Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Anyone care to explain how Ashley is doing so well on the business side of things then, because everything I have read does not support that.

Our profitability is improved, our debt is owed cheaply to the owner. Guess that's about the size of it.

TBF our position on that revenue table is about right, the cost per fan is kept as low as realistically possible. We could easily jump up the table just by putting prices up, but would people want that?

Talk about the so called brilliant finances to the cows come home if you wish but are they really that brilliant?

We rely heavily on TV money, our commercial income is f*cking awful and at the end of the day like it or not before Ashley we had much larger income.

Just an example of this.... 7 years ago we were getting 30m per year more than Spurs now they get 50m more than us with a smaller stadium and less f*cking gate receipts.

Fantastic finances my arse.

Absolutely not true, they make thick end of £20Mill more than us.

Maybe we should charge Spurs-esque prices, that'd make everyone happy I'm sure.

Yep - people seem to overlook how relatively 'cheap' our tickets are compared to most other clubs.

They have to be or SJP would be like the SoL nowadays.  Club has lost a s*** load of core supporters over the last 7- 8 years.

Spurs can charge those prices considering they have a 25k waiting list.

:thup: Tbhe cheap tickets are to offset the ridiculous decisions and the general disillusion of the fans. We make more out of our gate receipts than Spurs anyway.  But as Neesy says they could change it and still pack it out, massive waiting list

Oh no we don't.

Most of the "fans" aren't members of message boards and the season ticket holders I know ain't disillusioned at all, it's all about the team on match-day and the social game-day stuff.

Those 400 (or 0.77%) of the match-going fans don't represent the true feelings one way or the other.

Your notion of cheap to offset disillusion is also a flawed argument, less tickets sold for more £££'s = more money than more cheaper tickets for less, see us and Spurs/Liverpool in graphs above.

IF you're really disillusioned you wouldn't pay, what is, even at the current levels, to a lot of folk still a significant lump of money.

Guest neesy111

However, they've done the sensible thing with the debts.

That was forced onto Ashley due to his thickness of not doing due diligence.

Well whoever bought us would have had to deal with our debt position. You're right that he should have done more investigation though.

Talk about the so called brilliant finances to the cows come home if you wish but are they really that brilliant?

We rely heavily on TV money, our commercial income is f*cking awful and at the end of the day like it or not before Ashley we had much larger income.

Just an example of this.... 7 years ago we were getting 30m per year more than Spurs now they get 50m more than us with a smaller stadium and less f*cking gate receipts.

Fantastic finances my arse.

Absolutely not true, they make thick end of £20Mill more than us.

Maybe we should charge Spurs-esque prices, that'd make everyone happy I'm sure.

Yep - people seem to overlook how relatively 'cheap' our tickets are compared to most other clubs.

They have to be or SJP would be like the SoL nowadays.  Club has lost a s*** load of core supporters over the last 7- 8 years.

Spurs can charge those prices considering they have a 25k waiting list.

:thup: Tbhe cheap tickets are to offset the ridiculous decisions and the general disillusion of the fans. We make more out of our gate receipts than Spurs anyway.  But as Neesy says they could change it and still pack it out, massive waiting list

Oh no we don't.

Most of the "fans" aren't members of message boards and the season ticket holders I know ain't disillusioned at all, it's all about the team on match-day and the social game-day stuff.

Those 400 (or 0.77%) of the match-going fans don't represent the true feelings one way or the other.

Your notion of cheap to offset disillusion is also a flawed argument, less tickets sold for more £££'s = more money than more cheaper tickets for less, see us and Spurs/Liverpool in graphs above.

IF you're really disillusioned you wouldn't pay, what is, even at the current levels, to a lot of folk still a significant lump of money.

It attracts day trippers and encourages those who would have perhaps not have bought a ticket due to their feelings towards Ashley/Club/Pardew.

if you aren't too keen on NUFC at present and you can go to a game, the ticket is 15 compared to 40, you are more likely to buy that ticket

If the product on the pitch is good, people would willingly pay more to watch it - it doesn't matter HOW badly you think about the people who are producing the product, there will always be plenty of people willing to buy it if its good - there is no nation on earth who should, in theory, hate the Germans more than anyone else but Israel....yet you go there, or watch film from there and you will see the roads full of Mercs and BMWs.

Likewise people whose relatives were prisoners of the Japanese - they are quite prepared to buy Japanese cars/TVs/electrical goods because they are good and usually reliable.

The same thing applies with football - if you price down the product, you then take less profit unless you can increase gates massively, which means you buy cheaper players and get more mediocre football as a result.

There was a 20,000 waiting list in the mid-90s when our prices weren't that much different to other clubs....we are cheaper to watch now, but the waiting list has gone.

Offer peanuts, get monkeys....

Pricing down the tickets doesn't really affect your ability to sign players that much though, does it? Since gate receipts are actually quite small compared to stuff like TV money and the person wealth of owners.

The waiting list has gone because we aren't as successful, obviously. No club can avoid that effect.

There was a 20,000 waiting list in the mid-90s when our prices weren't that much different to other clubs....we are cheaper to watch now, but the waiting list has gone.

The capacity of the stadium has increased by almost 20,000 in that time.

Anyone complaining about low ticket prices can go suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. Football is overpriced as it is and the economy is fucked. The club have done a great job of making it accessible to all.

Anyone complaining about low ticket prices can go suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. Football is overpriced as it is and the economy is fucked. The club have done a great job of making it accessible to all.

I got my season ticket 8 years ago and was waiting for 2 years to get one and that was post expansion.

I got my season ticket 8 years ago and was waiting for 2 years to get one and that was post expansion.

The economy wasn't in the toilet then.

It was forced on Ashley due to the state and level of the debt, if he'd done due diligence he would have done a runner IMO.

Anyone complaining about low ticket prices can go suck a dick as far as I'm concerned. Football is overpriced as it is and the economy is f***ed. The club have done a great job of making it accessible to all.

I think the ticket prices is a good thing, my point was that its reactionary to the relative poor performance of the club as a whole.

Ticket prices are set ahead of time and thus by definition can't be reactionary, if they were reactionary they'd have gone up significantly after finishing 5th.

Attendances will rise/fall in line with performance on the park (same as any club) although we have always tended to get better crowds than most even when we're crap. That continues to be the case.

It's a miniscule minority who won't go because of "off the pitch" antics rather than on the pitch stuff. That's borne out by the numbers we get through the gates.

My lads are getting 3 ST's between them this year because they can now afford them, they couldn't give two hoots about anything other than going to the game. Oh aye, they talk about the Ashley stuff, but it doesn't register in the slightest when deciding to attend the match or not.

IMO it's a brilliant thing that so many people are just concerned with enjoying match days. Being a football fan is so much more fun when that's the case.

As you say, the crowds are just a simple reaction to supply/demand when the stuff on the pitch gets better or worse. That's inevitable.

IMO it's a brilliant thing that so many people are just concerned with enjoying match days. Being a football fan is so much more fun when that's the case.

As you say, the crowds are just a simple reaction to supply/demand when the stuff on the pitch gets better or worse. That's inevitable.

Couldn't agree more.

why do we have to go through this s*** all the time

Nothing has happened, stand down.

Yeah I know, I mean why do we get the same shit 'stories' every other few months or something, everyone knows he'd sell, IF someone pays over the top. Can't believe it's even made it to skysports :facepalm:

Not even worth discussing.