Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Give the lad a Break. First post and he's being torn apart. He thinks Simpson  is alright as he keeps making goaline  clearances . Fair do's. I'd rather see santon and a new lb  too but he is entitled to his view.

Give the lad a Break. First post and he's being torn apart. He thinks Simpson  is alright as he keeps making goaline  clearances . Fair do's. I'd rather see santon and a new lb  too but he is entitled to his view.

This, on any other season Simpson will make half or less than half of the goal line clearances he has this season. It's just an aberration but it has been very useful. Personally, I want to see footballers playing in every position on the park. There's no space in the PL for players who aren't able to do several different things with/without the ball but the lad doesn't need to take such heat from an opening post

He made an account to actually post that. Apologies to our sound American fans, but that is nail on the head for the typical American stereotypical 'soccer' viewpoint  :jesuswept:

STATS. MONEYBALL. Fucking Yanks.

Nah, wondering if it's a mackem WUM. Nah, too smart to make some American alias.

interesting he's started getting stronger and playing games now, looks good - i do wonder if pards made a conscious choice to ease him into the first team picture while behind the scenes giving him the hba treatment on work ethic and presumably positioning/responsibility

if so it makes me wonder if pards didn't learn a lot from his experience with tevez & mascherano for which he was widely criticised at the time?

Oh its his first post? i didnt realise  :lol:

In the case i take back what i said and willing to let him explain his reasoning  :bluestar:

Like he's going to post again man. Cruel bastards.  :lol:

Guest VegasToon

I like Santon but I would rather have Simpson at right back, having him on the pitch is like having a second goalkeeper sometimes. Doesn't he lead the league, by far, in goal line clearances? That kind of special quality is handier than getting a few crosses in from the fullback position in my opinion.

Thanks for giving us a bad name.  :'(

BTW, what part of CA are you from?  I am in Sacramento.

I like Santon but I would rather have Simpson at right back, having him on the pitch is like having a second goalkeeper sometimes. Doesn't he lead the league, by far, in goal line clearances? That kind of special quality is handier than getting a few crosses in from the fullback position in my opinion.

Only one iffy post, man. No need for hunting down... yet.

A bit north of Sac, in the valley, originally from Humboldt out on the coast.

And as for you lot, I stand by my statement. We'd have quite a few more losses without Simpson's defensive quality this season, and as for not being allowed to handle the ball -- don't tell that to Liverpool haha. You can talk all the s*** you want but the fact remains that Simpson has saved quite a few sure goals in tight games and he deserves credit for that.

I haven't seen anything that special from Santon in his time here, potential sure but nothing that really blew my socks off, and Simpson has pulled our asses out of the fire quite a few times so I think he's earned his place this season at least. If we end up bringing in a real left back then let Santon and Simpson compete for the job, but I don't think it should be an automatic change.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Love Santon, great first season for a young full back

Has the attributes in pace, athleticism and ability to make a success here. Great signing that i think will thrive next year, maybe at RB

Guest ToonZA

Love Santon, great first season for a young full back

Has the attributes in pace, athleticism and ability to make a success here. Great signing that i think will thrive next year, maybe at RB

Yep, he has the attributes that you cannot coach into players while his deficiencies are the kind that Pardew and his team can address. No doubt the experience of his first year in the PL will help no end. I have high hopes for him.

Guest VegasToon

Wow, one post and he's gone.

VegasToon, would've thought you were in Tucson or Las Vegas.  I'm in Santa Cruz.

Live in both, but now Sacramento.

And as for you lot, I stand by my statement. We'd have quite a few more losses without Simpson's defensive quality this season, and as for not being allowed to handle the ball -- don't tell that to Liverpool haha. You can talk all the s*** you want but the fact remains that Simpson has saved quite a few sure goals in tight games and he deserves credit for that.

I haven't seen anything that special from Santon in his time here, potential sure but nothing that really blew my socks off, and Simpson has pulled our asses out of the fire quite a few times so I think he's earned his place this season at least. If we end up bringing in a real left back then let Santon and Simpson compete for the job, but I don't think it should be an automatic change.

I see nothing wrong with that, sorry for responding the way i did and welcome  ;)

I prefer Santon for his ability on the ball and much superior first touch and quite frankly defensively he's quite decent no Enrique but good none the less.

But i understand your view, i dont necessarily agree with it but i understand it.

Agree with this.  Welcome.

Obviously we need a better ball playing right back if we want to progress and I do think Santon will be our man for the future.