Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

We're making £50m profit a year at the moment.  Investing £50m a year into the first team would make a massive difference and that's without sending the club into debt, without borrowing, without stupid installments.  Simply investing our profits would see us competing at the right end of the table (including a proper salary for a real manager).

We haven't reported a profit before player trading yet.  Operating profit for the last 7 years has been...

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

I'd expect us to spend in Summer.

Conveniently ignoring the mahoosive tv deal :lol:

Why discount player trading btw?  Does that money not count?

Maybe if he allowed some other sponsors some coverage inside the stadium at the expense of some of his sports direct adverts the club may well make a profit before player trading. Every other club in the PL has grown their commercial revenue massively in the past 7 years except us.

We're making £50m profit a year at the moment.  Investing £50m a year into the first team would make a massive difference and that's without sending the club into debt, without borrowing, without stupid installments.  Simply investing our profits would see us competing at the right end of the table (including a proper salary for a real manager).

We haven't reported a profit before player trading yet.  Operating profit for the last 7 years has been...

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

I struggle to trust these numbers.

Remember that Starbucks reported a profit of £1.05m last year. They have 791 stores and that's the first profit they've reported in 17 years.

Never underestimate the importance of a decent accountant. I'd be amazed if the numbers NUFC report are anywhere near indicative of the financial performance of the club and everything associated with it.

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

Remember that Starbucks reported a profit of £1.05m last year. They have 791 stores and that's the first profit they've reported in 17 years.

Never underestimate the importance of a decent accountant. I'd be amazed if the numbers NUFC report are anywhere near indicative of the financial performance of the club and everything associated with it.

That cant be right surely?  :lol:

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

Pre-Tax "profits" for starbucks in the last three accounts.

2012: -30,403,907

2013: -20,465,123

2014: 1,056,196

They'd have carried on the charade if it wasn't for the uproar in the media when someone noticed they'd paid NO tax at all for nearly 2 decades.

So they sheepishly announced a tiny, token profit so they would pay a tiny bit of tax.

I'm highlighting Starbucks, but every company uses legal and not so legal means to minimise their tax exposure. I'm sure Newcastle United are no different in that regard.

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

Because people seem happy enough that we basically spend what we earn from player trading.  My point is that there's been nothing in the kitty over and above that to spend.

Until now.

There were TV deals in place when those results were announced.  We've increased outlay since moving into the current TV deal.

Maybe if he allowed some other sponsors some coverage inside the stadium at the expense of some of his sports direct adverts the club may well make a profit before player trading. Every other club in the PL has grown their commercial revenue massively in the past 7 years except us.

Spot on.  That's where he deserves criticism.  NUFC growth is restricted for the benefit of his shops retail operations and publicity.

They'd have carried on the charade if it wasn't for the uproar in the media when someone noticed they'd paid NO tax at all for nearly 2 decades.

So they sheepishly announced a tiny, token profit so they would pay a tiny bit of tax.

I'm highlighting Starbucks, but every company uses legal and not so legal means to minimise their tax exposure. I'm sure Newcastle United are no different in that regard.

I'm told Newcastle have built up enough losses over the last 2 decades that paying tax on profits isn't really a concern.

-29.0m

-24.7m

-37.7m

-33.5m

-3.9m

-5.1m

-0.6m

Pre-Tax "profits" for starbucks in the last three accounts.

2012: -30,403,907

2013: -20,465,123

2014: 1,056,196

Fucking Hell  :lol:

I'd heard little bits and bobs about the Tax Dodging but didnt really pay much attention. How'd they manage to get away with that for so long?

Wasnt it something daft like Starbucks don't actually own anything, they make there money basically like a franchise and each shop is an individual franchise. So despite all the profits the shops bring Starbucks as an entity didn't make anything.

Wasnt it something daft like Starbucks don't actually own anything, they make there money basically like a franchise and each shop is an individual franchise. So despite all the profits the shops bring Starbucks as an entity didn't make anything.

Just had a quick google, looks like they were paying royalties to a Sister Company, also selling coffee beans to themselves at a higher price so made it look as though no profit was made. A couple of other sneaky tricks too.

I see where HF is coming from and agree with him to an extent. I think we will spend in the Summer simply because we need too.

I've little faith of the amount being significant or the quality being good enough though.

I guess I'm trying to rally against the perceived wisdom that NUFC will always spend the minimum amount necessary to survive.

The fact is that under Mike Ashley, NUFC has spent the maximum amount it can afford without having to borrow any more from Mike Ashley.  That capacity takes a massive leap with every new TV deal.

Guest Roger Kint

I see where HF is coming from and agree with him to an extent. I think we will spend in the Summer simply because we need too.

I've little faith of the amount being significant or the quality being good enough though.

I guess I'm trying to rally against the perceived wisdom that NUFC will always spend the minimum amount necessary to survive.

The fact is that under Mike Ashley, NUFC has spent the maximum amount it can afford without having to borrow any more from Mike Ashley.  That capacity takes a massive leap with every new TV deal.

:lol: Fucking hell what absolute guff

See I understand where HF is coming from. Despite all the sales the club was still not make a profit each season until very recently. Therefore without spreading costs of seasons and paying for everything upfront we have spent the maximum amount available. Why we don't spread the costs whilst allowing other clubs to spread the costs is beyond me though.

Just had a quick google, looks like they were paying royalties to a Sister Company, also selling coffee beans to themselves at a higher price so made it look as though no profit was made. A couple of other sneaky tricks too.

Its also growing really rapidly, its easy to 'lose' profit in a rapidly gorwing company whilst maintaining a good cashflow.

Those amounts are probably the same

:lol: Fucking hell what absolute guff

Which unused money should the club have been spending more of?  Has the clubs coffers been going up like Arsenal?

See I understand where HF is coming from. Despite all the sales the club was still not make a profit each season until very recently. Therefore without spreading costs of seasons and paying for everything upfront we have spent the maximum amount available. Why we don't spread the costs whilst allowing other clubs to spread the costs is beyond me though.

We do spread costs, we don't spread cashflow.

Paying upfront was a good bargaining tool early on, shame the conduct of our negotiators have blunted the willingness of sellers to engage with us

Its also growing really rapidly, its easy to 'lose' profit in a rapidly gorwing company whilst maintaining a good cashflow.

Those amounts are probably the same

Absolutley, but the perception of Ashley changes massively depending on how you frame it.

He also seems to allocate a wedge from the first year of a new TV deal to repaying the loan.  Given that £11m was repaid a few years ago and we assume he'll take £18m from the 13/14 accounts, after taking nowt for a couple of years.

The original repayment was for the overdraft and small loan when we went down was it not ? Would this not be the first repayment from the original/big/his cock up debt ?

He also seems to allocate a wedge from the first year of a new TV deal to repaying the loan.  Given that £11m was repaid a few years ago and we assume he'll take £18m from the 13/14 accounts, after taking nowt for a couple of years.

The original repayment was for the overdraft and small loan when we went down was it not ? Would this not be the first repayment from the original/big/his cock up debt ?

I don't think so.

£140m debt when we came back up included £29m Ashley had put in after relegation to keep things ticking over.  That's the last he put in.

£11m was repaid in 2011 I think and £18m remains to be repaid.

If he starts recouping the big wedge we have a more pain to come, but I think he wants that debt left in place.  He runs SD with debt and he's incolved with 5 clubs all with a history of debt problems.  Even if he sold NUFC, he could uyse the debt as leverage in retaining his existing retail/advertising deals.