Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 23m

Mike Ashley is a businessman and would always be prepared to listen to offers. Small problem is there are NO offers. #nufc

He has some great connections like.

Does he mean there are no offers or that there are offers from Newcastle Online?

I've put in my very own Mike Ashley inspired offer. My powder is very wet though so I'm not sure if it'll fly.

Mike Ashley is a businessman and would always be prepared to listen to offers. Small problem is there are N-O offers. #nufc

Christ, we've made an offer??  :lol:

Mike can be Director of Football.

It's not just the reluctance to spend money that's holding us back ffs.  It's consistently s**** appointments, both in a football and non-footballing capacity.

Bringing Keegan back was a fluke.  It worked for a short time but it was to appease the fans.  No-one will ever convince me that MA knew of Keegan's positive forward-thinking and that's why he did it.  Hughton was also a fluke.  He couldn't be arsed to seek out or pay for a well-known manager.  Luckily he had a good coach on his books, being paid a pittance, looking to step-up.

He's had two people running the club on his behalf, neither of whom had ever been involved in football before.

I refuse to believe anyone else that would come in to buy the club would have such an appalling grasp on how a football club should be ran effectively like Mike Ashley does.

Oddly enough I thought just the opposite about Ashley bringing KK back. To me it showed that head no idea what he was doing.

Mike Ashley is a businessman and would always be prepared to listen to offers. Small problem is there are N-O offers. #nufc

:lol: Who get the Managers job out of us lot?

Baba, press conferences would be priceless.

Baba, press conferences would be priceless.

Yes  :lol: Dave for MD  :thup:

It beggars belief how predjudiced nufc fans are against southerners.  Mike Ashley is slowly building a solid financial foundation that WILL eventually provide the club with the financial clout to eventually compete with the big clubs.  If fans want immediate success then go and support the likes of man city.  What is the point of spending money the club cannot hope to generate only to end up like Portsmouth.  Short term gain always results on long term pain.  I have supported this club for all of my sentient years and if I can wait a little longer for success on the field I can't see why other junior supporters can't be expected to put in the time like us older fans.

I've no real problem with the amount we spend on transfers or our transfer policy, I think we've been bringing in talented players for good fee's, and i've only really lost patience with Ashley this season. But hiring people that belong in another era(and weren't even particularly successful back then) can only lose us money. If we get relegated again, which is a real possibility at the moment, then what happens to the "solid financial foundation"? If Ashley recognized the way the game is played these days and the importance of coaching then I'd be fine, but as it is we have an old fashioned coach working under a relic, neither are really qualified to be here and i've no idea why either was hired.

It's not just the reluctance to spend money that's holding us back ffs.  It's consistently s**** appointments, both in a football and non-footballing capacity.

Bringing Keegan back was a fluke.  It worked for a short time but it was to appease the fans.  No-one will ever convince me that MA knew of Keegan's positive forward-thinking and that's why he did it.  Hughton was also a fluke.  He couldn't be arsed to seek out or pay for a well-known manager.  Luckily he had a good coach on his books, being paid a pittance, looking to step-up.

He's had two people running the club on his behalf, neither of whom had ever been involved in football before.

I refuse to believe anyone else that would come in to buy the club would have such an appalling grasp on how a football club should be ran effectively like Mike Ashley does.

Oddly enough I thought just the opposite about Ashley bringing KK back. To me it showed that head no idea what he was doing.

That's what I mean, man.  There were a few people on SkySports and the like at the time saying "I'd get Keegan back" - completely throwaway statements.  At the time it seemed totally unfeasible but he listened.  It wasn't something he came up with himself.

Talk about the so called brilliant finances to the cows come home if you wish but are they really that brilliant?

We rely heavily on TV money, our commercial income is f*cking awful and at the end of the day like it or not before Ashley we had much larger income.

Just an example of this.... 7 years ago we were getting 30m per year more than Spurs now they get 50m more than us with a smaller stadium and less f*cking gate receipts.

Fantastic finances my arse.

Indeed. Purely on numbers, the finances are vastly worse than they were before he arrived. The difference is that we owe (hugely more) money to him rather than the banks, so we aren't going to be called on it.

What some people don't seem able to grasp is that the financial success of football clubs isn't about a lack of debt, it's all about profit and turnover. Man United and Chelsea's debt dwarfs everything else in the league but the banks don't care because they generate vast profits through on-pitch (and subsequently off-pitch) success. As long as they can keep on paying it comfortably, the more debt the better as far as the banks are concerned because it generates more interest for them. The clubs that get the plug pulled aren't the behemoths with mountains of debt, it's the ones with piddly little amounts owed to HMRC who can't pay because they bring absolutely fuck all in.

Boggles the fucking mind that some people think "financial success" as a football club is based on being on an even keel (even though we're not, but ignore that for a moment). Do these people live on the same planet as the rest of us? They want their football club to run like their own household finances.

Indeed.

Success = a higher global profile, the big sponsorship deals and increased revenue from the CL etc will come.

