Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/11/04/pardew-enrique-couldn-t-have-bettered-ryan-72703-29717460/

JOSE ENRIQUE would have struggled to match the outstanding form of Scouser Ryan Taylor, according to Alan Pardew.

And the Toon boss has hinted he could even make the left-back slot his own with Newcastle United.

Hence Pardew’s decision to keep £5million former Inter Milan defender Davide Santon on the sidelines.

Enrique opted to quit the Magpies for Liverpool in August but goes into this weekend’s fixtures with his new side trailing the Toon by four points.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “I’ve got to be honest, I don’t think Jose could have done much better than Ryan, if I’m honest.

“We know Jose’s a world-class player, so fair play to Ryan.”

Pardew says the player’s confidence has been on the up ever since he wrote his name into Geordie folklore by whipping home the winner at the Stadium of Light.

This has meant that Santon has had to watch on in the opening 10 games.

Pardew said: “His performances have given them confidence.

“That goal at Sunderland does that sort of thing for you.

“When you have been out of the team for a long, long time.

“Something like that can propel you.

“It has propelled his confidence to the level he’s keeping out a £5million player.

“That takes some doing, Santon was brought in to play left-back and Ryan hasn’t gave him a chance.

“That’s how football should be.”

Now Pardew feels that Taylor can make the position his own.

He said: “Sometimes a change of position just boosts a player’s career, and Ryan Giggs moved from a wide player to central midfield, and perhaps became a better player.

“Who knows? Ryan could establish that position.”

But he threw the gauntlet down to Italian Under-21 skipper Santon and said: “Davide Santon’s a fantastic player.

“He threatens both full-backs – he keeps both on their toes.

“I think Danny Simpson had his best game for the club on Monday night, so the competition’s working.

“Davide’s a terrific lad. He’s played no Premier League games, though he’s come on as a sub a couple of times.

“This is good for him. He’s never seen a game like Stoke, so this is all good experience for him.”

Davide Santon has to come in at some point in the near future, you cannot realy keep a 'wonder kid' who left Inter looking for first team football on the bench for too long like.

Not really. Not in his case anyway. If he really was a wonder kid, Inter wouldn't have sold him for that kind  of money.

Davide Santon has to come in at some point in the near future, you cannot realy keep a 'wonder kid' who left Inter looking for first team football on the bench for too long like.

Not really. Not in his case anyway. If he really was a wonder kid, Inter wouldn't have sold him for that kind  of money.

Yeah because Inter's management has a cracking record of decision making over the last 2 decades.

"Wonder kid" was surrounded by apostrophes for a reason like, it's subjective though and many a Inter fan were gutted when he left. But if you think we can keep him on the bench behind Taylor AND Simpson for long then I disagree, he would have no doubt been promised first team football when he signed, so if he ends up kicking up a fuss about not even been given a chance then he's entitled to (and he hasn't been given a chance, at all).

Don't get is wrong, I don't expect (and wouldn't want) Raylor or Simpson just thrust out of the squad with Davide permanently taking there place from the off, but he needs to be getting minutes before he starts to wonder why he ever left Italy.

"Wonder kid" was surrounded by apostrophes for a reason like, it's subjective though and many a Inter fan were gutted when he left. But if you think we can keep him on the bench behind Taylor AND Simpson for long then I disagree, he would have no doubt been promised first team football when he signed, so if he ends up kicking up a fuss about not even been given a chance then he's entitled to (and he hasn't been given a chance, at all).

Don't get is wrong, I don't expect (and wouldn't want) Raylor or Simpson just thrust out of the squad with Davide permanently taking there place from the off, but he needs to be getting minutes before he starts to wonder why he ever left Italy.

Depends what you mean by "given a chance". Dropping players who are playing really well to accomodate someone who has been promised first team football isn't the kind of management I want at my club.

He'll get his chance though, he's probably significantly better than Simpson and Taylor. But it should be when needed, not for the sake of keeping him happy.

He'll be in the 11 soon enough, be it after Simpson or Taylor's form turns, or our unbeaten run ends - he'll be there. 

I'd like to see him play RB over Simpson - esp in the City, Man Utd, and Chelsea fixtures to come.  I think Jonas/Raylor is a brilliant combination on the left side esp vs those 3 sides, but I think Simpson will eventually get ripped to shreds by the stronger wingers over those other 3 matches.

Depends what you mean by "given a chance". Dropping players who are playing really well to accomodate someone who has been promised first team football isn't the kind of management I want at my club.

He'll get his chance though, he's probably significantly better than Simpson and Taylor. But it should be when needed, not for the sake of keeping him happy.

They don't have to be 'dropped' per say, it's just rotation, happens at most clubs. It just worries me that we're so reluctant to even slightly tweak the squad in fear of some massive breakdown.

I obviosly don't know all of the details such as how he's getting on in training, but if all is well then just give him a game, see how he gets on.

We're not afraid of a massive breakdown IMO, we're just rewarding the players who have played well, creating performance improvements through competition and looking after the morale. Any individual player has to come second to that.

Anyway, the cream will rise to the top as long as they keep working hard. The problems only occur when they spit the dummy out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped from page three(!).

http://www.football-italia.net/node/12840

Santon delighted with Newcastle move

By Football Italia staff

Italian Under-21 captain Davide Santon says he’s happy with life in England following his switch to Newcastle United.

The versatile full-back joined the Premiership giants in August after he signed a five-year contract. Inter netted around £5.3m for him in terms of a transfer fee.

“I’m very happy in England,” he said from the Azzurrini training base on Monday afternoon. “I have found that tranquillity again which I had lost while in Italy.

“I’ve only just got there and I’m slowly learning English, but I have a long contract at Newcastle and they have invested a lot in me.”

Santon was being hailed as the new Giacinto Facchetti at Inter during a time when Mario Balotelli also emerged with the Nerazzurri.

“I don’t know if Inter’s youth project has failed,” he continued. “You will have to ask them. Everyone makes their own decisions.

“I can only speak for myself and I’m happy with the choice that I have made…”

Santon, also capped by the full Italian international side, spent six months of last season on loan at Cesena.

He isn't. But it's strange that they sold him, the Japanese lad they replaced him with looks horrendous.

Guest Heneage

Like I said a while back and he's alluded to there, England is a fantastic place for him to escape. He'd become the focal point of media attention due to his young emergence and a bit like Bojan I don't think he was really ready for it.

You see similarities with Balotelli who is said to have quite a childish mind. I think the time away from being judged and critiqued on a weekly basis because you're that nations future allows them space to grow as players and people. I have full confidence Santon will come good and provide us a much more cultured outlet from right back.

Its strange that foreign players call our media less intrusive, when we have a culture of WAGs, obsessed supporters and players living in fear of the NotW (well, not anymore). They must actually get stalked abroad.

I think the focus is more on the England internationals. A player like Santon can live in relative obscurity in Newcastle, especially since he hasn't done anything in the PL yet. In Italy he was hailed as the next Maldini. I can't even imagine the amount of attention he must have gotten.

Guest Heneage

Its strange that foreign players call our media less intrusive, when we have a culture of WAGs, obsessed supporters and players living in fear of the NotW (well, not anymore). They must actually get stalked abroad.

I think the focus is more on the England internationals. A player like Santon can live in relative obscurity in Newcastle, especially since he hasn't done anything in the PL yet. In Italy he was hailed as the next Maldini. I can't even imagine the amount of attention he must have gotten.

Exactly, you have to put in context where and who he is. I'd liken him to Micah Richards a few years back, everyone thought wow what a player he's destined for the England NT for years to come.