more.

I realise now that learning different languages is simply so interesting and brilliant, that or i'm going mental now i'm 40, i say this as an Essex born and bred, where most people struggle with English :D

With a lot of southern European languages; French, Spanish, Italian and (i think) Portuguese once you know the basic rules of the language it's fairly easy just to learn the new words where applicable. Same I'm guessing with Slavic and Scando's.

Guest bimpy474

i'd like to go on that the powers that be want to see it that languages etc are pointless and just want to turn out whatever the business world wants ie factory fodder for the most part. the point of education is to educate for life not purelty to provide fodder to feed the economy.

TBF thats how most countries work, but you dont have to see yourself that way, i wished i would have learnt more, not so the country can profit from me, but to provide more for my family and have better things in life, unfortunately to get ahead you must work and that it turn feeds the economy, mind you i would say thats overthinking it.

Guest bimpy474

With a lot of southern European languages; French, Spanish, Italian and (i think) Portuguese once you know the basic rules of the language it's fairly easy just to learn the new words where applicable. Same I'm guessing with Slavic and Scando's.

Hope your right, the way i'm intending to go i could end up learning dozens :D

More and more I'm teaching kids to pass exams rather than teaching the actual subject. It's what we're all judged on since the government introduced league tables and has become the be-all and end-all.

I'm sure Erik Peters would agree. :lol:

More and more I'm teaching kids to pass exams rather than teaching the actual subject. It's what we're all judged on since the government introduced league tables and has become the be-all and end-all.

I'm sure Erik Peters would agree. :lol:

Although this Government is getting a lot of stick, i like their approach to Schools so far, getting rid of tables would be the first thing i would do, not sure their doing that but i like what i've seen so far.

their approach to schools ? have you seen the fucking mess they are doing with education......heres something to think of, student fees, earlier leaving age coupled with vocational collages, education more by rote as described by midds,.

Guest bimpy474

and yet if the kids were bilingual they'd be infinitely more employable all over the show not to mention more cultured and a bigger asset to society I'd imagine.

This ;)

TBF thats how most countries work, but you dont have to see yourself that way, i wished i would have learnt more, not so the country can profit from me, but to provide more for my family and have better things in life, unfortunately to get ahead you must work and that it turn feeds the economy, mind you i would say thats overthinking it.

what i was getting at is that the education sytem is geared towards providing for the economy as opposed to getting the best from those going through it. especially now that think tanks are wanting to lower the leaving age and throw kids at 14 into plumbing or being a sparky.

True but if you become a sparky or a plumber, that trade will see you financially ok, if your more inventive with your thinking, you use that trade to move to places like Australia where they want tradesmen,  i know thats what everyone says but its still a great option.

Thing is too, if you really want to do something, then you learn and you learn hard, you study and put in the hard work, this is all subject to being in a decent school with good teaches obviously, but nothing is ever given on a plate, i wish i had listened when i was younger, i'm trying to steer my kids right, thats my main job now like.

we are talking about 13 or 14 year old kids, to push them to "technical collages" at that age is such a waste especailly if they are coming from a crap school in a crap area with crap support ie families.

"Thing is too, if you really want to do something, then you learn and you learn hard, you study and put in the hard work"....................if that idea really worked then the kid living in scotswood has exactle the same chances as that kid going to eton.