However to have such success you need to be prepared to take that first risk - an outlay on a squad good enough to achieve your goal.

This is where MA is a businessman, not a football man.  He seems convinced we can have all of the above by not spending more than £9m on a player and that you can offset some of that cost by selling others - completely forgetting the importance of squad depth.

Guest Brazilianbob

It beggars belief how predjudiced nufc fans are against southerners.  Mike Ashley is slowly building a solid financial foundation that WILL eventually provide the club with the financial clout to eventually compete with the big clubs.  If fans want immediate success then go and support the likes of man city.  What is the point of spending money the club cannot hope to generate only to end up like Portsmouth.  Short term gain always results on long term pain.  I have supported this club for all of my sentient years and if I can wait a little longer for success on the field I can't see why other junior supporters can't be expected to put in the time like us older fans.u

I'm a southerner and this is a huge crock of s***.

o

Well I think your opinion is a crock of s*** but that is not a valid argument either.

Indeed.

Success = a higher global profile, the big sponsorship deals and increased revenue from the CL etc will come.

However to have such success you need to be prepared to take that first risk - an outlay on a squad good enough to achieve your goal.

This is where MA is a businessman, not a football man.  He seems convinced we can have all of the above by not spending more than £9m on a player and that you can offset some of that cost by selling others - completely forgetting the importance of squad depth.

I agree with you basically, but it's a very tough one to get right isn't it?

I mean, if Ashley could guarantee that spending £Xm would break the top four regularly, win us titles and allow us to generate Man Utd profits then no doubt he would spend that money. But football isn't a predictable ROI business - so much is random and everyone above you is already so entrenched.

We already tried to speculate in the very recent past, and it didn't work out as planned. That's part of the reason Ashley is here.

I don't have an answer, I just think it's easy to throw about lines like 'speculate to accumulate' without much logic about how it actually works.

Talk about the so called brilliant finances to the cows come home if you wish but are they really that brilliant?

We rely heavily on TV money, our commercial income is f*cking awful and at the end of the day like it or not before Ashley we had much larger income.

Just an example of this.... 7 years ago we were getting 30m per year more than Spurs now they get 50m more than us with a smaller stadium and less f*cking gate receipts.

Indeed. Purely on numbers, the finances are vastly worse than they were before he arrived. The difference is that we owe (hugely more) money to him rather than the banks, so we aren't going to be called on it.

What some people don't seem able to grasp is that the financial success of football clubs isn't about a lack of debt, it's all about profit and turnover. Man United and Chelsea's debt dwarfs everything else in the league but the banks don't care because they generate vast profits through on-pitch (and subsequently off-pitch) success. As long as they can keep on paying it comfortably, the more debt the better as far as the banks are concerned because it generates more interest for them. The clubs that get the plug pulled aren't the behemoths with mountains of debt, it's the ones with piddly little amounts owed to HMRC who can't pay because they bring absolutely f*** all in.

Boggles the f***ing mind that some people think "financial success" as a football club is based on being on an even keel (even though we're not, but ignore that for a moment). Do these people live on the same planet as the rest of us? They want their football club to run like their own household finances.

:thup: Our revenue is pretty shameful for a club our size.

The last time he wanted to sell was when the fans turned on him one or two years into his ownership. He couldn't recover his investment with any of the offers, especially after we got relegated. Then we got good crowds at a lower league, came back on the first attempt, sold a player for 35m, and the PL got a lucrative tv deal. He realised all that and that he wields all the power with fans helpless against him. We're getting some profits in, he's not losing money (even harder to do so with the increased tv revenue), gets free advertising in SJP and on screens worldwide and barring a catastrophic relegation to league 1 he won't suffer a loss on his investment.

We missed the window where he was desperate to sell up. Doubt Ashley will ever do so now unless an Arab with oil money comes in.

Meh.. he has pretty much always said he would sell if the right offer comes in.

Maybe all this nonsense was about hoping a knight in shining armor would come in and bid for the club to save the day... unlikely though, he will want to recoup cost..even though he has lowered the market value with the recent shenanigans.

Am I right in saying that the plan of action from the "fans meeting" is to encourage people not to attend the SC Braga friendly?

What difference do the "fans" of NUFC expect this will make? 

Guest icemanblue

That story is nothing more than a reminder to us ungrateful fans, about how much Uncle Mike has had to spend to save our little club. No surprise that it's been released through one of the club's favourites.

Absolutely not true, they make thick end of £20Mill more than us.

Maybe we should charge Spurs-esque prices, that'd make everyone happy I'm sure.

Yep - people seem to overlook how relatively 'cheap' our tickets are compared to most other clubs.

Guest neesy111

Yep - people seem to overlook how relatively 'cheap' our tickets are compared to most other clubs.

They have to be or SJP would be like the SoL nowadays.  Club has lost a shit load of core supporters over the last 7- 8 years.

Spurs can charge those prices considering they have a 25k waiting list.