L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

surely they need to realise theres no way back for him, not after the way he's acted, not sure any club in the world would put up with such antics and its kind of worrying it doesn't speak well of his character

Ben Arfa did the same thing.

Slightly different in that they told Ben Arfa to go find himself a club BUT as soon as he did they backtracked

This Maiga is just acting like a prick

surely they need to realise theres no way back for him, not after the way he's acted, not sure any club in the world would put up with such antics and its kind of worrying it doesn't speak well of his character

Ben Arfa did the same thing.

Brilliant justification.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Looking for a replacement

Ligue 1 Sochaux: Opoku will not be tested Looking for an attacker to compensate for the possible departure of Modibo Maiga, who wants to join Newcastle, Sochaux had expressed his interest Opoku Agyemang. The Ghanaian international (22), currently operating in Qatar, will not finally tested, as stated an official statement on the club website

Francefootball

Pretending to buy people.  That's the name of the game these days in Newcastle.

Except for the people we've actually bought, presumably?

Ok then.  Pretending to buy players who will cost decent amounts of money then :)

At least £48m in sales and £7.5m in purchases isn't the sign of a club who want to progress.  And I don't buy this "free transfers are expensive" bollocks either.  Its interesting how it doesn't seem to work the other way - have Carroll's wages for the x years he had left on his contract been added to the pot?  Or Nolan's?  Or Routledge's?

Guest bimpy474

His club want £8m?  We'll offer 4 and then when it is refused we can at least say "we bid for someone"

(I am of course willing to be proven wrong on this)

It cant be pretending to buy if we offer money, it would be trying to buy.

Hope you are proved wrong like :D

Guest Chubby Jason

I hate this transfer saga for two reasons;

1. I've never heard of him so therefore he's shit.

2. We aren't going to sign him because we never sign anyone.

His club want £8m?  We'll offer 4 and then when it is refused we can at least say "we bid for someone"

Yeah, but (if indeed this is what is happening) deliberately offering way below market value for players is not trying to buy them - its a pretence that we are a club with ambitions when in fact we are just going to drift along, selling our best players each summer and replacing them with players no one has heard of.  There's no risk in putting in a bid you know is going to never be accepted and then you can say in all honesty that you tried to get the player.

This.

We're getting a left-back and another striker.

Chill everyone.

This.

We're getting a left-back and another striker.

Chill everyone.

I agree.  I just don't think it will be an £8m striker and a £6m leftback!

NUFC manager Alan Pardew let it be known to the media that the club had apparently made an offer in the region of €7 million for the defender and they are waiting on PSV’s response. More recent reports suggest that we won’t go over €5 million for the Dutch international although in fairness these are unconfirmed and may be yet more handy work from the media.

However, according to the technical director of PSV we haven’t actually bid at all. Not yet anyway. In fact he went on record to say that he’d heard nothing from Newcastle for quite some time although the appearance of Alan Pardew at the game last night may have been an indication that something is brewing.

About that bid though. The club have heard nothing and neither has the player, so it seems to me that the board and Pardew (perhaps unknowingly) are purposely misleading the media and supporters by stating that bids have been made for players when, clearly, they haven’t. And if they are lodged, they are pitched so far below an acceptable value knowing full well the bid will be rejected.

Personally I believe this was the case with Kevin Gameiro, Gervinho, Mevlut Erdinc, and now Erik Pieters. But how long has this nonsense of fake or half-arsed efforts to sign players been going on?

Remember the Modric saga during the Keegan era? … Or the late bid for N’Zogbia in January? The late Michael Johnson bid when we sold Milner and Shay Given? None of those bids ever materialized. In my opinion, because they were never intended to.

Sums it up for me like.

Guest bimpy474

Yeah, but (if indeed this is what is happening) deliberately offering way below market value for players is not trying to buy them - its a pretence that we are a club with ambitions when in fact we are just going to drift along, selling our best players each summer and replacing them with players no one has heard of.  There's no risk in putting in a bid you know is going to never be accepted and then you can say in all honesty that you tried to get the player.

We dont know what we have offered though do we, assumption is its a lot less than market value as its an anti-Ashley type reason for us not signing a player, tbf its not surprising people feel like that with lack of info that comes from the club.

I dont buy this we tried bollocks, Ashley has shown he is so thick skinned, i dont think he cares whether it appears we tried to sign someone or not, if he says no money for signings then thats it, he wont be worried if it looks like we have bid for anyone, he simply doesn't care what it looks like, proven over and over again with his total disinterest for us and our views.

Personally i reckon there is money but a limited amount for a striker and a left back, thats why so much haggling, if we spend more on a left back it means less for the striker and vice versa, i reckon their trying to get middling prices for both, only a good way to do it if it works though. 

Guest bimpy474

Odd...I haven't read anything from Pardew saying we've made a bid for him?

Edit: referring to the article about pieters.

I think its called poetic licence, bending the truth to fit the story.