Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

We've just made a sizeable profit in the January transfer window man. I can't begin to understand what has brought you to the conclusion that we're all of a sudden about to start splashing the cash.

The first sentence is one of the reasons for the conclusion in your second sentence.

I was saying the same thing this time last year too.  I thought we would double previous spending and I fell short with that estimate.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/34855-clement-grenier/?p=1255479

I'd expect us to spend in Summer.

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-are-you-kidding-me-Michael-Jordan-GIF.gif

You don't think we will?

Last summer we spent £12m MORE than we had in the previous FIVE summers COMBINED.

B-rivAbUcAACULH.png

Exactly. Last Summer was a one off and certainly wasn't the norm.

We have the two Forest lads coming in plus Siem De Jong & Rolando Aarons back from injury. Over the course of the window we'll make a profit. Pretty likely there'll be one 'marquee' sale followed by a couple of players on the cheap in my opinion.

Or the previous 4 windows were an exercise in making the club self-sustaining and it will continue to invest the majority of whatever profits there are into new signings.

Depsite 10 years of evidence to the contrary?

We have spent almost all of our profits on transfers for the past ten years.  Except £11m that went on a loan repayment.

We'd have spent that on 2 years interest on loans under Shepherd.

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-are-you-kidding-me-Michael-Jordan-GIF.gif

You don't think we will?

Last summer we spent £12m MORE than we had in the previous FIVE summers COMBINED.

B-rivAbUcAACULH.png

We have the two Forest lads coming in plus Siem De Jong & Rolando Aarons back from injury. Over the course of the window we'll make a profit. Pretty likely there'll be one 'marquee' sale followed by a couple of players on the cheap in my opinion.

Or the previous 4 windows were an exercise in making the club self-sustaining and it will continue to invest the majority of whatever profits there are into new signings.

We have spent almost all of our profits on transfers for the past ten years.  Except £11m that went on a loan repayment.

a) so we haven't

b)what's that got to do with anything?

What happened in January then?

Or when we sold Cabaye? What got spent then?

a) "almost" I said.

b) Without an owner or buyer willing to splash millions as a plaything, the club has to be self-sustaining.  The fact it is self-sustaining and spends what profits it earns rather than being an Ashley cash cow suggests the bumber profit we report will get reinvested too.

Did you see the chart?  We spent over £37m after selling Cabaye.  The club will still have a large cash surplus.

You don't think we will?

B-rivAbUcAACULH.png

a) so we haven't

b)what's that got to do with anything?

What happened in January then?

Or when we sold Cabaye? What got spent then?

a) "almost" I said.

b) Without an owner or buyer willing to splash millions as a plaything, the club has to be self-sustaining.  The fact it is self-sustaining and spends what profits it earns rather than being an Ashley cash cow suggests the bumber profit we report will get reinvested too.

Did you see the chart?  We spent over £37m after selling Cabaye.  The club will still have a large cash surplus.

We're about to announce HUGE profits. Come back then please.

Interesting if we extend spending profits on player sales to spending general profits from TV etc.

I have no doubt that we will.

I often think the anger at Ashley is misdirected.  We all hoped that a billionaire owner would start hammering millions of his own money into the team and coaching.  Once he had made clear he wouldn't do that then you can take his wealth out of the equation and look at how he runs the club as a self-financed entity.  Many people still fixate on wanting his billions spent.

In terms of transfers, the self-sustaining approach has been a success, on it's moderate aim of survival.  Profits are spent entirely on improving the club either on the field or on the balance sheet.  Loans are repaid only if and when the club can afford it having spent just enough on the squad to stay up.

As profits grow, so does spending power.

The failure of Ashley has been in completely obliterating our advantage over other clubs.  They all have the increased TV income as well.  But he has dropped Commercial and matchday income to West Ham and Sunderland levels.  Retail deals and advertising that benefit his shop ahead of Newcastle United reduce the profits we make and mean a process of stabilisation that could have taken one or 2 years takes 5 years.

a) "almost" I said.

Yes but nobody is talking about Shepherd are they? Where is the TV money then? we can afford to spend that no?

Shepherd?  You've lost me.

TV Money? Up until now?  No we can't afford to spend that because it's all been used to cover costs.  Operating profit  includes TV money and we've reported a loss every year.

Again, this is why I expect the bumper profits this year to be followed by a good summer spend.  It's also one of the reasons I've always been optimistic about Pardew's replacement.  The club can afford to look at starting to grow now, rather than surviving the loss making years.

Guest Roger Kint

Player sales(approx) 

2007 & 2008 - £20m

2009 - £27m

2010 - £25m

2011 - £40m

2012 - £10m

2013 - £13m

2014 - £30m

2015 - £10m

Sales under Ashley approx £155m. Just a small surplus of £40m ish

We have to buy as the squad is so thn at the minute, we will likely lose Sissoko, Tiote and maybe one or two more over the summer.  All the costs of these will be covered from player sales, Ashley wont allow any other money to spent.

We buy with what we generate from player sales, end of.

We get the best part of 150m from t.v money and revenue, plus 20m from transfer sales ever year but when we "spend" 20 pence on transfers we shoild be thankful. Hate these cunts.

Best part of £150m is a strange way of putting £78.2m

It doesn't matter if Wages eat up the vast majority of it as it has up until now.

a) "almost" I said.

Yes but nobody is talking about Shepherd are they? Where is the TV money then? we can afford to spend that no?

Shepherd?  You've lost me.

TV Money? Up until now?  No we can't afford to spend that because it's all been used to cover costs.  Operating profit  includes TV money and we've reported a loss every year.

Again, this is why I expect the bumper profits this year to be followed by a good summer spend.  It's also one of the reasons I've always been optimistic about Pardew's replacement.  The club can afford to look at starting to grow now, rather than surviving the loss making years.

You brought him up! Not me!

Aye well we will see, optimism towards Ashley is just so unfounded  these days  shocked it still exists

Ah, you were referring back 2 posts. Soz.

I'm not optimistic about Ashley.  See my other post about what he's done wrong.

I just don't see the evidence for him pocketing tens of millions of the clubs income people seem to suggest.

Guest dazzanufc1892

I'm expecting the biggest face turn ever from Mike this summer - he's going for Cenaesq face status

great reference, zero chance.

Guest Roger Kint

B-sJnMHUEAEYqSf.png

Apart from after being relegated we've never really sold big in summer.

We've not spent much more than we've recouped either, except last summer.  When profits grew.

Always easier to look like we spend when you ignore the £70M+ we made over various January windows :lol:

John Anderson is an absolute turd. Irritates me how the likes of him are privileged with a public voice on matters regarding the club.

For heaven's sake - is that overpaid, under-talented Irishman still waffling on about NUFC and trying to justify his publicly-paid existence on a channel funded by Licence payers..?

How anyone can have any credence with Anderson's opinions I don't know.

Turn the bu---r off..!!!

B-sJnMHUEAEYqSf.png

Apart from after being relegated we've never really sold big in summer.

We've not spent much more than we've recouped either, except last summer.  When profits grew.

Always easier to look like we spend when you ignore the £70M+ we made over various January windows :lol:

Yep...You beat me to that one.

Its all about context.

We`ve continually under invested for years under Ashley now.

I would imagine there'll be a few arses in Fenwicks window were he ever to go & provide serious investment in the team / squad before he fucks of into the sunset.

We cant compete with the likes of Southampton FFS