Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Just caught up on the last few pages. Bugger me. We know he loves an outsource, but this does go some way to explain why our commercial revenues are in the toilet despite the fact we've been apparently having super duper kit launches.

On the plus side this makes any boycott (and anyone who buys any of the tat the club are churning out needs a slap) a lot more effective because it's not our revenue that takes the hit, it's Sports Direct.

Boycotting SD is actually probably a much better way to hit him, if that's what you want to do.

No it wouldn't. How would Ashley know it was Newcastle fans boycotting Sports Direct? In fact how would he know any group of people was boycotting Sports Direct?

To be honest, I doubt any kind of campaign would be successful, but I would prefer to see an organised protest along the lines of the Man Utd scarf thing than boycotting matches.  You'll never get a substantial enough amount of people to boycott matches (especially if they have already shelled out money) and by its nature a boycott is more passive display.  I think it is easier to mobilise people with something more active and passionate.

Guest neesy111

Only way is for people to start giving up their ST's from next season.  I can see a reduction in ST's for next season happening but won't be massive.

Only way is for people to start giving up their ST's from next season.  I can see a reduction in ST's for next season happening but won't be massive.

It needs the local and national media to expose him..

Then it will get the exposure it requires but to get attention the fans need to make the media sit up first.  Can you imagine the coverage  of a home game live on sky with only a few K in the stands. Bingo.  Everyone else outside.

Surely any campaign to remove Ashley would get more support if, for once, they could come up with a coherent plan of what is supposed to happen in the unlikely event that they succeed.

Or, perhaps they live in some fantastical world where they think calling him a few names will make him hand over a 200 million pound asset.

Any campaign needs to be coordinated, have one very simple, easily articulated demand and avoid the petty People's Front of Judea/Judean People's Front squabbling that usually kicks off when one party floats an idea that an other disagrees with.

As much as I loathe them Liverpool's campaign to get Hicks & Gillett out, while hysterical in places, was very well done.

Whilst the suggestion of a boycott is well meaning & in principal a powerful tool if "successful". It is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to attract the kind of numbers to force any tangible change in Ashleys mind-set.

Some of the posts in this thread are alarmingly lucid & informative but, unfortunately, insular. I would suggest that attendance to home matches are seen by most as an important element in their social life, and that to sacrifice them, would be a sacrifice too far. I think there are a few more rungs down the ladder we need to go to in order to convince enough people bite their noses off on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, a boycott of Sports direct would be both unrealistic, in terms of the lack of alternative sports shops on the high street (Ashley now has a monopoly in this market) for people who could be arsed to look for one & inconsequential, in terms of its potential to hit Ashley hard enough to care.

I am becoming more ambivalent towards Ashley as the days go on. I find his stewardship unambitious, embarrassing & crass at the best of times but I just wonder what would come over the hill should he decide to bail out.

Whilst the suggestion of a boycott is well meaning & in principal a powerful tool if "successful". It is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to attract the kind of numbers to force any tangible change in Ashleys mind-set.

Some of the posts in this thread are alarmingly lucid & informative but, unfortunately, insular. I would suggest that attendance to home matches are seen by most as an important element in their social life, and that to sacrifice them, would be a sacrifice too far. I think there are a few more rungs down the ladder we need to go to in order to convince enough people bite their noses off on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, a boycott of Sports direct would be both unrealistic, in terms of the lack of alternative sports shops on the high street (Ashley now has a monopoly in this market) for people who could be arsed to look for one & inconsequential, in terms of its potential to hit Ashley hard enough to care.

I am becoming more ambivalent towards Ashley as the days go on. I find his stewardship unambitious, embarrassing & crass at the best of times but I just wonder what would come over the hill should he decide to bail out.

I know what you're saying, the reason I don't think it's worth staying away is that it will never happen in big enough numbers for a long enough time. Also, like you say, the actual match is a nice relief from the constant debating about what's going on.

Get those clapper boards that clubs like Fulham give to their fans to make a noise. Get JD sports to pay for them in return for their logo to dominate the clapper board. Hand the clapper boards out on arrival to SJP on a televised match and then all of a sudden, one of SD's competitors has its logo displayed at SJP to the world for free.

I know what you're saying, the reason I don't think it's worth staying away is that it will never happen in big enough numbers for a long enough time. Also, like you say, the actual match is a nice relief from the constant debating about what's going on.

and is all that really matters to be honest

I remember going to a popular sports memorabilia / book shop (You know the one) in Newcastle before a game last season to buy a copy of True Faith. One bloke behind the counter asked if I also fancied a copy of "Black & White daft" while I was at it as it offered a more light hearted perspective on life around NUFC at the moment.

"There's only so many time you can call Ashley a fat bastard" he said.

I think this kind of sums up the majority of the support at the moment & is perhaps a fair reflection on society as a whole nowerdays.

I think we`re all fucked off with it / him but unless he bites the hand harder than he is at the moment, I just want to hold on to one of the few pleasures in life I still enjoy & can do well: Drinking & getting up for it at match days.

Guest neesy111

Get those clapper boards that clubs like Fulham give to their fans to make a noise. Get JD sports to pay for them in return for their logo to dominate the clapper board. Hand the clapper boards out on arrival to SJP on a televised match and then all of a sudden, one of SD's competitors has its logo displayed at SJP to the world for free.

Ashley owns 15% of JD Sports.

Ashley owns 15% of JD Sports.

:lol:

Very well put.

Guest neesy111

It's not like JD Sports are even a competitor really, they're a completely different type of shop.

It's JD now, and it's a Sports Fashion shop.  Nowt to do with selling sporting goods etc.

Horrible business btw.

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

I think making his public life uneasy would be much more effective than any boycott could ever be. I'm not advocating violence, but he should not be allowed to quietly have a pint in a Newcastle establishment without having a few fans around asking him the questions that need to be answered. I hate how in 7 years of ownership he has only ever felt the urge to communicate directly with the fans once, via an article in the matchday program. As the owner of an institution that holds a special place in so many people's lifes, he must be held to account for his mismanagement. We are entitled to know what his plans are for the club, maybe not legally, but very much morally.

Guest neesy111

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

Nah, I had a ST for that season and didn't get a free ticket.  The only people who got them were bond holders and those who got moved during the stadium expansion for a few years.

Very well put.

That is just an embarrassing mentality to be honest. Oh no, we shouldn't try and improve the club's situation as there is a slight risk the next owner might be even worse, as unlikely as it is. By the same token we may as well keep Pardew for the duration of his contract regardless of relegations or results, because you never how the next manager is going to fare.