Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I think what he is lacking now is the end product. Strong and fast going forward and then......nothing. going forward should be what he is best at. defensively still a lot to learn.

imaging him in full speed overlapping arfa who cuts in and santons good right foot to cross with. He can easily cut in himself from RB. THAT would be the sh't we have been calling for and what simpson could never do.

I think we should move him to rb and buy a new LB.

he is good but he could be much better and a dangerous attacking option....which he isn´t right now. jonas is not to blame here.

Jonas' ineptitude is bringing Santon's offensive shortcomings into sharp focus though. He was essentially playing winger and fullback against City. Also whoever said he doesn't make overlapping runs is completely wrong. Pretty much all he did second half yesterday until Ferguson came on.

If you are playing attacking full backs to give you width, then you need good full backs obviously. This is where Simpson and Santon have lets us down with their crossing. The big worry for me is, your holding midfielder has to stay deep so he can drop in the centre half position so the two centre half's can split if the opposition break down your exposed flanks if the full backs have pushed on.

This is a massive problem for me, we get caught with opposition breaking on our centre halfs so often. Pardew needs to sort that out and tell Tiote to sit properly.

yes yes...but that has absolutely nothing to do with simpson and santons skills going forward. I know what you are saying.

I think what he is lacking now is the end product. Strong and fast going forward and then......nothing. going forward should be what he is best at. defensively still a lot to learn.

imaging him in full speed overlapping arfa who cuts in and santons good right foot to cross with. He can easily cut in himself from RB. THAT would be the sh't we have been calling for and what simpson could never do.

he is good but he could be much better and a dangerous attacking option....which he isn´t right now. jonas is not to blame here.

Jonas' ineptitude is bringing Santon's offensive shortcomings into sharp focus though. He was essentially playing winger and fullback against City. Also whoever said he doesn't make overlapping runs is completely wrong. Pretty much all he did second half yesterday until Ferguson came on.

well i will give you plays a part. But santon does not make great left footed crosses. And i cant really remember him making an assist? his end product is lacking....i just think everything will come more natural for him on RB.

well i will give you plays a part. But santon does not make great left footed crosses. And i cant really remember him making an assist? his end product is lacking....i just think everything will come more natural for him on RB.

I agree with you on his crossing ability. Out of interest do you think its possible for him to work on this to a high enough level to be effective? If you look at his touch and general passing (as opposed to crossing) with his weaker foot he's very solid. I only ask because if he could become better with his crossing on his left he would be suited to playing on the left as obviously he becomes far harder to defend against.

If you had the option of him either overlapping to whip a cross in at the byline or cutting in and creating space for the left winger/driving at the box then I think we would have a seriously effective left side.

Santon is more than fine at LB, the problem is the guy playing in front of him is pretty useless. The amount of times Jonas passes to him and just stands there, making no movement and giving Santon an option. Santon is then double marked, he certainly could do with sorting out his crossing BUT the quicker solution would be to play someone competent ahead of him

He was still trying to cut inside when he was moved to the right flank.

This. Then he realised he was on his left foot and didn't seem to understand that he could use that to kick the football.

Can see why he'd rather play down the left when his tendency is to try and force the inside route.

I agree with you on his crossing ability. Out of interest do you think its possible for him to work on this to a high enough level to be effective? If you look at his touch and general passing (as opposed to crossing) with his weaker foot he's very solid. I only ask because if he could become better with his crossing on his left he would be suited to playing on the left as obviously he becomes far harder to defend against.

If you had the option of him either overlapping to whip a cross in at the byline or cutting in and creating space for the left winger/driving at the box then I think we would have a seriously effective left side.

Well, he will only get better. Dont think his left foot will improve much. He is good... I just think he might be better on the right.

Maybe a natural left footed winger would do him good? Earlier i wrote Jonas was not to blame...he might be... To some extent?

But right now we do not create anything through Simpson and santon. Thats a problem. Imaging arfa if also the opponts had to defend against a skillful attacking rb. Arfa will improved hugely because of more options and space. Right now he is working alone.

Well, he will only get better. Dont think his left foot will improve much. He is good... I just think he might be better on the right.

Maybe a natural left footed winger would do him good? Earlier i wrote Jonas was not to blame...he might be... To some extent?

But right now we do not create anything through Simpson and santon. Thats a problem. Imaging arfa if also the opponts had to defend against a skillful attacking rb. Arfa will improved hugely because of more options and space. Right now he is working alone.

He is only 21 afterall, compared to the players of a similar age he is streets ahead and is exceptionally talented (Ranger 21, Ameobi 20, Ferguson 21). He really is the least of our problems. Also think how many games he has played this season. I think a natural left footer would increase his consistency as he wouldn't have to do so much. I think you touch upon something though when mentioning Hatem. We currently have no partnerships/trios on the pitch. Under Hughton we had small chains of players working together very well, jonas, jose, colo; carroll, nolan barton.

To criticise him now is like complaining about someone lighting a match indoors while the whole house is ablaze.

He is only 21 afterall, compared to the players of a similar age he is streets ahead and is exceptionally talented (Ranger 21, Ameobi 20, Ferguson 21). He really is the least of our problems. Also think how many games he has played this season. I think a natural left footer would increase his consistency as he wouldn't have to do so much. I think you touch upon something though when mentioning Hatem. We currently have no partnerships/trios on the pitch. Under Hughton we had small chains of players working together very well, jonas, jose, colo; carroll, nolan barton.

To criticise him now is like complaining about someone lighting a match indoors while the whole house is ablaze.

Totally agree!

hey hey hey. Im not critizing him.  Im just discussing or asking if he would be better on the right.

only thing i say that could be negative is his left foot and that his end product is lacking. can be worked on and a new partner in stead of jonas could help the course.

think he has a good right foot that would produce more attacking from the right than his cutting in from the left do atm.

thats all. like the player and he is young. Not critizing. But there is always room for improvement!

Downing is shit. We can, and I'm pretty sure we will, do better.

NO he isn't. He has pace to burn and can deliver quality crosses from the left.

Currently a big upgrade on what we're getting from Jonas and Obertan and can also cover left back if required.